5.0 out of 5 stars A word of caution about reviews
Published 11 months ago by S. Swaine

1.0 out of 5 stars absolutely boring
This is the first and last book i shall read by this author i can only agree with the other reveiwer its not worth 1 star let alone 5.It seems some people are so easily pleased but dont go out and buy it.
Published on 17 Jun 2012 by oldginger ebbw vale

5.0 out of 5 stars A word of caution about reviews, 29 Sep 2013
S. Swaine "Ammonite" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Double Cross (Mass Market Paperback)
One of the greatest benefits of online shopping are customer reviews (as long as they're not just a few effusive comments that could have been written by company employees!). I have been saved from many a bad purchase of e.g. electrical goods, by consistent but constructive bad reviews. However, where it is a matter of taste, rather than function, it must be taken into account that anyone can write a review. I was so alarmed by one person's one-star review of this book, a review which is more of a rant than a review, that for the first time ever I looked into the author and the other reviews written by him. From seeing the sort of material to which this reviewer awards five stars, I concluded that his tastes are so diametrically opposed to mine that I should dismiss his negative review entirely and not let it influence me. I suggest others also look into negative reviews and decide whether the person posting the negative review is someone whose opinion they might respect.
I'm a fan of Clive Cussler and thought 'Double Cross' to be in the same vein. I've yet to find a book that starts badly and gets better (I've struggled to stick with books in the past but always to no avail) and though I'm not far into this book (audio version) yet, it has me gripped.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good holiday read., 7 Dec 2012
This review is from: Double Cross (Mass Market Paperback)
If you are into scuba diving then you'll love this book. Got a twist at the end which kept it interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars A five star is born!, 18 Mar 2005
H. W. Steadman (New Zealand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Double Cross (Mass Market Paperback)
Highly recommended for prisoners of airline seats, sick-beds and Her Majesty. Not recommended for busy readers who cannot afford the time to guzzle 400 pages at one sitting. The average chapter length is only 5 or so pages - but alas they provide no obvious put down point as each ends with a barbed fish-hook for your attention. A swashbuckling treasure hunt both above and below the ocean's surface. The excitement is relentless and the style free flowing. I was fortunate to get a preview copy. I wish now I hadn't opened it until my next flight back to Europe.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I have read for a long time, 9 May 2005
This review is from: Double Cross (Mass Market Paperback)
I picked up a copy of Double Cross at the airport a few days ago (it is not on general release yet) and thoroughly enjoyed it. Woodrow's style is punchy, sharp and witty - the book is a joy to read. With 77 chapters over 400 pages it is written to allow you to put it down and come back later. But the gripping plot (the end is truly spectacular) means that the book is unputdownable.
This has to be the best thriller of the year. I can't wait for Woodrow to write a sequel!

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down!, 31 Aug 2005
This review is from: Double Cross (Mass Market Paperback)
My wife bought this for me at the airport, on the outbound journey of a long w/e. Well, Ed Strachan's adventures provided a journey enough by themselves - I was engrossed from Page 1! Whether I was in a queue, walking through the aiport or in a hotel reception, 'Banbury' held my attention at all times. Fantastic book. Great plot, love all the metaphors - Woodrow's style paints wonderful pictures in your mind. Felt like I had been there myself!

5.0 out of 5 stars Time flies by, 1 Sep 2005
Jack (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Double Cross (Mass Market Paperback)
On a recent flight to the US, I picked this up to kill a few minutes before the film started. Several hours later I put it down, finishing it just as my plane touched down, with my headset still in its plastic bag.
The plot is intelligent, fast-paced and gripping. The hook at the end of each chapter means it is impossible to put down. Only start this book when you have enough time to finish it.

1.0 out of 5 stars absolutely boring, 17 Jun 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Move Over Cussler!, 8 Jan 2010
Mr. E. J. C. Lloyd "Ed" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Double Cross (Mass Market Paperback)
Double Cross is simply one of the most exciting and credible thrillers you will ever read. From the very first page, I found this book impossible to put down and had to devour it in a couple of days - fortunately on the beach. Having read all Clive Cussler and Wilbur Smith as well as a lot of the newer writers, this is amongst the very best out there - a great debut from Patrick Woodrow and I look forward to the next installment of Ed Strachan's adventures!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Well Worth A Read., 2 May 2007
This review is from: Double Cross (Mass Market Paperback)
This book was found amongst the shelves of Boyes of all places and I wondered if it would be value for money. It starts at a fast pace and keeps you going throughout. It is a well thought out book with some clever twists and turns. My only negative comment is that the title forewarns you a little and it has an air of predictability about it.

Nonetheless I thoroughly enjoyed it and had it read in a couple of days, it merits my positive comments as it meets what I look for in a armchair book. As Patrick's first novel I feel he has a talent that he should follow.

As a diving instructor I was conscious of the technical facts of sub aqua diving and found them close enough to be right.

I look forward to future novels of this type in anticipation.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a debut!, 5 Feb 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Double Cross (Mass Market Paperback)
Double Cross is a triumph of a thriller in the vein of Clive Cussler. The complex plot twists and turns keeping the reader riveted. Patrick's debut is a fantastic read and anyone familiar with Dan Brown, Clive Cussler or for that matter, any well known thriller writer, should snap this title up if only to say that they read his first title of what will surely be many best sellers of the future. The diving action is accurately described and believable. The characters are well put together and colourful. I've grown bored of Cussler recently and will pre-order Woodrow's next title without hesitation.

Double Cross
Double Cross by Patrick Woodrow (Mass Market Paperback - 4 Aug 2005)
8.24