5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book to dip into or read right through
When I first got hold of this book I was surprised to find that it was a book of short stories, and I wasn’t sure if I would like it. How wrong I was!
Published on 24 Nov. 2005 by Helen Hancox

3.0 out of 5 stars Short Story Surprise
I was initially disappointed that 'Pistols for Two' was not another full length novel but a collection of short stories. This was not made clear when puchasing.
Published on 26 Sept. 2012 by M. Black

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book to dip into or read right through, 24 Nov. 2005
This review is from: Pistols For Two (Paperback)
The book was first published in 1960 so it’s one of Heyer’s later books, and that shows in the range of characters and ages that she portrays in these short stories. Each story works brilliantly on its own as a story – although short, they never feel rushed or incomplete. The range of characters is as broad as ever, including some young heroines and one who is in her thirties. Her heroes tend to be the usual ones – dashing, handsome, rich gentlemen who are excellent horsemen. And yet there are a couple of stories in there which seem a little more unusual – my particular favourite is Hazard where Lord Carlington wins his friend’s half-sister during a night of gaming and finds himself with her in an Inn the following morning, having just inserted the notice of his engagement to another woman in the papers. Of course things work out well (they always do in Heyer’s books, which is what I like so much about them) but it’s how these resolutions are brought about that make these stories such fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfort reading, 24 Dec. 2009
Damaskcat (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Pistols For Two (Paperback)
I first read this book about 35 years ago and found when I re-read it recently that I could still remember some of the stories. I loved the characters, the witty dialogue and the way the problem is resolved in just a few pages. My particular favourites are `Pink Domino' and a `A Husband for Fanny', though all the stories are lovely to read. They have the same flavour as most of Heyer's full length novels, especially those set in the Regency period.

If you are not sure about reading Georgette Heyer then start with this collection since each story can be read in about 20 minutes. If you like them, try her novels. These stories have the real feel good factor - like curling up with a mug of hot chocolate or a glass of wine on a cold winter's day. Bliss!

3.0 out of 5 stars Short Story Surprise, 26 Sept. 2012
M. Black (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pistols For Two (Kindle Edition)
At first I found each story unsatisfactory as the plots seemed flimsy and the characters undeveloped .However it is possible to see where these themes have been later developed into full novels. In fact it was fun to spot where characters in the short stories reappear under different guises in the novels. So an interesting addition to my G. Heyer collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Pleasant Diversion, 6 Feb. 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Pistols for Two (Paperback)
This book from Georgette Heyer has 11 short stories covering her usual styles from funny to romantic. They leave you laughing one minute and anxious the next. Pistols for Two is ideal when you have only a short time to spare, such as waiting for an appointment or on the train going home, the stories can be read fairly quickly. The only problem I found with some of the stories is that the characters lack depth and plots were a bit thin, but considering the length of each story that is the price that has to be paid.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book to dip into or read right through, 1 Oct. 2008
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Pistols for Two (Paperback)
When I first got hold of this book I was surprised to find that it was a book of short stories, and I wasn't sure if I would like it. How wrong I was!

The book was first published in 1960 so it's one of Heyer's later books, and that shows in the range of characters and ages that she portrays in these short stories. Each story works brilliantly on its own as a story - although short, they never feel rushed or incomplete. The range of characters is as broad as ever, including some young heroines and one who is in her thirties. Her heroes tend to be the usual ones - dashing, handsome, rich gentlemen who are excellent horsemen. And yet there are a couple of stories in there which seem a little more unusual - my particular favourite is Hazard where Lord Carlington wins his friend's half-sister during a night of gaming and finds himself with her in an Inn the following morning, having just inserted the notice of his engagement to another woman in the papers. Of course things work out well (they always do in Heyer's books, which is what I like so much about them) but it's how these resolutions are brought about that make these stories such fun.

(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Pistols for Two (Hardcover)

(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: PISTOLS FOR TWO (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful Short Stories by the Queen - Georgette Heyer, 8 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Pistols For Two (Kindle Edition)
Delightful book of short stories by Georgette Heyer. These stories were filled with fun characters and happy endings. I could sense the much more complete back story in every single one by the time it ended. In fact, if a talented writer had an interest, I believe each of these little vignettes could be the basis for a full blown story. All the elements are included within the pages of each story that gives rise to one's imagination of how the story might be filled in. Truly enjoyable read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Short Stories Collection, 13 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Pistols For Two (Paperback)
I am a huge fan of Georgette Heyer & wasn't disappointed with this short story collection. At first I felt reading through the stories they were kind of blurring into one so maybe best advice is read a few then go back to it at a later date.
Some of the stories weren't as good as others but some were brilliant.
Its a must for any Georgette Heyer collector like myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars What more could you ask for?, 8 July 2014
This review is from: Pistols For Two (Kindle Edition)
A wonderful collection of short stories from the regency era. Bringing to life all the restrictions and etiquette of this period in history, written with wit and humour, quite easy to read. As usual with Georgette Heyer books her knowledge of the time and her style of writing make this a very enjoyable read.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Pistols For Two
Pistols For Two by Georgette Heyer (Paperback - 6 Oct. 2005)