5.0 out of 5 stars Walking the Walk
Like many travel books and books about anything to do with places and the people who inhabit or frequent these places, there is an added benefit to having experienced it yourself.To get this book, you don't have to have walked the Camino but it most certainly adds flavour if you have. Or more specifically there is an added glee when you witness Moore's beautiful slapstick...
Published on 6 Aug 2006 by C. Sax

3.0 out of 5 stars El Burro!
bought on the back of 'French Revolutions', enjoyable but not in the same class... easily forgotten, holiday read i guess
Published 19 months ago by Doug Griffiths

5.0 out of 5 stars Very funny, 19 Jan 2013
This review is from: Spanish Steps: Travels With My Donkey (Paperback)
Very funny book and full of great historical information about the area he travels through. If you ever fancy going on a pilgrimage with a donkey read this first!

5.0 out of 5 stars A funny, moving book, 4 Oct 2012
This review is from: Spanish Steps: Travels With My Donkey (Paperback)
I ordered this book for a friend who is aiming to walk the Camino de Santiago. I had already read it and found it to be both funny and moving. It gives a very good and honest insight into walking the Camino. Shinto the donkey was the star for me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Spanish Steps: Travels with My Donkey, 28 Dec 2011
This review is from: Spanish Steps: Travels With My Donkey (Paperback)
Having just walked 320 miles of the Camino Frances, and hoping to complete the last 160 miles next year, I read Tim Moore's book with especial interest. The book lived up to all my expectations. The story-line was personal and strong and the humour was of the highest order. I did not travel with a donkey but was reliving much of the very special enjoyment of living and walking in close proximity with fellow pelegrinos from all parts of the world, and staying in lovely and varied albergues, convents and monasteries.
"Snoring in harmony", "Trying to sleep whilst the 5.00am enthusiasts try to slope off whilst waking everyone else with the beams from their head-torches", "endearing one-to-one conversations about LIFE" and enjoying picking the Rioja grapes just prior to harvest" memories came flooding back. The people we met came instantly back to me through those in the book - such as singing Carl and his wife from the Edmonton Swiss male Voice Choir, the lady civil servants from Ireland staying upmarket in hostales, Matt from Cardiff,Guy and Josie from Montreal,Carine from Belgium who walked from home, Brunhilde from the Munich RC Radio station, Phil from Wexford, our Irish leprechaun on his third Camino, and so many more.
If anything I switched off during the first 40 pages while Tim was securing his wonderfully idiosyncratic donkey, but then could not put the book down.
I challenge anyone to read this and not stop laughing.

5.0 out of 5 stars so very funny, 3 Oct 2011
This review is from: Spanish Steps: Travels With My Donkey (Paperback)
I laughed and laughed at this book. Keep picking it up again, re-reading it and STILL laugh. My favourite writer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Spanish Steps:travels With My Donkey, 12 Jan 2011
The donkey is the star!
It could have been any long-distance walk, but the inherent attraction of the Camino adds an extra element...
Fashion or fad? It matters not. I am sure those who have walked the way will identify more closely, those who have not may well wish to do so after reading this, but those who have no intention of doing so will still be charmed by this well crafted tale. Read and enjoy the rollicking ride, sympathise with the difficulties of stabling a donkey every night while finding suitable lodgings to rest for the journey ahead, and simply live the dream...it's worth it, it's an adventure, and it's fun!

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 14 July 2014
Mr. Alastair Burnett "The Cyclist" (The Cyclist) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spanish Steps: Travels With My Donkey (Paperback)
enjoyed this book but did not laugh as much as others say they did

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 15 Feb 2013
This review is from: Spanish Steps: Travels With My Donkey (Paperback)
Have bought a couple more copies as presents for people considering the Camino de Compostela, without a donkey!
Do read

4.0 out of 5 stars Still a good read, 13 Feb 2013
This review is from: Spanish Steps: Travels With My Donkey (Paperback)
Having had another read of this book (after a few years), I still found it very funny. It is also very informative: how to deal with a donkey, the descriptions of the pilgrims' route, the fellow travellers and people encountered during the journey. And, of course, not forgetting the donkey!

3.0 out of 5 stars El Burro!, 19 Jan 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars perseverance pays off, 17 Feb 2012
This review is from: Spanish Steps: Travels With My Donkey (Paperback)
I was given this book because of an interest in long-distance walking and a vague interest in 'doing' the camino. I was really put off by the style at first, not sharing the same sense of humour as Tim Moore and fed up with travel books over-written to disguise a lack of substance. But there was enough about the route, traditions and practices of modern pilgrims to make me keep going and as the book went on I enjoyed it more and more. It would be hard to resist a character as compelling as that of Shinto the donkey, who emerges as the true star of the whole show, and from that statement it is essential to admit that the author himself has made it so. So I did find entertainment and learnt a lot about walking the Compostela trail, but only with a severe determination to see past the style. That's a matter of taste, and if I - hating it - can still get a lot from the book, that's pretty good recommendation.

Spanish Steps: Travels With My Donkey
Spanish Steps: Travels With My Donkey by Tim Moore (Paperback - 2 Jun 2005)
8.39