5.0 out of 5 stars what you see is not what you get
This is a stand-alone story not in any way connected to the Grant County series - and thank goodness for that! After 'Faithless' I was feeling that Karin Slaughter had run out of steam or that perhaps her characters had! Fortunately, she has tried her hand at another batch of people and it really works.

This is a story not so much filled with twists and turns...
Published on 27 Jun. 2006 by Michael Watson

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best.......
Published on 5 July 2012 by Ilovebooks

5.0 out of 5 stars what you see is not what you get, 27 Jun. 2006
Michael Watson "skirrow22" (Halifax, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Triptych (Hardcover)

This is a story not so much filled with twists and turns more so filled with carefully rounded bends and curves. The reader is lulled into believing one thing when gradually it dawns that the belief is way off line. There are three main male characters and a host of lesser female ones but it is the male leads who create the confusion in the reader's mind. The story is very well crafted, very well written. I'm not sure whether the survivors are coming back for another follow-up so it would spoil the anticpation to reveal who they are but, even if they don't, Karin Slaughter has shown that a stand-alone story is more than a match for the has-beens of Grant County. Excellent.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent stand-alone thriller, 15 Aug. 2006
daveg (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Triptych (Hardcover)
In this stand-alone novel, Karin Slaughter throws a wider net plotwise by setting her story in the big city of Atlanta, but still maintains close, almost claustrophobic focus on her well-drawn characters. While some readers may see certain similarities between some of the new characters and those from the always excellent Grant County novels, there are some fine original creations here.

Slaughter also manages to throw in at least two huge surprises into the story, but importantly those twists WORK! There's no cheating, or Harlan Coben-esque "A-ha, gotcha!" writing - just plot points that come totally out of left field. One in particular has you reading back to an earlier scene that seemed so innocuous at the time, where you really appreciate the narrative sleight-of-hand that Slaughter pulls off perfectly.

A slight flaw that I almost feel guilty taking a star away for - the denoument is very familiar, almost a cliche in thriller writing. However, the fact that you care about the characters in peril mostly makes up for this, and Slaughter does manage to ring a lot of suspense out of these climactic scenes.

All in all, a fantastic thriller that shows that Karin Slaughter is one of the best crime writers around at the moment, whether writing about the eventful Grant County or not. A must-buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly absorbing, 7 Aug. 2006
Lola Creole (London,England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Triptych (Hardcover)
I feel there is not much more I can write about Triptych as the previous reviewer was spot on when he said this book is excellent. It is rare for me to be so utterly moved by a story that parts of it reduced me to tears and other parts caused my heart to race in anticipation. To me, Triptych is an exquisite gift of a read. Perfection. Be warned though. Take the phone off the hook and find somewhere comfy to curl up in. For once you start reading this you will be gripped until the very end.

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't take anything for Granted, 22 Jan. 2007
O E J - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Triptych (Hardcover)
Sometimes it's not a good idea to read these reviews before reading the book they are based on! In this case I read every single review (although I bought the book in any case, being a KS fan) and I was lead to believe by some that there was to be a major twist in the story that would have me rifling back through the pages to see how I could have missed the various tricks and red herrings. Well, although I enjoyed Triptych, my expectations were almost sky-high as I waited for the big twist with an ever-widening grin on my face.

And I waited. And I waited. Until I reached the very last page and I discovered to my disappointment that there simply wasn't one. But I can't blame the author or the synopsis inside the dust jacket, because I was fooled by one or two other reviewers here on Amazon. The strange thing is that in spite of this heightened level of expectation I probably enjoyed the book more than I would have done. It's a slight departure from the Grant County series, all of which I own, whether or not it's better than any of them is hard to say but there was enough of a difference in style to justify this tale being a stand-alone as opposed to number six. It's told from mainly four perspectives - three people on the right side of the law, and one on the wrong side. The surprises emerge when you find that although it's still three against one towards the end of the story, two of those characters have effectively swapped sides.

A triptych is a set of three tablets or painted panels hinged together to form one work or art, making one image when open and another when closed. One thing inside, another out: just like one of the leading characters.

I can't help but feel that there could have been a brilliant `coup de théâtre' at the very end, just as I had allowed myself very willingly to expect there to be, something that would have made this a truly brilliant read. Sadly it was not to be, and the conclusion was merely conventional and far from unique. It's still a worthy addition to the Slaughter portfolio however, and it's clear that anyone who has enjoyed her previous works will be more than satisfied with this latest offering.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book!!!, 21 Feb. 2007
Claire Rowley (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Triptych (Hardcover)
Having read all of the Grant County books and enjoying them all I was keen to read Karins latest offering. Any doubts I had that it would not meet the high standards set by her previous books were gone as soon as I started to read it. This book is BRILLIANT!!! I absolutely loved it and struggled to put it down. It's definitely one of those rare books where you can't wait for the ending but are disappointed when you finish it because you didn't want it to end! This is a must read whether you've read Karins earlier books or not. If you haven't yet discovered what a great writer she is, read this book first and then make sure you read the Grant County series. You won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes you think.., 11 Oct. 2006
This review is from: Triptych (Hardcover)
An excellent twist and turn page turner, not until you are almost half way through the book do you start to even glimpse the full picture.

The first few chapters read like a standard crime who dunnit police novel and then suddenly you turn a page and seem to start a whole new novel. Gradually it starts to come together and at first you think no..I must have this wrong. A little gory in places, disturbing virtually all the way through, not only through the imagery but also through the fact that your sympathy seems to lie with the wrong person and you can't help yourself.

The only criticism I would have is that with a few of the characters, we are offered very small glimpses into their past lives that made me think that I had skipped a Slaughter book somewhere, but no this is a stand alone novel. Hopefully Slaughter is setting us up for a new series, delving into the characters a little more!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best......., 5 July 2012
I love karin slaughters books and I have yet to read a bad one, however the reason this gets 3 stars is due to some areas of the plot. While it is a good introduction to Grant County and Will Trent, there are a lot of areas which I found unnecessary and too graphic (no I am not easily scared - after all I am a paramedic!) to digest. I did find this hard to get into and continue reading and certain descriptive information left me feeling nauseous and unwilling to continue. Luckily I kept with it as it is still a good book, but just not to Karins usual flawless standards.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner ......., 22 May 2007
Jules "policechick" (Hertforshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Triptych: (Will Trent / Atlanta series 1) (Paperback)
As a confirmed fan of the Grant County series of books I was optimistic that this stand alone book by Karin Slaugher would be good. It's not good it's fantastic!

It's the story of three great characters - Michael Ormewood an Atlanta Detective, Will Trent a Special Investigator and John Shelley an ex-con, sent down for murder and now out on parole.

It's a gritty and unrelenting read that gradually entwines the three characters into a climax that is both shocking and unexpected. There are clues that you can pick up as the story builds but it's a page turner in the truest sense - you really want to see if your suspicions about what you think is happening are correct.

Whilst I still can't wait for the next Sara Linton / Jeffery Tolliver book, I definitely think that Will Trent deserves another outing some time soon.

If you're a fan of Karin Slaughter, I guarantee you won't be disappointed by this book

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good!, 13 May 2008
J.Flood (Dublin,Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Triptych: (Will Trent / Atlanta series 1) (Paperback)
A prostitute is murdered on the steps of her apartment, in a run down area of Atlanta, and Detective Michal Ormewood is sent to the scene. The police soon discover that there have been a number of recent, similiar attacks, although not always fatal, involving younger victims. The Georgia Bureau of Investigation send one of their agents, Will Trent, who has been investigating these similiar crimes, to assist the Atlanta Police Department with their investigation.

I found this book an engrossing read. There is always something going on in it, that makes you want to read on. The characters in it have depth, and personality, which makes you care about them, when they are in perilious situations. There is a bit of jumping backwards and forwards at the beginning of the novel, but it all starts to make sense fairly quickly, as all is not as what the reader may have originally thought at the start of the book.

This is a standalone book, and not part of the Grant County series.

5.0 out of 5 stars a great read!, 5 April 2007
This review is from: Triptych (Hardcover)
This is a stand alone thriller by the author of the Grant County books and is excellent from start to finish.

It is hard to give much of a review of the book without spoiling the whole plot.

The characters are well written and portrayed excellently in this thriller which has a twist about it, letting the reader run with their imagination on who the murderer is!

This is a book definately well worth reading!

Triptych: (Will Trent / Atlanta series 1)
Triptych: (Will Trent / Atlanta series 1) by Karin Slaughter (Paperback - 26 April 2007)
Used & New from: £0.01