4.0 out of 5 stars VALUABLE BIOGRAPHY
It is always fascinating how a Pole who started out as a merchant seaman and only learnt English when he was 18 became one of England's greatest novelists; Lord Jim, Heart of Darkness and The Secret Agent among his books. A well-written account of his sometimes turbulent life.
Published on 6 Aug. 2010 by R. M. D. Bennett

1.0 out of 5 stars Where is Joseph Conrad?
Published on 22 Nov. 2012 by Ms. J. Cantrell

1.0 out of 5 stars Where is Joseph Conrad?, 22 Nov. 2012
Ms. J. Cantrell (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Several Lives of Joseph Conrad (Paperback)
I'm afraid, I am about half-way through reading this and I still know little to nothing about Conrad the man. I know the dates that he sailed "in" or "on" ships, whose houses he visited on which dates, but nothing much more than a list of dry facts. This biography is painstaking on details, but infuriatingly frequently lapses into comments like "why did he choose her as his wife? We can only make guesses", "we will probably never know why he ...", "it is now impossible to know, after a lapse of so many years, what was in his mind when ..." and so on. I love reading biographies, but when I do so, it is to get inside the mind of the person and try to understand what it was like to live a life such as theirs. If you read biographies for the same reason, I think you are going to be very disappointed ....

4.0 out of 5 stars VALUABLE BIOGRAPHY, 6 Aug. 2010
R. M. D. Bennett "Rodney M Bennett" (Lonodn, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Several Lives of Joseph Conrad (Paperback)

The Several Lives of Joseph Conrad
The Several Lives of Joseph Conrad by John Stape (Paperback - 4 Sept. 2008)