5.0 out of 5 stars I Love This Book!
I chose this book, purely and simply cos I loved the cover!! What a choice.....it's great.

As a teenager I was only vaguely aware of Paul Weller, and The Jam........and now I feel cheated !!!

Published on 12 Sept. 2006 by A Reader

3.0 out of 5 stars Confessions 1, 2 & 3...
Published on 5 Feb. 2006 by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love This Book!, 12 Sept. 2006

This author has made me see all the things I missed. He writes about his own life, his favourite band The Jam, and his absolute love for Paul Weller, and you know what ? He doesn't care who knows!

The story takes us through happy times, funny times and absolute heartbreak.This is one fabulous book. Not only have I discovered a fab writer,but I have also rediscovered Paul Weller and The Jam.I now own all The Jam and Paul Weller back catalogue. Well done David Lines. Thankyou.

5.0 out of 5 stars What A Fab Book !, 3 Aug. 2006
Once I started to read this book, that was it, I couldn't put it down. It's written in a lovely chatty style, and,like the author thought Paul Weller was talking directly to him, I felt like David Lines was sharing his teenage thoughts and experiences with only me.

He writes of his love for The Jam, and how they helped him find direction in his life, at a time when it was turned upside down, and how Paul Weller seemed to guide him.

He shares with us how he coped with what life decided to throw at him, and his family, when he was so young.

When the writer describes school life, fashion, music and how he felt at the time, it all seems like yesterday.I laughed with him and cried with him.An excellent book, I love it! Can't wait for more.

4.0 out of 5 stars David Lines found a new friend with Paul Weller and I've found a new friend in David Lines!, 23 Feb. 2007

First up: this isn't a book directly about Paul Weller and The Jam - it's about a young man's growing up and the affect PW's music and style had on him. So, if you're after a strictly biographical account, this book probably isn't for you. However, if you're after something heart-warming, funny, moving and, for many of us, a trip down Memory Lane then go ahead and click that buy-it button.

Each chapter was like sitting on a barstool and listening to David Lines tell you a bit about his growing up. There was one part where I was crying like a baby and others where I laughed out loud - point in case: the incident after he found a doll on the disused railway tracks on his way home from school!!

The Jam and in particular Paul Weller were a huge influence on David Lines' life and if, like me, that rings true with you it will make this read all the better for you. But essentially, this is an autobiography from a well-written author who perhaps didn't realise that there were other big influences in his life - much closer to home.

Enjoy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Confessions 1, 2 & 3..., 5 Feb. 2006
This book is a very pleasant way to spend an afternoon or two reading. It's great on Mod clothing and the PW link is also a nice touch. The only thing was I spent a lot of time thinking of my own PW tracks as the story progressed and playing them on the stereo, so be prepared to re-live those PW Gigs. I actually found the writer - David Lines - less interesting than his Dad, so when the ending is revealed it actually made me feel quite moved. In some ways I'd like a prequel now detailing more about his father's life and fifties and sixties music. The one big disappointment for me personally is - I cannot believe anyone can write a book with a PW connection and NOT mention anywhere 'My Ever Changing Moods'. One of the truly great PW songs and no mention - amazing! Still we'll all have differing views on the tracks David Lines has chosen, maybe he could do a track-by-track guide to Weller music like John Reed's pocket guide?

3.0 out of 5 stars That's entertainment, 21 April 2006
Mr. M. Broad "Matt Broad" (WEYMOUTH, Dorset United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Books like these are written by fans and therefore read by fans who will pick holes(such as me!!)The book is generally good and Lines' slavish devotion to everything Weller is admirable.Boating blazers,bowling shoes and button downs,yes but eating garden snails with garlic in homage to the Style Council is displaying levels beyond the call of duty for most fans!In fact devotion to the Style Council should be applauded anyway as Weller tested most of his hardcore following a little too much with the"Council". The book is especially relevant to me in as much that Lines' and I are the same age(within a month) which is where things go wrong towards the end when he appears to get 1981 and 1982 mixed up(the split in '82 and the 81 tour seem to have been mixed together).I am sure I didn't take my O levels at the tender age of 14!The mixing of the years seems to have been done to aid a story line which is a shame as the affect the Jam split had on most fans was pretty devastating without having to use a bit of artistic license.However that aside the book is pretty good and very funny and sad at various points although a little more of Lines' family wouldn't have gone amiss.Some things are alluded to but not elaborated on which is a shame.Leaves you wanting a bit more.

4.0 out of 5 stars I've got a pen in my pocket..., 23 Mar. 2006
Loved it. Absolutely loved it. It's like the Adrian Mole of mod and the end's very moving. It's very visual and I'd like to see it on the tele. More please!

1.0 out of 5 stars one star more than I wanted to give, 25 Feb. 2007
This follows the Nick Hornby model in that Lines follows Weller in parallel with his life instead of Arsenal.In fact it reminded me of another book where Hornby was aped, Robert Banks "Irrational hatred of Luton" where the writing was just as poor and the anecdotes just as boring ( as for the scene in the bedroom, it was so contrived as to not possibly be true ). It must give hope to aspiring writers that as long as stuff like this can get published surely anyone has a chance of having their tedious,unfunny and unremarkable memoirs put into print.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's too bad..., 24 Feb. 2006
..because it could have been a great book and instead is just , well, good. A good place to start for anyone who has to live with a jam obsessed nut (I passed it on to my girlfriend this morning)and some great memories, too. It's just there are too many factual errors that leap out to a close follower of the Jam. Maybe it's to help the plot flow but it almost makes me think that a lot of it is second hand info - which i'm sure it's not. I never like to doubt the sentiments of a true Jam follower and all in all i did enjoy the book. The first thing i did upon finishing it was go to the bathroom mirror and ponder having my hair chopped off a la In The City again. In the end I decided to keep my Town Called Malice look till the summer, at least. Ah, the long, hot summer...

4.0 out of 5 stars cant understand the carping, 16 Aug. 2007
This review is from: The Modfather: My Life with Paul Weller (Paperback)
I cant understand the carping by some reviewers "he wasnt there, I was there", "I was in a band" or "he's a nobody". What were they expecting, that a 4th Jam member was suddenly going to appear? This is well written and downright funny. I loved the Jam, never "got" the style council, but the book made me laugh.
The only annoying thing about the book is that towards the end the author becomes a little bit smug, along the lines of "I always wanted to be a writer, and now I am so there" and also gives the impression ofbeing cleverer than those of us who thought the style council were self indulgent nonsense, while he understood it all.
If you want more insight into the Jam, their squabbles etc, I suggest Dennis Munday's book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant !, 11 Aug. 2006
I couldn't wait to get my hands on this book, and when I did, I wasn't disappointed.

I am of a similar age to the author, and when I was reading it, I wanted to live in the same street, go to the same school, and go to the ' youthy' with him. As teenagers we had similar lives, and a connection, The Jam, and Paul Weller.

David Lines, has written a fabulous book, about growing up with Paul Weller, and dealing with real life situations. It's a well told tale of a journey of a twelve year old, to a young man. High on emotion. Brilliant.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Modfather: My Life with Paul Weller
The Modfather: My Life with Paul Weller by David Lines (Paperback - 5 July 2007)