5.0 out of 5 stars Touching and wise
The Accidental Tourist is a wonderful novel. It is beautifully written and very wise and sensitive. The characters are ordinary people and the plot is full of everyday occurences, and yet I was turning the pages as if I was reading a nail biting thriller.

I'm always hearing that good writers should 'show and not tell', and Anne Tyler does this to perfection...
Published on 21 Sep 2008 by Veronica

3.0 out of 5 stars Enter Muriel.
Macon the traveller who hates travelling can be forgiven for being boring. Macon lost his only child in a senseless murder and his marriage collapses. A recipe for despair you might think! Well, yes and no. Yes because he cannot properly grieve or piece his life together. No because the process of his life is comic in the face of inevitable twists and turns. Enter...
Published on 2 Sep 2006 by Mark Dickens

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Macon Leary - one of my heroes, 23 Sep 2008
This review is from: The Accidental Tourist (Paperback)
This has been my favourite book for over ten years, and one which I read again and again. Each read reveals a new layer to the story. The biggest enjoyment I get from it is that someone like Macon has the ability to change, just by meeting that one special person.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written, funny and sad in places., 5 Feb 2002
This review is from: The Accidental Tourist (Paperback)
This is my first Anne Tyler book, I'm sure it won't be my last. The characters are so well described I found them occupying my dreams! The book really does tug at the heartstrings in places, and had me laughing out loud in others. You decide how to pronounce Macon's name, that isn't a problem. What was a problem was realising how much pain people can experience through the course of every day life. A brilliant book, a shame the ending seemed a little rushed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quirky, captivating and profound, 17 Nov 2011
This review is from: The Accidental Tourist (Paperback)
This was my introduction to Anne Tyler and made me a firm fan. She has a grasp of dialogue that is like no one else's and can advance a character and plot in just a couple of lines of speech. The plot treads the line between being quirky and realistic beautifully. There are no happier hours than those spent with one of her novels....

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 5 Oct 2011
This review is from: The Accidental Tourist (Paperback)
This book is a little different. It took awhile for me to adapt to the style of writing and it's slightly mad in places, but that just added to the charm once I got into it. In fact, it's crazy enough to believable!
The theme is bittersweet, it has laugh-out-loud funny episodes as well as some pitifully sad scenes. The eccentric characters grew on me and by the end I liked and cared about them all.
I think The Accidental Tourist would appeal to both male and female readers. Now I want to read Anne Tyler's other books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another fantastic read from Anne Tyler, 21 Jan 2009
This review is from: The Accidental Tourist (Paperback)
Even if you haven't read other Anne Tyler's books, you can't be disappointed with this offering. I thought it was one of her better novels story-wise, and as ever extremely real and readable. The story and style is both sentimental and absorbing, it is hard not to fall in love with her characters.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sad, but funny, unusual story of boy-meets-girl, 12 July 2001
By A Customer
I have never yet read a novel by Anne Tyler which has failed to please in some way. She writes with a gentle sympathy mixed with humour about everyday lives in the USA. Her characters are always well-rounded and entirely credible, but all the central characters have some oddity. The Accidental Tourist is MUCH deeper than the film version (though I found that excellent) about a dysfunctional family of siblings and how one - maybe two - members are brought back to life and contentment by love. The main protaganists - and dog - are very amusing and for once it all ends as I wanted. The attraction about Ms Tyler's novels is that she always leaves you both wanting more and thinking about the events and the personalities that people her books: that is my criteria of a good read!

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book!, 26 July 1999
This review is from: The Accidental Tourist (Paperback)
To me this book is one of the best I have read in years. It somehow captured me totally, and I like books that shows love for humans of all kind, not just the typical "perfect" couple where they all look good, have money, and have travelled all over the world and are brilliantly intelligent..
I STRONGLY recommend this book to everyone that is interested in people and warmhearted fiction.

3.0 out of 5 stars Loved the book, hated the characters, 13 Mar 1999
This review is from: The Accidental Tourist (Paperback)
The man at the heart of this book is Macon, writer of travel books which enable Americans to find a home from home on their journeys. I found it tremendously irritating that Anne Tyler had chosen such an unusual name for her lead character and yet didn't give the poor reader any information upon which to base their pronounciation of the name. It was something which tripped me up every time his name appeared. Macon's only son has been killed, and his marriage is failing. Early on, his wife leaves. Soon, Macon is embroiled with a dog trainer who seems to pursue him just to the point where he begins to pursue her. An accident leads Macon to return to his family home to live with his brothers and sister, and Macon seems to begin to gain an insight into the strangeness of his background and of those same relatives. Macon finds himself moving in with Muriel, the dog trainer, and her multiply-allergic son, but always seems to be on the edges of her life, not fully engaged in it. Then, a chance meeting with Sarah, his wife, leads to a reunion, and Muriel is left once again on her own. Macon clearly thinks he has left her behind him when he jets off to France to revise his book on Paris.
I found the book very easy to read, and enjoyed it, despite disliking nearly every character. There are some genuinely funny moments which had me laughing out loud. I would say that it is definitely a good holiday read - easy to pick up, and with comic highlights.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read, 2 July 2014
I read this for my book group, as one of our number said she had read all of Anne Tyler's work and recommended this book for last month. After a slow start I really got into the book.however, I felt that there was much more she could have done with a lot of the other character and, indeed, we all felt that a separate book about the sister, Rose, would be a good novel!
Basically, it a book about a whole slew of dysfunctional people, trying to make sense of their lives. Macon, the Accidental Tourist of the title, writes books for American business men who have to travel away for home frequently. The premiss of these little guides is that they show exactly where everything, to give a home from home feel to the trip, can be found. At first I thought this ludicrous, but then thought of all the English Breakfasts and Irish Bars that are so popular in tourist areas - and changed my mind!!
At the start of the book Macon and his wife Sarah separate. We learn that their son was killed in an horrific shooting and that they are dealing with it, but each in their own way and this has driven a wedge between than as a couple, which is often the case with people who lose children. Macon already has very limited social skills (Imwondered how he ever got married) and become reclusive after Sarah leaves and his behaviour becomes ever more erratic as he tries to cope with living alone. He meets Muriel, who is so different to anyone he has ever know and they start, after she pursues his vigorously, a relationship. Muriel has a son, who Macon struggles with but eventually they form a bond. Macons family are all, similarly, socially challenged and, indeed, all of them are 'directionally dyslexic', being virtually unable to find their way to anywhere new - another ironic feature of Macon's career!
His sister Rose, cares for his two brothers and all three sibling still live in the family home. None of them seem to think this odd, for do they query that Rose simply acts as a housekeeper to them. They are all perfectly pleasant characters and do not see just how weird their lives are - for instance, no one ever answers the phone if it rings!! Rose eventually meets Macon's publisher and marries him but leaves him to go back to the 'boys' as she called her two older brothers.
Clearly they all have problems that could and or/should be diagnosed and labelled - Aspergers, Autism spectrum, OCD, all seem apparent throughout the book but, like The Rosie Project, the people with the condition are so unaware this they are not 'normal' in their reactions that they just get on with their lives. An entertaining read and one that makes me want to read more from Anne Tyler. I will also be watching the film of the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Doggy Insights!, 19 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Accidental Tourist (Paperback)
This is an exceptional book which stood up to my reading it again after almost 30 years.I was struck afresh with how exceptional it is. A lot of the reviews have already commented on how brilliantly Anne Tyler gets inside each of her characters.

I thought I would just add that she also knows how to write about dogs!

She brought Edward's personality alive, his loyalty, embarrassment, boredom, stubbornness and joyfulness on re-union with Macon. All his doggy emotions were captured beautifully.

It is a classic and it thoroughly deserves its 5 star reviews.

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

The Accidental Tourist
The Accidental Tourist by Anne Tyler (Paperback - 4 May 1995)
6.29