1 Review

3.0 out of 5 stars Tom Lindup, 20 Jan. 2008
Thomas Lindup "tlindup" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Past (Hardcover)
This book addresses a subject that we can all identify with, and then takes it to extremes. As the name indicates, it is to do with the history of two individuals who were in a long term relationship. The analysis of memory and reaction to the breakdown of this relationship is intelligent, intricate and very interesting, however, it is the goings on around the relationship which demonstrate the author's clever imagination and rather bizarrely, slightly dark humour. Themes are skillfully interwoven, often taking us off on such a tangent that any attempt to predict the connection to the main story is borderline impossible.

No matter what the main protagonist Rimini does, he cannot seem to escape from the twelve year relationship he had with Sofia. Rimini wants to move on, Sofia is convinced they are soul mates. Rimini is faced with constant reminders of her, and his obvious breakdown still fails to purge her from his life. The last fifty pages of the book in terms of quality are not representative of the book as a whole, and for some reason were a little hard going. Sometimes sentence structure, whilst I'm sure deliberate, was rather cumbersome. Whilst I was not looking for an "and they all lived happily ever after" ending, I am still unsure what ending we got, if we got one at all. Despite this, this book is a good read, and I look forward to Pauls' next offering.

The Past
The Past by Alan Pauls (Paperback - 6 Mar. 2008)