5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun and truly imaginative
As a new mum with limited time and concentration, I have been rereading all my childhood favourites. I'm a great fan of Joan Aiken and of all the Dido Twite adventures, this is the one I most enjoyed.

Published on 20 Aug. 2006 by L. Haycox

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit boring
I am only 8 and I have read the other Wiloby 's.I found it a bit boring .Some intresting bits
Published on 11 April 2012 by Sally Sweetnam

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun and truly imaginative, 20 Aug. 2006
L. Haycox "lauren30" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Stolen Lake (The Wolves Of Willoughby Chase Sequence) (Paperback)

Dido is a great heroine - despite the most villainous, neglectful parents, she's resourceful, loyal and happily unconcerned with her looks. In the Stolen Lake she has to deal with the usual collection of crooks, conspirators and a brilliantly grotesque Queen who has been waiting for her husband to return from the dead for centuries and has been keeping herself alive in rather an unpleasant manner...

I'd recommend any Joan Aiken book, they're all fun and pacey and the baddies tend to get their come-uppance in the most imaginative ways.

4.0 out of 5 stars If you like Harry Potter, you'll love Dido Twite, 21 April 2008
S. Chiger (New York, USA) - See all my reviews
Dido Twite, the quick-witted (and sharp-tongued) heroine of Black Hearts in Battersea and Nightbirds on Nantucket, is back in this sequel. During the mythical reign of Britain's King George IV, the ship carrying 12-year-old Dido from New England back to (old) England is ordered to stop off in New Cumbria, a mysterious South American nation ruled by a suspiciously ancient queen. Is she, as she claims, the widow of King Arthur? If so, how has she managed to survive the centuries? And why aren't there any girls Dido's age in the entire country? For that matter, why did the midshipman of Dido's vessel take ill as soon as they arrived in port? With the same entertaining blend of Cockney common sense and sheer gutsiness that saw her through her earlier adventures, Dido manages to get to the bottom of things--saving an imprisoned princess and, yes, restoring a "stolen" lake in the bargain. All in all, a fun, fast, rollicking read for youngsters and adults alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dido at her best, 9 Mar. 2007
I. Jarvis "Jarvo" (UK) - See all my reviews
I inherited this book when I was younger, never read past the first page and it remained on a dusty bookself for years. One night I picked it up again after running out of books to read and forced myself to read further.

I may not have been interested before as this is part of a sequence (Wolves of Willoughby Chase being the first book) but once I began to read more about the heroine, Dido Twite, I was enthralled. This book features such a myriad of ideas that run through all of the WoWC stories. Once I'd read this book I then bought the complete set of books. A treat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why aren't there dozens of five stars?, 6 July 2006
I can't believe no-one has written a review of this wonderful book before this. This, as Dido Twite might say, is monstrous good. As a professional writer, I stand open-mouthed and slack-jawed before Joan Aiken's talent. This is as good as writing gets. Her wizardry with language, the sheer scale and vividness of her imagination, and her ability to construct plots and characters simply dazzle. All the Wolves of Willoughby Chase books are great, but this one is a scorcher. If you're a Dido Twite fan (and who couldn't be?), you'll find her in top form here. Aiken takes the most disparate elements (Brazil, Celtic lore, Arthurian legend, a monstrous Guinevere transformed into fat evil Queen Ginevra, a wandering wise man, Aurocs, volcanos, smatterings of Latin, a stolen lake, and, of course, the indomitable Dido and weaves them into a seamless story that never ceases to amaze. If you haven't read the earlier books (start with Black Hearts in Battersea), order them as well, then order all the later ones. J.K. Rowling must hang her head in shame every time she hears Aiken's name. This is how books for children and adults are written. A classic series with one of the great characters in English fiction. Croopus!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fun, 4 April 2011
Having rediscovered Joan Aiken with my daughter I find there are many more books in the series than I read as a child. This was a good read, though not quite as good as the Wolves of Willoughby Chase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like Thomas Pynchon for kids!, 4 Jun. 2014
My favourite (so far) in the sequence. The wonderful Dido Twite finds herself in Roman America involved in an adventure in part based on Arthurian legend. The creativity is awe-inspiring, the writing beautiful and the stories exhilirating. I only wish I'd joined Dido on her adventures when I was 10 instead of discovering them at nearly 40!

5.0 out of 5 stars absolutely fantastic, 21 July 2013
I think the title says it all
A great book and I am going straight on to the next in the series

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit boring, 11 April 2012

The Stolen Lake (The Wolves Of Willoughby Chase Sequence)
The Stolen Lake (The Wolves Of Willoughby Chase Sequence) by Joan Aiken (Paperback - 6 Jan. 2005)