4.0 out of 5 stars Best Deborah Moggach book yet!
Published on 9 Aug 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Misunderstood
I didn't quite get Desmond. He seems like a person who needs no love, for his marriage with Hilda seems to be based on her good cooking and Edward, as he says it himself.
Published on 30 Nov 2007 by Me

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Deborah Moggach book yet!, 9 Aug 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Driving in the Dark (Paperback)
To be perfectly honest I only started reading this book because I'd just got back from holiday and had nothing else to read, however I am extremely glad I did. I started it at about 8pm last night, and didn't stop until I'd finished it. In the past I have found most of Moggach's novels somewhat tedious, lacking plot and interesting characters. Driving through the dark has both. The hero is a coach driver, recently seperated from his wife, who goes in search of his long lost son. Both funny and moving the book is written from Desmond's perspective and is extremely convincing. The only critisism I have is that the ending seemed rather weak, a bit of a cop out I felt, but not enough to ruin the book by any means. One question, is it me or have the characters at Gracelands popped up in a previous novel? Please don't tell me I'm going to have to trawl through the dreary earlier novels to find out!

4.0 out of 5 stars Compulsive reading, 4 May 2009
A. Alderson (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Driving in the Dark (Paperback)
Compulsive reading. A good commuting book - easy to pick up from where you left off though I found it unputdownable. It is a story about a 40 year old man who wants to discover his long lost son. I liked it because it was set in England, Desmond - the main character drove a big empty bus up and down the M1 and the M6 and I liked the fact that the main character was male. I think it's impressive when a female author can write from the perspective of a man so well.

3.0 out of 5 stars Misunderstood, 30 Nov 2007
This review is from: Driving In The Dark (Paperback)
How is this a fully formed character? His personality stays unknown, and yet, he is the main character. This is why I think that the story isn't finished, because not enough information are provided to close the story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Driving in the Dark, 22 April 2012
I enjoyed "Driving in the Dark" immensely! It is well written and Deborah Moggach brings to life the characters so expertly that I felt sympathy immediatley with the main character Desmond and his search for his son Edward. I was introduced to Moggach as an author when I went to the cinema to see "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel", enjoying it so much that I went on to read "These Foolish Things", another recommendation!

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great Deborah Moggach book., 1 Feb 2014
She has a great understanding of human nature and this book is better than a lot of hers.hard to put down

4.0 out of 5 stars Deborah Moggach is an excellent author, 17 Dec 2013
You get totally drawn into this book. Deborah Moggach mixes humour and pathos with an excellent storyline full of observations of life that ring true.

Driving In The Dark
Driving In The Dark by Deborah Moggach (Paperback - 4 Nov 2004)