Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 13 January 2009
Why the site says this is unavailable is anyone's guess: it's not. And the fact that it's not listed under the author's name is another annoyance. However...

Saw this in the shop I work at. Never heard of him before. Read the back, read the author biog. "...quietly drank himself to death"... sounded like my kind of writer. I bought it. Three novels in one, too: very nice. Researched him after i bought it, found his style was said to be "unusual". Oh dear... trepidation ensued. I picked it up nervously, and started the first novel, Nothing, an account of a meddling mother and father's (friends, not married), influence and observance of their own children's lives, their loves. And it was brilliant. Green's style is completely unique; I've read nothing like this dialogue-heavy, play-like narrative before, with it's quirky, at-odds descriptions that are powerful for their oddity. I loved it. I was so glad to have picked this volume up. Green's perception of his characters as they interact with one another in a series of one-on-one situations is wonderful. Gradually a picture swarms up of the four lives concerned, and equally important to what Green shows you is what Green doesn't, what he has occur of-screen, as it were.

I loved reading Nothing. If you consider yourself widely read, and to have an appreciation of classic literature, you simply must give Green a go. A relatively forgotten novelist, it seems, but on the evidence of Nothing, a remarkably fine one. I review this book only having read the first of the three novels in it, but that alone was worth the price and the promise of two more. I look forward to reading the following efforts very much. Green is a quiet, completely unique gem in the crown of mid 20th century British literature. Superb!
on 13 October 2015
Thanks for providing books by Henry Green. One of my favourite writers who used to be hard to find.
on 11 May 2015