5.0 out of 5 stars A fat American speaks
As an overweight American woman of 31, I want to comment on this book. Never having been to Europe, I am not aware of the cultural food practices of Western Europe, but can tell you that America is a fat nation.
Published on 25 Feb. 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the usual diet book ...
This is an amusing read, with plenty of autobiographal detail, interspersed with recipes and exhortations to drink champagne!
Published on 4 Jan. 2005 by L. Melhuish

5.0 out of 5 stars A fat American speaks, 25 Feb. 2005
By A Customer
We too often eat garbage on the run, and inhale "low fat" foods en masse, and then wonder why we are fat and tired. I live in New Jersey, outside Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. This was the "Fattest City in the US" not too long ago. It's true! People don't walk, they drive short distances and are often too "busy" for exercise.
I love the book because it exposes the lie of convenience foods and reinforces that Americans are overdosing on sugar and refined flours. I've heard several people, both Americans and Europeans compare the sugar content and portion size with European food. We are refined in our eating, but not in a food way. We are overprocessed and undernourished.
I have started buying "good food" and preparing meals from scratch. I have cut out packaged snacks and the like.
Guess What? IT WORKS! I have lost 10 lb and feel better than I have in a long, long time. I have less gastric discomfort (blush) and am generally feeling healthy and more fit.
I found the French viewpoint refreshing, not snobbish. I won't be cooking with $35 champagne, but gleaned lots of helpful tips from the book.
I really feel the book is geared towards the fast food nation, the USA. Let us eat our cake, if only a small slice!
Best,
Zaftig American

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh my goodness!!!, 31 Aug. 2005
This book has completely changed my life and I cannot urge you to read it strongly enough!! Having battled with weight for all of my adult life including 2 pregnancies and a debilitating dependency on chocolate cheesecake which I grew to dread, my sister sent me this book! I am now a healthy and happy eater of all the things I love and only the things I love (having discovered a number of new ones previously untried) in, honestly very happy, moderation! This book has made food into a joy rather than a toil and given me back control! If I ever met this woman I would kiss her feet!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the usual diet book ..., 4 Jan. 2005
Whilst it is encouraging in its common sense approach - you can indulge in occasional good quality chocolate, drink moderate amounts of wine and there are no slavish commands about exercise - it does seem to be more directed towards the American market, not surprising as the author now lives most of the year in New York. There are useful recipes dotted about,which are healthy variations of more indulgent dishes. I was a little disappointed by the generally light-weight (excuse the pun!) approach but it is still an interesting read that celebrates women gaining greater control of eating whilst not stinting on joie de vivre.

4.0 out of 5 stars French Women Don't Get Fat - Live The French Paradox! Oui?, 28 Feb. 2005
Most diets don't work. Why? Because the people who follow the diets are dieting. We deprive ourselves of the food we love until we reach a goal. That could take years! Or we eat the foods we love in minute portions, mere tastes. Does one half cup of dark chocolate ice cream satisfy anyone? If one chooses to stick with a diet program forever, an almost permanent state of slimness occurs. Voila! Forever is a long time to live with deprivation...to state the obvious. And usually somewhere between resolution and goal, comes the binge. But I won't go there. Almost all of us have experienced this seeming endless cycle of weight management. Dieting has become an obsession! According to Mireille Guiliano's fascinating and sensible book, however, one can moderate and modify behavior and eat sensually - like the French. Bid deprivation adieu. Savor the food and wine you love and loose the fat you hate.
"French Women Don't Get Fat: The Secret of Eating For Pleasure" holds no secrets - no new weight loss methods are revealed here. REALLY! As a matter of fact, from page one, the author distances herself from all the popular fad diets. Mireille Guiliano, President and CEO of Cliquot Inc., is an extremely smart, savvy woman and tres chic to boot! Everything she writes here rings true, makes perfect sense and is beautifully penned. "French Women Don't Get Fat," (which is not totally true - I saw some pretty hefty women, even in Paris!), makes for a good read, provides food for thought, more than a soupcon of wit, and some wonderful recipes: Zucchini Flower Omelet, Aasparagus Tart, a Plum Clafouti made without dough, Salad of Duck a l'Orange, Grilled Peaches with Lemon Thyme, Chicken au Champagne, Croissants, and even Mousse au Chocolat.
"The French Paradox," the ability to eat good food, drink fine wine, (or beer), and remain slim is apparently a matter of attitude, with a smidgeon of wisdom and a pinch of common sense thrown in for good measure. The French are notorious for wining and dining, yet they are thinner and healthier than calorie conscious Americans - and Brits too! Mireille attributes the French women's penchant for slimness to their attitude toward food, which focuses on the best and freshest ingredients consumed in moderation, and frequent, brisk walking. It is all a matter of restraint and simple exercise. Madame Guiliano quotes Colette, who once described the table as "a date with love and friendship." Be good to yourself, be good to your body, and enjoy! This is Mireille's basic message. One of the main messages I received from the book is "savor, don't stuff."
The emphasis is on the positive - more dos than don'ts. But you know all this - right? Do eat slowly. Do drink wine with meals, (one glass), along with a glass of water. Eat plenty of fruit, veggies, et la salade vert. Oui? Eat three meals a day. And indulge yourself occasionally, with moderation. Have 3/4 of a cup of ice cream, and if you are having a salad for lunch with olive oil and vinegar, or fresh lemon juice, indulge in a full cup! As for chocolate, and she is a big chocolate fan, eat it, relish it. Hold it in your mouth and let it melt; exercise those taste buds. Don't eat on the sly, as we sometimes tend to do. Food does not taste as good when served along with a portion of guilt. There's hardly a mention of calories in the entire book. Refreshing!
Mireille does share personal anecdotes, memories of growing up in a close knit family with a mother and grandmother who cooked. One of her stories, in particular, remains with me. She came to the US when she was 18 and spent a year as an exchange student in the affluent Boston suburb of Weston, MA. And did she ever discover the joys of brownies, chocolate chip cookies, bagels, and American-sized portions. She gained 20 pounds that year. Her father didn't recognize her when she returned to France. He told her she looked like a sack of potatoes. Cruel? Honest. This made an impression on the young woman, which remains with her to date. She did something about it too, with the help of her family physician. A natural raconteur, Ms. Giuliana also shares memories of her first taste of champagne at age six, picking tiny wild blueberries, (called myrtilles), in the woods near her grandmother's house, and a most memorable experience eating oysters at a seaside restaurant in Brittany.
This is the ultimate non-diet book. It is up-beat, life affirming, sensible and I really enjoyed reading it! You will too!!
JANA

5.0 out of 5 stars French Diet the French way, 16 Nov. 2005
In a time when so many soi-dissant experts and opportunists climb on the French Diet fad bandwagon, it is refreshing to find a sensible French woman who with no degrees whatsoever nor boring scientific mambo-jumbo writes an entertaining, user-friendly book on what eating à la française is all about. This is the way we have been eating in my family for generations (I am of French origin) and I have never had a single overweight next of kin. Besides, Guiliano has simplified traditional French recipes which are delicious and easy to whip up in minutes. French people are hedonistic: they eat everything but slowly and in small portions. No cravings, no deprivation. Guiliano's is THE method. I cannot recommend it highly enough. Personally, I have read it for pleasure, but I'm sure that anybody who needs to lose weight should succeed once they get into the mindset proposed by Guiliano. Forget other books with their technical charts, survey facts and stats: this is a woman writing from experience and from the French kitchen standpoint. The only technical data you need to know is that according to European Union statistics French women are the slimmest women in Europe, weighing almost five kilos less than British women, even if British women are shorter. So let Guiliano see to your weight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eating and Reading for Pleasure, 30 Dec. 2004
Bravo. I gave this wonderful book to my American wife and then could not put it down. It is beautifully written, and who doesn't want to know the secrets of enjoying Champagne and eating well on the road to good health and weight? I certainly do. The handsome volume is a collection of stories and recipes and tips and tricks by a successful and slender French businesswoman who lives in New York and Paris that gets you into the mind and body of one of a breed of admirable women that seems a dying species in today's world of mindless consumption and endless unhealthy temptations. And it is all about pleasure! Madame Guiliano's lifestyle book is full of common sense and self-evident truths you wish you had formally recognized before and is right on the mark as far as the chic French of a certain age go. It certainly makes you want to throw away all those diet books that really don't work. She is an apostle of thinking and moving, and she has already got me taking the stairs and drinking lots more water...and savoring every bite of the good things I put into my mouth.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Charming Memoir about Eating, Drinking and Living Well, 25 Feb. 2005
Donald Mitchell "Jesus Loves You!" (Thanks for Providing My Reviews over 127,000 Helpful Votes Globally) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Whenever I have traveled to France, I have found myself marveling at two things:
1. I usually lose weight even though I eat great meals and drink more wine than at home;
2. I see a smaller percentage of obese people (especially women) than in any other developed country I visit.
After much observation and discussion, I've concluded in the past that the French provide smaller portions of everything, don't go in for "all you can eat" buffets, eat less processed food, make things delicious so that they are more satisfying in smaller quantities, and walk a great deal compared to Americans. More recently, I've noticed that most of the food is nouvelle so there isn't much fat, sugar or starch in it.
Voila! That's exactly the conclusion that Ms. Guiliano makes as well as she recounts her journey from becoming a fat teenager as an exchange student binging on brownies in my current hometown of Weston, Massachusetts to prospering as a slim French woman married to an American in the United States. In addition, she is CEO of Clicquot, Inc. which means that she regularly indulges in Champagne rather than the red wine that so many believe helps keep the French slimmer.
As I read the book, I realized that Ms. Guiliano captured most of the best lessons of the South Beach Diet which I used successfully last year. The main difference between the recommended eating plans is that Ms. Guiliano has you start by creating an eating diary. With this diary, you figure out where you have bad eating habits. Then you begin to gradually reduce those eating habits in ways that leave you feeling comfortable and happy. The South Beach Diet briefly slashes (for two weeks) your intake of fats and carbs so that any insulin problems you have developed can be overcome.
If you wanted to use Ms. Guiliano's advice and the South Beach diet, you could combine them by doing the eating diary, then doing stage one on South Beach and then combining both sources for recipes and eating advice as you continue to lose and then maintain your weight. I thought that Ms. Guiliano had the better advice on maintenance.
I've also watched my wife eat a broad variety of foods frequently and in small quantities, walk a lot and easily keep her weight under control. Her experience also validated Ms. Guiliano's observations for me.
But for me, the best part of this book is partaking of Ms. Guiliano's many expressions of joie de vivre relating to food. I've come to appreciate my forays into buying fresh fruit and vegetables and preparing them in new ways. She explains the many joys of that pastime very well. Her recipes are simple to make and seem intriguing. I intend to try many of them.
Her writing is a delight, dropping in lots of little French phrases to give the book a particular charm. N'est-ce pas?
The books I enjoy the most are the ones that introduce me to someone I would like to have as a friend. Ms. Guiliano ranks above almost all writers in this regard, especially among the normally oh-so-serious nonfiction authors who preach to us rather than love us as we are. Ms. Guiliano clearly loves the slim person hiding within us, along with our passions for certain foods and eating events.
Whether you are looking to lose weight or not, I recommend this book to anyone who wants to enjoy life more. Pourquoi pas?

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book., 18 Nov. 2012
This review is from: French Women Don't Get Fat: The Secret of Eating for Pleasure (Paperback)
I love this book, it was a gift from my Mum when we moved to France and I really enjoyed reading it. I learnt quite a few good healthy living tips from it and it has since become a treasured possession. At the time I did have a number of kilos to shift and the free flowing wine and cheese here in France wasn't helping! I liked the case studies and the simple way she puts it - weight loss is no mystery you just have to balance what goes in with how much you move. Taking stock of what you eat and integrating movement into your daily lifestyle is key. I must admit being in France with time, an orchard, a vegetable garden and a dog to walk has helped us to do this. Things are a bit different from our previous life where an hour and a half sitting on a train commuting to London, all day sat at a desk then another hour and a half back on the train were normal.

The thing I rather amusing however is that the one thing she keeps banging home is that French women don't waste money on gym membership as they are sensible enough to take the stairs rather than the lift and walk rather than go by car. A good idea definitely, but she has never been to my bit of France that is obvious. Our village is small, but all the French kids arrive at the bus stop by car, and if there is anything on at the salle des fêtes they all drive, needless to say some of the French ladies in the village could do with reading her book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Throw away your diet books, 9 April 2005
By A Customer
This is an excellent book for serial dieters who want to get off the starve\binge\penance treadmill. It is all about throwing away the Anglo-Saxon puritan attitudes that make us hate our food, hate ourselves and, ultimately, get fatter. Instead, you can eat great food while focusing on balance and variety instead of rules, embrace the pleasure of food instead of seeing it as an enemy to be conquered, and start eating like a normal human being again.
Trust me - you will lose weight, slowly but surely, if you follow the recommendations in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book that makes a difference., 18 Nov. 2011
After reading this book, several things changed in my life:

1. I enjoy walking more, as this is the natural way of French women to keep weight on check.
2. I enjoy food more and take it slowly, as this is the way French women do to have a better digestion.
3. I eat more often but in small quantities, as French women never starve themselves but never staff themselves either.
4. I take a deep breath sometimes and make a yawn at work, as French women do this to keep stress level down
......

It is a fun book to read and change your life in a pleasant and positive way. Recommend to every woman who loves a balanced and healthy life!

French Women Don't Get Fat: The Secret of Eating for Pleasure
French Women Don't Get Fat: The Secret of Eating for Pleasure by Mireille Guiliano (Paperback - 2 Feb. 2006)