5.0 out of 5 stars a familiar old place, often revisited, never quite the same
Like a lot of reviwers here, I've been re-reading the Magus at odd points throughout my life, probably about once every 10 years on average. I've always admired and enjoyed it, though not entirely uncritically, and have been fascinated at my own various reactions to it over the years, reflecting my own life experiences at given times.
I think it is essentially a...
Published on 7 April 2003 by tony mac

3.0 out of 5 stars A great pager turner but unltimately unbelievable
Published on 3 Oct 2008 by John M

5.0 out of 5 stars a familiar old place, often revisited, never quite the same, 7 April 2003
This review is from: The Magus (Paperback)
I think it is essentially a novel best read for the first time in curious, impressionable, early adulthood. it definately helps to have a strong imaginative streak and your head more than a little in the clouds - I've recommended it to diehard pragmatists over the years who just don't get it at all.
Like most young people who liked the book it has turned into something of a landmark in my life - the first book which I genuinely felt opened up key areas of myself and got me thinking along more abstract lines. It let me fly, basically.
The last time I read it I had just turned 40 and realised for the first time that I could no longer really identify with Nicholas as a peer-group figure, which slightly saddened me, despite the fact that I have never particularly liked him.
It also drove home to me that it really is a book aimed directly at young people, about the whole process of growing up and realising that the world, and everything in it, is a limitless but mysterious place, beyond control and all the more intoxicating for it.
I also found myself, for the first time, being a bit annoyed by Fowles's rather irritating assumption of his readers background in classical mythology, French and Shakesperian tragedy; but I try to tell myself this only reflects the cultural and educational time in which it was written.
The Magus is, quite appropriately, many things: a coming of age story; an adventure; a mystery; a romance; an historical kalidiscope; an enlightenment; an enigma; a Pandora's Box. It is, most of all, a marvellous entertainment and an affirmation of the wonder and thrill of being young with everything to look forward to and everything to discover.
The next time I read it I will probably be middle-aged and identifying more with Conchis than with the bright young things. And maybe, like the old wizard, I too will start to take pleasure in watching youth in action, and how it can dance and take flight from the strings of others.

4.0 out of 5 stars The conjuror’s greatest illusion, 23 Feb 2004
This review is from: The Magus (Paperback)
Upon learning that The Magus had won a place in the BBC’s Top One-Hundred Books list, I decided to give it a read. It is often – quite rightly – referred to as a cult classic, and it is only around two hundred pages into the book that it becomes clear why.
The story follows a young teacher by the name of Nicholas Urfe. Deciding he wishes to get away from dreary London, Nicholas takes a job on the sparsely populated Greek island of Phraxos. As his departure date draws nearer, the young Mr Urfe becomes reluctant to leave his Australian girlfriend Alison (a character who, although rarely making an appearance, becomes more and more significant as the book progresses). He does leave however, and although captivated by the island’s majestic scenery and untouched landscape, he finds he is incredibly lonely with only one of his fellow schoolmasters to easily converse with. Out walking one day, Nicholas spots a charming villa and decides to go for a closer look. This, as he puts it himself, is ‘when the mysteries began.’
The other main character of the book is a rather eccentric elderly gentleman by the name of Maurice Conchis. Conchis, it is revealed later in the book, is the Magus (being the magician figure in the Tarot pack), and he takes great pleasure in bringing said mysteries before Nicholas. Conchis introduces his new friend to a young lady he calls Lily. This may seem perfectly normal, but it is only when you take into account that the previous evening Conchis informed the young teacher that his former fiancé – Lily – was killed many years previously that it becomes rather eerie. This is one of many bizarre experiences the old man has in store for Nicholas, and although Conchis does all in his power to lead Nicholas to believe all the strange events are ESP-related, the young man is having none of it, and soon finds himself confronting Conchis and in the process falling for the beautiful Lily.
I have never read a book quite like The Magus, and I don’t expect I ever will. There were times when making my journey through the six-hundred plus pages that I thought, ‘I really don’t want to read on.’ Fowles’ narration is incredibly rich, and although the story itself is nothing short of genius, I frequently found the author’s storytelling somewhat difficult to follow; the regular exchanges in Greek and French for example, as well as the conversations between the two primary characters, which was often a fierce battle of intellect.
However, the parallels between the relationships of Conchis and Nicholas, and the author and reader are apparent: Conchis entices the young schoolmaster into his ‘godgame,’ all too aware that Nicholas will not be able to walk away – he will be forced to keep going back for more in his desperation to find the truth behind the old man’s games. The same is true of the reader – by the second half of the book I literally couldn’t put it down, even though the ‘mysteries’ became more and more frequent, and Conchis told more and more lies. I find it difficult to convey the level of imagination the author has put into the book, you need to read it in order to understand the mystical quality of The Magus. It really is unlike any other book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark twisted mindgames, 25 Feb 2002
This review is from: The Magus (Paperback)
Having never heard of John Fowles or 'The Magus' I bought this book at Christmas as a bit of a gamble and was pleased when it was all I hoped for and a lot more. The book is a long one but it is beautifully written and I found it very hard to put down. The gist of the book is this, a young romantic cad named Nicholas Urfe gets a job teaching on a Greek island, meets a Svengali type (Conchis) and is subjected to all kinds of manipulations and mindgames at Conchis' house over the length of a summer. The narrator (Nicholas) isn't a very nice person and if there is any moral to this story I suppose it's that our actions affect others much more than we suppose. By the end of the book I had come to identify a lot with Nicholas, or maybe I pitied him, but there were moments near the end where I almost couldn't bear to turn the page. This is where 'The Magus' shows itself to be an extraordinary work, in making us feel what Nicholas feels to a huge extent, so that some of his sense of fear and helplessness is experienced by the reader. This isn't a very nice feeling but it's a rare book that can make you feel this way. Overall Fowles has created a warts and all character who we can identify with, due to his ubiquitous struggle with the unknown, and a book that shocks ,scares and really makes you think. Essential reading for all would-be Lotharios !

5.0 out of 5 stars Fourth read - 25 years on. How stands the hill?, 30 Sep 2003
This review is from: The Magus (Paperback)
I have just read the Magus again, for the first time in about 7-8 years. It's the fourth time I've read the book now and I enjoy the different perspectives I get from it in relation to my own life experiences and how the book, its characters, incidents and themes now plays against the world we currently live in.
I've commented before on my general views of this book and the considerable effect it has had on me over the years. Rather than go over old ground in my reflections of it, I'd like to encapsulate my reactions to it as a reader in summer 2003, at the age of 47; about 25 years after I first read it.
Several things stand out:
For the first time it reads as a period novel. Not surprising given that it was published close on 40 years ago and takes place exactly 50 years ago. I say this not as a criticism; it is in fact all the better for it.
Reading it this time, I realised forcibly how the influence of political correctness has really taken hold of writing and thinking over the last decade. There are parts of The Magus that you know would simply not have been written as they are if first published today. This is no bad thing; I'm not entirely in favour of all aspects of PC (to quote Conchis, it needs to 'learn to smile'); but Nicholas's reactions to race and women in particular now brand him so much a creature of his time in ways that hadn't fully struck me before. His constant references to Joe as the 'Negro', his frequent intimidation and even violence towards women; these aspects for the first time conjure up a culturally far-away world - making The Magus now very much a novel of its time, despite the undoubted timelessness and universality of most of its themes. (And yes, I know that the book is, ultimately, a riposte to sexism and racism, and in many ways heralds an era of racial and sexual enlightenment long before it ever actually came about.)
I was also aware of how the book needs the literal remoteness of its time for Chonchis's 'godgame' to feasibly work. Can you imagine Nicholas being so successfully duped in this modern era of high-tech information technology; how he could possibly have had all his lines of enquiry stifled if he had a PC, internet access, e-mail and mobile phone so easily to hand? Not to mention thousands of tourists charging around his timeless island retreat! In the global village that we now live in the 1950s stands as the last era of genuine physical remoteness in the world (John Fowles briefly reflects on this in his 1976 revised edition).
I realise now that many of Conchis's philosophical musings are so much hot air and deliberate obfuscation. In the past I took his sayings seriously, now I think they're funny - and meant to be funny! He's just playing with gullible, pretentious young Nicholas.
The Magus remains a wonderfully engaging and thought provoking read. The ability to pick it up at after many years and either get new things from it or react to it in different ways is one of its great joys. These reactions tell you a lot about yourself, and the world we live in, and how both have changed over the years. It really is a book for life, which should be first encountered young and then taken out and enjoyed sparingly but profoundly.

4.0 out of 5 stars A superb, engrossing, wonderful novel, 8 Jun 1999
This review is from: The Magus (Paperback)
This book ruined my holiday !
Once I started to read it the temptation to carry on was far bigger than the desire to visit any of the delights Sri Lanka had to offer ! (Well, no, not really but its quite a good line...)
Fowles has created a wonderful story as we are transported from a dreary England to a brilliant Greek island and from there round and round in circles as Fowles weaves his magic. By the mid point in the book I was convinced I'd figured it out - I then realised I was completely wrong.
There are some truly thought-provoking moments, some very funny bits and some parts are simply great writing.
The ending is a bit of an anti-climax as nothing is really resolved. Or on the other hand is a continuation of the uncertainy from earlier. Or maybe the whole point is not to understand ? Buy this if you like mind games, if you liked the film The Game or if you like making up your own endings !
I haven't been this engrossed in a book since Lord of the Rings

5.0 out of 5 stars Very high on my list of 'best books', 25 April 2001
This review is from: The Magus (Paperback)
This is NOT the kind of book to read on the bus. It will occupy your thoughts, play with your perceptions and leave you thinking. Every chapter is a surprise, to the extent that you feel that the author is playing with you. This is the kind of book you will want to read again every few years, to feel again how strongly a book can influence your feeling. I have never read a book that played with my conceptions as well as this book did. A real experience....Enjoy.

3.0 out of 5 stars A great pager turner but unltimately unbelievable, 3 Oct 2008
John M "John M" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Magus (Vintage Classics) (Paperback)
I couldn't put this book down as I journeyed from one plot twist to the next, wondering where it was going and what the mystery was all about. However, when all was revealed - what a disappointment. There was no really mystery just a rather silly and unbelievable charade. What was the point of it all? Does the author really believe the reader is likely to be convinced by this? A whole gang of people trying to administer a moral lesson to someone they've never met before, involving what must be wild expenditure and about 6 months of time! Totally ridiculous. However, the shear suspense and the writing in many ways mitigate what is a deeply ridiculous and unconvincing plot. The changes in modes of behaviour since the book was written in the 60's means it has not aged well either.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mind altering fiction, 12 Nov 2004
This review is from: The Magus (Vintage Classics) (Paperback)
It wasn't until about half way through this book that I realised that as the main character's sense of reality is being mainpulated by others around him, so are you, the reader, having your sense of what is happening manipulated by the author. Having re-read it a couple of times I am constantly amazed by the deftness of Fowles' touch in this regard and the searing realism of the world he presents to you.
This is the sort of book that leaves you profoundly impressed by both it's virtuosity and it sheer narrative power. Literature, not writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most incredible book I have ever read, 1 Oct 2001
This review is from: The Magus (Paperback)
I first read The Magus when I was 19, and it shook my world immeasurably. I was given a copy of the original version by my father and it took over my life at the time. I remember coming off the train and reading it over dinner and then on into the early hours. On finishing it I immediately bought a copy of the revised version, and some years later re-read the original again. I envy people who embark on this literary journey for the first time, and would urge anyone who has not yet read this book to do so. It must be said however that this book is most suited for young men with a romantic nature, and not hardened cynics who prefer kitchen sink realism. This novel sparked in me a lifelong love of Greece, and encouraged me to search for and read other great novels. I particularly like Frank Delayney's The Amethysts and Pearl, Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks, anything by Milan Kundera and other Fowles novels Daniel Martin and The Collector. The Magus is the greatest of them all though...just close your eyes and imagine a deserted beach on a small Island in 1950's Greece, and the sense of anticipation when you return from your swim to find a book of poety left for you with a passage marked... 'We shall not cease from exploration'.

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly great work of fiction, 23 April 2002
J. T. Brennan (Oxford, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Magus (Paperback)
The phrase 'this is the best book I have ever read' seems a little over-used.. Without being too contradictory I have to say that no other book has made me feel like uttering those words as much as The Magus. The reasons for this are quite simple. This is unlike any book I have read and quite possibly will ever read in future. The plot revolves around a young man - Nicholas Urfe, virtually alone on a beautiful Greek island, with little much to do. He meets the man behind the title of the novel and becomes emroiled in his complicated yet beguiling world. Urfe is torn between the reality of his situation and the one which is being conjured around him. He is being tricked, abused and manipulated in ways he did not think possible due to his own arrogance and inflated self-intellect.
In effect the reader is left feeling much the same, I have never felt so uncomfortable (almost squirming at the positions Nicholas finds himself in) or engrossed reading something as I did reaching the climax of this book. It is almost a watershed, as if reading was new to me all over again, it left me wondering what to read next and the relevance of much I had read previously.
Fowles has truly created a wonderful examination here into the human condition, our relationships with each other and in essence the world we live in. He has achieved this through the clever scrutiny of one man and the use of more plot twists than seem feasibly possible! It is engaging from start to finish, I envy all people about to read this or reading now on the experiences they are yet to have - they are elect.

The Magus (Vintage Classics)
The Magus (Vintage Classics) by John Fowles (Paperback - 4 Nov 2004)
6.29