5.0 out of 5 stars Rice at her best!
I loved the Vampires (at least up to Body Thief) and adored the Mummy, but I think Witching Hour is her best. The HUGE book is absolutely compelling from beginning to end. The Book moves from Modern day story of a young woman, the end product of centuries of witches that are under control of "the Man" called Lasher( because he could make the trees lash when he was...
Published on 14 Mar 2003 by Deborah MacGillivray

3.0 out of 5 stars Amazin plot!
When I began reading this book, I wasn't sure if I could finish it. As it is with many books this was a bit boring to begin with, and the sice of it (1207 pages) wasn't comforting.
But after a couple of chapters and an open mind I knew I could and would finish it, I had to know how it ended.
The carecters are well writen and the plot is fantastic.

In...
Published on 5 April 2009 by Iben

5.0 out of 5 stars The Witching Hour, 20 April 2006
This review is from: The Witching Hour (Paperback)
What a fantastic read!!! Although the book if very thick I seemed to get through it quickly as I could not put it down. If you are already a fan af Anne Rice you will adore this...her best to date in my opinion.

3.0 out of 5 stars commercial potboiler, 18 April 2011
rob crawford "Rob Crawford" (Balmette Talloires, France) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Witching Hour (Paperback)
While I loved the first two volumes of the Vampire Chronicles, which were of such high quality that they could be considered literature, I find myself increasingly disappointed with Rice, as the rather mediocre "The Witching Hour" illustrates. She obviously has great talent for character, theme, and writing style, not to forget that sense of wonder that the best fiction generates.
However, it appears to me that, instead of aiming high, she has decided to make money. There is nothing inherently wrong with this, except that it squanders a unique talent. Perhaps she has said all that she has to say, but I still think she could do much much better.

This story is fun if you want simple entertainment: it has attractive people, plenty of bizarre ..., and an evil entity seeking to merge with a human. Though a bit too long, the plot keeps you interested and moves quickly through many ages of history. You have a family being bred in thrall to an evil spirit as well as a good man - ..., working class Irish made good - swept into the mix. At times, it creates a nice atmosphere of terror.

Unfortunately, though the book has some of the pretense of aspiring to something more, it fails to do so. The characters are too ..., the occult connections so elaborate as to get tiresome, and the circumstances increasingly outlandish, formulaic, and comic-bookish. This is a pity, but then, she has made her choice.

Recommended as a fun way to waste time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Horrifying, 29 Sep 2003
This book catches you from page 10 (with the first six blank) and keeps you in it's grip the whole time! It's beautifully described and detailed and it's raw, scary and beautiful at the same time! A good book to start on for Anne Rice "virgins"... One thing are for sure, you woun't be a virgin after reading this...

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 8 Mar 2010
A. Koutoula (Athens,Greece) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Witching Hour (Paperback)
If you`re into the paranormal, the gothic, Anne Rice is the author to read and The Mayfair Witches as a series is absolutely superb. She puts most of the other writers of this particular genre to shame. I read this book 10-15 yrs ago and it`s still in my top 5. Enjoy

3.0 out of 5 stars All over the place, 29 April 2010
N. Fisher "kingfisher_22" (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Witching Hour (Paperback)
I quite enjoyed the modern day parts of the book, it was classic Anne Rice that kept you turning the page to find out what happens though oddly halfway in the lead character reads about the history of the Mayfair family. That bit I really didn't enjoy, it was a flashback of history class at school with the lives of several generations being recalled in a matter-of-fact dry tone that was not enjoyable or relevent to the story.

Also a side note is that the book was bound wrong so 70 or so pages were missing and the previous 70 pages were in its place which was highly annoying! I guess I'll never know what was in those missing 70 pages!

The Witching Hour
The Witching Hour by Anne Rice (Paperback - 4 Nov 2004)
7.19