Format: PaperbackChange

on 24 February 1999
This book tells the story of a depressed, middle-aged, battleaxe who suddenly finds herself the victim of the cruelest of frame-ups as a result of the local Police Chiefs hatred of her and her family. The characters are of the usual crisp Sharpe style, with their little idiosynchrasies and foibles, and the plot is as wonderfully bizarre as any of Sharpe's previous works. And yet I felt a little disappointed at the end - mainly because the usual dozen or so 'absolute-belly-laughs-with-tears' weren't present. I don't think that this book is upto Sharpe's usual standard. If you're a newcomer to the works of Sharpe, choose Ancestral Vices or Wilt or one of his other hits first - come to this one only when you've tasted Sharpe at his best. Nevertheless, The Midden still ranks way above the works of many other so-called comedy novelists.
on 17 March 2013
Having read all Tom Sharpe's books, from his his earlier wonderful novels to his dissapointing recent efforts, I realised that I had missed this one. From the outset it is obvious that it could not have been written by anybody else. All his usual hallmarks are there. Cruel,cynical and vicious humour are much in evidence and he shows his disgust for Thatcher and the whole 80's Yuppie culture. As the book progresses, things get even madder and the final chapters are almost like a crazy take-off of Sharpe's earlier books. As usual, nothing is sacred and hippocracy in all it's forms is put to the sword. Perhaps not as coherent as earlier books, but I am glad I read it!
on 12 March 2013
Once you get into the book, it starts to move at a frantic pace. It is typically Tom Sharpe, he cannot be mistaken for any other writer.
The plot is simple but, the clever writing, the characters and the situation is brilliant.
I only gave the book 4 stars because, the narrative can be quite lengthy at times. Don't let that stop you buying it, as it is "crazily"
belly laughing at times.
DON'T read this on a plane or train as, other passengers will think you're off your head sitting laughing out loud, for apparently nothing.
on 27 December 2013
Although the book was second hand and in very good condition as promised, the content however was a lot to be desired. I always (in the eighties) used to read Tom Sharpe books and found them extremely funny. Wilt, Riotous Assembly, The Throwback (magnificent!!) etc. but unfortunately this left me cold. I did persevere till the end but I still thought it not one of his best efforts. Either I have lost my sense of humour or he has lost the plot.......as indeed I did halfway through.
on 7 January 2000
Very dissapointing offering from the 'master of the british farce'. Some clever comic situations and the usual mad characters but a little predictable. Could it be that he is not as 'Sharp'as he once was?Far funnier is Conduct Unbecoming by Chris Gaynor.This in a similar vein to Sharpe but a completely different style; however, the laughs are there by the truckload so it is well worth reading if you like this kind of book. Sorry but The Midden did not win me over.
11 comment10 of 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 November 2011
Normally love Tom Sharpe and his characters. It's not for everyone, but with my warped sense of humour I thought I could open the book on page 1 and just keep going until the end. However, this book disappointed me greatly. I had trouyble getting into it on holiday and had a few chapters to read when I was back. It was so hard read again....rubbish came to mind.
on 10 September 2013
Bought this book as I have a hard copy of the Wilt and the Wilt Alternative that I read to cheer myself up.
Although The Middden was an okay read I was disappointed not to have more. I have now read all 5 Wilt books by Tom Sharpe.
The First for me was the best.
on 12 May 2013
Very funny book! I couldn't stop reading, once I had started. The author has a fantastic knack of bringing the characters to life. The insecurities of the characters are dealt in a very subtle way. Highly recommended!
on 4 December 2015
Typical Tom Sharpe start with lots of promise of a good yarn. I hoped there would be some sort of story within the usual chaos but I am afraid the only laughs one got was how sexually perverse he could get. A bit like a comedian who reverts to swearing the whole time trying to get laughs but with no punchline and lack of content. I felt that Tom got bored 3/4 of the way through the book and decided to just finish it. Shame.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 September 2013
couldn't put the book down, got told off several times for laughing out loud, found it hard to read with tears of laughter in my eyes with the usual mix of wacky and eccentric characters a must for Tom Sharpe fans
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse