4.0 out of 5 stars Don't judge this book by its TERRIBLE cover!
Published on 20 Feb 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Honest and inspiring
Published on 6 Oct 2011 by Sehrah

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't judge this book by its TERRIBLE cover!, 20 Feb 2004
By A Customer
The cover is a major turn off from this book--a chocolate cake with little horns drawn on it--but I urge every woman who struggles with her self-esteem, her past, her body image, her eating, or her own inner world to read this book. AJ Rochester's journey recorded in this diary-style narrative is NOT a diet book. And going from 240 to 152 pounds is not the major thrust of the tale; rather, AJ's learning to deal with all the things that have happened to her and her own resulting self-loathing is the main message. Every fat girl who has ever bit into a slice of pizza while thinking two simultaneous thoughts--"I am a horrible person for eating this, I deserve to be miserable" and "I don't care what anyone thinks, I'll show them, just watch how wide this butt can get!"--should read this book. AJ has been right there with you, and she fought her way out, and she is telling us all that we can do it, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational (and not American), 7 July 2004
This review is from: Confessions of a Reformed Dieter: How I Dropped Eight Dress Sizes and Took My Life Back (Paperback)
The most inspirational book about weight loss I have ever read.
AJ was very overweight and offered a TV company the chance to follow her attempts at weight loss as she hoped that the thought of failing at a diet on national TV would force her to stick to it. The book is a diary of how she felt and what she did to lose weight. She improved her eating and started exercising and lost 40 kilos. At the same time she learnt how to cope with the devastating experiences in her earlier life.
She has a personal trainer (Crusher!) and a psychiatrist (Nutcase!) to help her but don't let this put you off - everything she does is obvious and common sense - but she is excellent at explaining how she felt and how it went. And she doesn't pretend to be perfect, she is honest about the days when all she wanted was battered saveloy and chips and how bad she felt after she had eaten them. (That is another good thing - it isn't an American book - the things she craves are recognisable to Brits, with an Australian slant, and she is not some American inspirational guru - she has a sense of humour that can be appreciated by Brits).
She also has stretches of time when she doesn't lose weight and is honest about how despondent she was. Everything else I have ever read about weight loss suggests everything is perfect and no one ever 'cheats' or gets stuck for a long time. She admits everything (and some of it is very bad - mainly alcohol related!) and tells you how she got over it.
This is the first time I have ever been inspired by a book about losing weight (not dieting - this book is definitely about changing your life, not going on a diet for a few months). I have got off my (admittedly large and comfortable) backside and have started exercising and I will be coming back to this book time and again for inspiration and information.

5.0 out of 5 stars funny, inspiring......, 1 Aug 2004
This book should be required reading for all of us who struggle with our weight. Not only does she tell it like it is she takes away the myth that if you really want to lose weight you will be successfull immediatly and that if you don't lose weight you are a failure. I read this book in a day, I couldn't put it down. This book is funny, moving, inspirational and above all, real. This is not some skinny woman telling us how to be like her, this is a person who let it all hang out for tv viewers and then went and wrote about it - warts and all. She proves that losing weight is a long process and that it doesn't matter when you "fail" what matters is that you don't give up. This book is fantastic... It should also be read by all those naturally skinny people to make them realise that being overweight is not a crime........

5.0 out of 5 stars Diet's don't work, lifestyle changes do., 6 Aug 2004
I also finished this book in a day because I couldn't put it down. It is a very positive book about losing weight because it is reality. It shows readers that anyone can accomplish weight loss through healthy eating, more exercise and perseverence. Very inspirational with some good tips and recipes as well.

3.0 out of 5 stars Honest and inspiring, 6 Oct 2011
Enjoyed this book. Was honest,inspiring, and real! She seemed like a down-to-earth girl; admitted odd cheats here and then, revealed her frustration and tips to get over the plateau, showed how her life vastly improved with the weight loss. I am very happy for her personally, and it motivated me to persist with my own experience- healthy food, exercise and honesty :). The only negative thing is i could see how some of the comments could be seen as slightly derogrative to heavier women ("whale" etc). Even if it is used in joking, i feel there could have been a more positive side regarding this. Otherwise fantastic for inspiration and so honest it's a sigh of relief.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Book about weight loss., 27 April 2011
Kathy (Devon, England) - See all my reviews
I found the early chapters of this book depressing and felt inclined to stop reading it. It consisted of a lot of reasons and excuses for being overweight, however when the author finally got to dealing with her problems it became more interesting. She met with the problems that most overweight people have to deal with. Most dieters will recognise the frustration of seeing the weight stick and the joy of achieving what you set out to do, to them it will be an interesting read.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love AJ Rochester, 25 Jan 2008
AK Lane "Alice Lane" (UK) - See all my reviews
I absolutely loved this book, AJ's self depreciating humour is a delight. Shes so funny ! its an inspiration to anyone who wants to lose weight and you have to admire this girl for her perseverance.
I read it every time I think about dieting!

5.0 out of 5 stars geat read, 7 May 2004
i thought this book was wonderful. Inspirational, witty, touching. a fabulous read, one that i've passed around to quite a few friends who are wanting to lose weight. with so many books that promise to help you slim down, this is an great story of a woman who lost it the only way that works, by eating less rubbish and getting off her backside!
highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars truly inspiring and funny and motivating,, 11 Jan 2005
By A Customer
trying 20 years to slim down and read too many books and magazines with slimming stories,i think this is the only one that is so funny and yet so emotional true confession of what a woman has to do,think and feel where in "alfalfa zone".i believe this time i'm going to make it.it helps you understand not only what to do to "get your life back",but it also explains why,some of us,are afraid to lose our camouflage:our fat.
thanks A.J.Rochester.
imogene,thessaloniki greece

5.0 out of 5 stars CHANGED MY LIFE, 5 Dec 2013
The BEST diet book I have EVER read!!!!
An amazing funny read which will defiantly want you to get up and get thin!! Shows that anyone if dedicated can loose weight and achieve their goal. Read it in a day and inspired me for months. With the help of this book and a little bit of hard work I lost just under 2 stone in 3 months. If your looking for a good read and a little motivation this is the book for you!!

ARRAY(0xaa82eb88)