5.0 out of 5 stars Give it another chance, 28 Jan. 2008
This review is from: The Tale of the Body Thief (Paperback)
I loved the first three vampire chronical books and even after many people telling me to stop there I couldn't get enough. But the first time I read the tale of the body thief I was sucked in by the bad reviews. I hated the thought of my favourite character Lestat becoming vunerable and I found myself flicking though the 'human' parts until he regained his own body. But after a few months I felt like re reading through the chronicals and I approched this book with a new attitude and realised it was filled with the same wonderful descriptions and gripping situations as the previous books. I can understand why after the 'fantasy' tales a bit of harsh reality that is presented in this book can be off putting, it nearly put me off re reading the book at all. I suggest you look at this book as not a continuation from The Queen Of The Damned but a new book in itself beginning a new tale that is very important in the development of the character Lestat. I think it is a mistake to expect this book to reveal the after mass of QOTD.

4.0 out of 5 stars Still a good read, 26 July 2005
Mr. C. J. Thorpe "Lastaria" (Liverpool, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Tale of the Body Thief (Paperback)
This is by no means the best novel in Anne Rice's Vampire collection. However it is still a gripping read that keeps the reader riveted to the pages trying to find out how Lestat reacts to his new body and how he then in a weakened human form goes on to try and get his old body back.
If you like the previous Vampire novels by Anne Rice then this is a must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fall of the "Brat Prince"?, 21 Nov. 2007
Pookie (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Tale of the Body Thief (Paperback)
In this book Lestat's vanity allows him to fall foul of a particularly gifted con artist- he is duped out of his vampiric body, with the total loss of all his supernatural powers.

Despite his bemoaning his fate and his attempts to resign himself to his regained mortality (How do you mortals stand this, day in, day out?) Lestat is very fortunate in having the friendship of David Taylor, Superior General of the Talamasca, who loves Lestat deeply and cares about his predicament to the point of risking everything he has, including his very life, for his friend. Lestat also recieves a great lesson in love and compassion from an unexpected source, and comes to realise that whilst he is considered by his peers in the vampire world to be absolutely insufferable, he is loved beyond all reason and can be forgiven for almost anything.

I laughed, I cried, and I fell in love with Lestat. I was kept enthralled to the end. A great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT NOVEL, BUT DISAPPOINTINGLY BAD QUALITY, 8 July 2010
Eleni - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Tale of the Body Thief (Paperback)
This is the forth book in Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles series, and even though it is not the best of the series, it is still a great book. The story focuses on vampire Lestat, who after having achieved international fame as a rock star and having awaken, loved and finally helped destroy Akasha in The Queen of the Damned: The Third Book in the Chronicles of the Vampires (Vampire Chronicles), finds himself lost in his `savage garden', desperate and alone. In this novel the Brat Prince Lestat does the unthinkable; longing to feel like a mortal again, allows a human with the ability to switch bodies to steal his imortal body. Stuck in this new weak human body, that was not at all what he expected it to be, he turns to his vampire friends for help but is rejected. The person who finally helps him is his friend David Talbot, the elderly member of the Talamasca who, though mortal, is his equal in spirit.

Excellently written, as the previous novels of the series, the Tell of the Body Thief presents a darker, more spiritual and insightful aspect of immortal vampire life. Clearly influenced by Goethe's Faust - A Tragedy In Two Parts & The Urfaust (Wordsworth Classics of World Literature): A Tradegy in Two Parts and the Urfaust, who is frequently mentioned in the book, the author explores a theme that she takes further in her next novel in the vampire chronicles, Memnoch the Devil (Vampire Chronicles).

The novel is fantastic and I can't help but give it 5 stars, but I must mention here the really bad quality of the publication; the book started to fall apart before I even started reading it, and now it looks really old and like it has been horribly treated, even though I bought it a few months ago and I am always very kind to my books.

5.0 out of 5 stars one of my absolute FAVORITES from Anne Rice, 5 Jun. 2010
This review is from: The Tale of the Body Thief (Paperback)
1. Anne Rice's fourth book in her incredible series, The Vampire Chronicles. The Tale of the body theif takes the infamous vampire lestat on a journey. Lestat meets a mysterious and cunning body thief named Raglan James woh has a dangerous proposition. James offers Lestat a chance to be human again by switching bodies for one day. despite several warnings from fellow vampires and human friends Lestat makes the switch only to discover being alive is not the heaven he thought it would be. Lestat faces trails and tribulations in order to retreive his powerful body from the coniving body thief.
2. I really liked this instalment of the series. though i liked the first three a little better because they reached into a history of vampires that pleased the imagination. Never the less this book was written in depth. Rice's beautifully sensual language pulls the reader into the world the characters live in. Though this is a fantasy book featuring fictional characters thier problems and individual personalities are very realistic, one could understand certain aspects of each characters' psyche through out this book I was often pondering what it would be like to be Lestat, a terribly evil and powerful creature who wants to do good for the world, but is simply too evil to truly do it. I felt as though Lestat is an exagerated example of what it means to be a sinful human and Anne Rice truly intended this for the character.
3. In the begining of the book Lestat pays a visit to his mortal friend David Talbot they have an indepth conversation about God nad the Devil and David States "I think there is a Devil but he dosen't like being the devil". This was a strange idea to me because i had never thought that a purely evil thing could not enjoy being purely evil. I wrestled with the idea of what it means to be evil and this quote stuck out to me.
Another powerful quote for me was durring the part while lestat is in James' body and is dieing of hypothermia and he shouts "Don't help me I'm the Devil, no not satan himself but surely i am a devil!". He claims this because of the long life he has lived of evil and killing people for his own survival and the terrible things he'd done. This quote made me wonder how somebody could claim something so stranged based on thier sins since everybody sins. That would make this a world of Devils and of course there is only one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 2 Sept. 2007
M. Burton (Essex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Tale of the Body Thief (Paperback)
It's been a while since I read an Anne Rice novel but I was able to slip into the Vampire Choronicles easily
I knew most of the story from David's novel but it was still enjoyable to read.
It was slow starting and at times I struggled to continue reading it but it was very fascinating especially when Lestat is describing the simple human tasks like peeing. I've never thought it to be disgusting - just natural.
The ending was defiantly a good ending, not so predictable as one would think.
Overall another good novel by Anne Rice
A definite recommendation

5.0 out of 5 stars ANNOTHER MASTERPIECE!, 11 Aug. 2009
This review is from: The Tale of the Body Thief (Paperback)
as usual anne has delivered the goods! this is amazing and its great to see lestat becomming a human and how he deals with all it entails lol
i wish shed write more vampire chronicles coz im gonna run out soon! :(
the last chapter was so unexpected but still great so forget twilight and get with the real thing! lol

5.0 out of 5 stars On all cylinders, 20 Oct. 2013
This review is from: The Tale of the Body Thief (Paperback)
Well she's really had me hooked with this one; I mean reading all night hooked once I got into it. Lestat's in self-destruct impulsive curiosity-killed-the-cat mode getting involved with a mean but seductive varmint with a fit body and giving in to the temptation to re-experience mortal life after 200 years. Won't spoil the plot, but predictably he gets his fingers burnt. It's a bit of a slow start. I find all the David Talbot stuff rather a yawn. He does come across as a stuffy schoolmaster type. Can't see the attraction myself. But the treatment of his experiences once the switch takes place is fascinating. She doesn't skip the basics or go in for a predictable plot line.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book, 9 Dec. 2012
This review is from: The Tale of the Body Thief (Paperback)
This book was easy to read and understand since English is not my native language. I loved plot, style, everything. Anne Rice is my idol, my favorite author and I love all her books, more or less, but I always see positive writing what she does.

This book is one of my favorites because I loved it. What more can I say about my favorite author's works?

5.0 out of 5 stars Riveting piece in Vampire Chronicles, 25 Sept. 2009
This review is from: The Tale of the Body Thief (Paperback)
I had heard mixed reviews about this book, but they were proven wrong. This is such a great read. I was entirely riveted by the story of the Body Thief pursuing Lestat and his pathological need to cheat. A high point - as good as books IWTV, Lestat and Queen of the Damned.

The Tale of the Body Thief
The Tale of the Body Thief by Anne Rice (Paperback - 4 Nov. 2004)
Used & New from: £0.01