5.0 out of 5 stars The affair between man, woman and the divine
Like another reviewer, this is my favourite of Greene's books, and one I reread every 5 years or so.

The familiar Greene territory is all here - betrayal, guilt, responsibility, sin and redemption, and the uneasy, unwilling nature of faith, belief and spiritual identity

Unlike the works which are set in foreign or exotic locations, this book is set...
Published on 9 Jan 2010 by Lady Fancifull

3.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking but grim
This is not a book that you can relax with. It is not one of my favourites of Graham Greene’s books. It is a well written book and deserves credit for the fact the author has tried to give the viewpoints of different characters about the affair. But sometimes it is annoying as you go back and forth in time.

It is a grim book, not just because the end of...
Published 1 month ago by Discerning Reader

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and disturbing!, 5 Jan 2000
By A Customer
This book relates to our inner feelings and beliefs most of the time unknown to us. Sarah's promise to a God she doesn't believe in, for Him to keep her lover, Bendrix, alive is undeniably the highest proof of human Love and unaware Faith in God. The disturbing thing is the level of superstition mixed up in her faith - which is most of the time the way we believe in God! - and how fantastically Greene describes hers and his!, ambuiguities regarding God and faith.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a very complex, sad and beautiful story., 13 Aug 1999
By A Customer
It is a story about loss and eventual redemption through love. It encompasses religious passion, sexual love and the love of companionship. The characters are finely drawn, and the emotions described with great clarity yet restraint. The story is told with great subtlety. Anyone who has known the joy of love and the pain of a broken love affair will appreciate and identify with this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars "don't expect it to be like the film", 14 Oct 2000
By A Customer
Having seen the film "The End of the Affair" with my parents, I decided that it would be cultured of me to read the book. I enjoyed it so much, the feeling and expression with which it is written really conveyed the story to me. However, having seen the film I was a little disappointed with the end of the story. The moral of this - read the book first, and then watch the film!

4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping and quite poignant, 1 Jan 2008
John Hopper (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The End Of The Affair (Vintage Classics) (Paperback)
An interesting study of sexual and emotional jealousy and insecurity. The edning is very downbeat and bitter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hitchcock of the Mind!, 30 Aug 2013
This review is from: The End Of The Affair (Vintage Classics) (Paperback)
This is yet another one of Graham Greene's intricate, complicated, twisted stories about an illicit love affair that 'rights' itself by its own sacrifice. A cruel bitter fascinating book that belies the author's gender.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime!, 3 Aug 2013
This review is from: The End Of The Affair (Vintage Classics) (Paperback)
This is the fourth five-star Greene I have read this year- a great run- and this is the best.

A heart-breaking tale of an affair broken apart by jealousy and misunderstanding, and then kept apart partly by a sense of duty, but mainly by Sarah's "flirtation" with a God in whom she does not believe. A Catholic God ruling out happiness if it involved adultery- typical Greene.

Greene's mastery gives us both sides of the story, with Bendrix as narrator and from Sarah's diary.

Sublime Greene!

5.0 out of 5 stars Still my favourite Graham Greene 36 years after I first read it, 3 Feb 2013
B. Bampton (UK) - See all my reviews
I was 19 when I first read one of Green's novels. By the time I read the End of the Affair when I was 25 I'd got through another 20 of Greene's books. Since then, I've probably read a further dozen if you include short stories and autobiographies. This remains my favourite and if I was marooned on a desert island with 8 books this would be one of them.
It's the story of a man who was in the throes of a passionate yet unhappy affair with an acquaintance's wife when suddenly, without warning or reason, she left him. Two years later, he meets her again and becomes obsessed with finding out why she left. The book tells what he discovers, what happens next and how he responds when the affair finally ends for good.
Like several of Green's books, religion is an important element of the book, although it isn't a religious book per se. Another feature that is common to many of Greene's books is that several of the key characters are struggling with life in some way. From the opening narrative to the bitter ending I found it very moving.

4.0 out of 5 stars Far more an intricate portrait of human jealousy than a love story, 4 Feb 2012
R. A. Davison (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
The End Of The Affair is a post-war novel by hugely respected 20th Century writer Graham Greene.

The novel's protagonist Maurice Bendrix is a semi-successful writer looking back upon his affair with Sarah Miles, a civil servant's wife.

Bendrix recieves a hint from Henry, his ex lover's husband that he is afraid she is unfaithful, though their relationship has passed, the jealous passion that then consumes Bendrix sees him engage a private detective to monitor Sarah's movements.

The End Of The Affair is a love story I suppose but succeeds far much more as a story of jealousy. The sections where Bendrix reflects angrily on the loss of Sarah and his hatred for anyone who as ever had her before or since are by far the best written, the most achingly human, the most identifiable.

Personally , I felt that the reflections upon faith and religion, perhaps controversial in their day, somewhat missed the mark. It could be that they have merely dated and therefore should be viewed within their historical context. I'm sure that they provided a lot of debate in the papers of the day.

I have to say that the relationship between Bendrix and Henry, though at times poignant really did push the realms of plausibility and realism on occasion.

Additionally for a book which at 160 pages is not really a book I would expect to spend more than an afternoon on, I read it with several pauses in between, it wasn't terrible compelling, even though the writing itself was very sophisticated, as one would expect.

Funny, I kept imagining Ralph Fiennes as Bendrix as that's who played him in the movie which I haven't seen. He makes a perfect imaginary Bendrix though, so I think I may try and catch the movie sometime. 8.5/10

5.0 out of 5 stars My first encounter with Greene ~ won't be the last, 4 Jun 2010
This review is from: The End Of The Affair (Vintage Classics) (Paperback)
I absolutely loved this book. It was my first time reading a novel by Graham Greene, and I connected with his writing style immediately. He truly gets into the mind of the characters and effectively presented us with what was happening in the minds of other characters, despite being a first-person narrative. Going to try Brighton Rock next. Not sure of what it will be like but have also added the film to my Lovefilm list.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bizarre love rectangle.., 7 Aug 2001
By A Customer
Maurice Bendrix (novelist), Henry Miles (husband)and God (deity and all-powerful being) battle it out for the body and soul Sarah, the undoubted victim of the novel, and potential saint.
A great book with fantastic characters, particularly Parkis the private eye. The struggle of Sarah is very believable as she fights against God in order to achieve happiness with Bendrix, who is consumed constantly by a jealousy which ultimately overtakes his personality.
So, read the book. The film of the same name, despite having two great actors in it (and revealing large portions of Julianne Moore's flesh who is absolutely ravishing as she was in "An Ideal Husband") is nowhere near as good. Perhaps my mind was tainted by having read the novel, but to change a character so completely for the purposes of the film was stretching poetic licence to say the least. Smythe, in the novel an aetheist who preaches against the belief in any kind of higher being is transformed into (you've guessed it) a priest. Amazing.

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

The End Of The Affair (Vintage Classics)
The End Of The Affair (Vintage Classics) by Graham Greene (Paperback - 7 Oct 2004)