Format: Paperback|Change

on 29 November 1999
This book has been my first contact with Sharpe. Not my last. I find "Wilt on High" extremely funny, well written, cleverly put together, with just a dash (maybe more than a dash) of healthy vulgarity and it shows also that Mr Sharpe has an incredibly piercing eye to see, analyze and render the foibles of a great variety of human specimens such as feminists, police inspectors, teachers, American military men, quacks, overintelligent brats, etc. Highly recommended.
on 28 October 2012
Centred around Wilt the hapless college lecturer this is a very witty and good fun read.
Set in a fictional provincial town and at a fictional college it pokes fun at everyone in the british society.

If you went to a technical college in the 1970's or early 80's, with Sharpe's wit you will find the characters and story line absolutely hilarious.

This book is an Ideal holiday read, or for any down time. Especially long flights and that awful train or bus commute to and from work.
Just don't forget not to laugh out too loud!

Happy reading every one.
on 8 August 2013
'Read this years ago, in my twenties: It was almost unique in that it made me laugh out loud on London bus journeys. I went on to read other Tom Sharpe books. It was interesting reading it again 30+ years later, to discover that I still found it very funny - but also that my Life's experiences somehow added to the entertainment (I had not only been a "Liberal Studies" student, but had done the teaching - just like Wilt, himself) . It's a great read and, what's more, can be enjoyed by both genders: take it on holiday and you can pass it over to your partner when you've done with it!
VINE VOICEon 13 March 2016
I first read this book many many years ago when I was in my mid teens, and I remember loving it. I decided to revisit it as an adult but was slightly dubious. Would it be as good as I remembered? To be honest it was even better - most of the humour is broad enough for even a teenage reader to enjoy but there's a sophistication here that must have gone over my head years ago. I think with this re-reading I got more out the book. The book had me laughing like a loon several times and my heart was totally taken by Henry Wilt, the downtrodden everyman who manages to stand up to and best the establishment after a comical series of events culminate in him being arrested for a murder he didn't commit. Several scenes are genuinely side-splitting - the section where the inflatable doll (with a vagina!) is pulled from the concrete filled tomb had me roaring and I had to look around several times in embarresment. I was reading the book while parked up in Tesco's carpark and people passing must have thought that I had lost my mind as I sat there roaring with uncontrollable laughter. The highlight of the book for me where the interrogation scenes between Henry Wilt and the non nonsense policeman, Inspector Flint. These scenes are a masterclass in comedic writing and are among the best written comedy I have ever read.

How could I pick fault with this book when it is just so entertaining. Of course modern readers may find it a little misogynistic and while some of the attitudes may belong firmly to the era in which the book was written, to condemn it for these reasons would be a mistake. Eve Wilt is painted as a truly formidable character. So much so that the reader can empathise with her husband's murderous intentions towards her, and at no point does she feel like an helpless victim. Quite the contrary it is her husband, Henry who comes across as the victim. He is just a passive personality who bumbles his way through the book, while events befall him that will result in him regaining, or perhaps discovering his manhood for the first time, and coming out very much on top. At the end of the book both Henry and Eve Wilt have undergone a transformation and this reader was left with split sides an a urge for more Henry Wilt.
on 22 December 2010
I first read this book when I was seventeen. I loved it then and I love it still. Just so funny, dry and sharp witted. An absolute classic. Now off to revisit the rest of them.
on 27 October 2014
NO Spoilers.

for those that like Tom Sharpe there's a range of 'series' to choose from. Personally I prefer almost everything else he did to the Blott era, even porterhouse blue. However the one thing remained constant (Well until the godawful Grantchester Grind was it? So bad I've wiped it from mind - I put it down to a formulaic last chance to cash in and top up his pension/estate to leave etc) was the acidic eye he had for not just seeing and describing a farcical scene, but setting up deliciously and then relishing and revelling in it extracting the very essence of it right at the pinnacle of excruciatingness (if that's a real word).
This book is a great example. Although, The Throwback will live me forever there are a good half dozen others that are fantastic. Particularly any that feature Konstable Els.
Personally I'd go for anything around this era - he was really on form. And If I'm honest I'd have to say I avoid the later works as I fell he'd exhausted his vein of genius.
ACID TEST: would I buy this again - If this copy were lost damaged etc - YES - and I recommend it to any one who has a enjoys a good sense of humour.
on 9 November 2013
Indecent exposure and Riotous assembly by Tom Sharpe are two of the funniest books I have read. Sharpe`s ability to satirise a time, place and subject normally considered in these pc times to be no go areas shows his comedic genius. Tales of a bungling South African police force set in a chaotic apartheid held state, Sharpe pokes a stick in the eye to all. I don`t like to analyse books I like to read them.How many times can you say you have read a book and laughed out loud? Well here are two that force those involuntary chuckles by the score. I first indulged in these two works over thirty years ago as a fifteen year old, I have only just revisited them in the electronic age and with a couple of thousand books in between I can honestly say they are amongst the best if not the best out and out entertainment available.
on 21 April 2011
When I read this in my late teens I roared with laughter. So I when I bought it for my early teens - advanced reader, son I though I was on to a sure fire winner. It was "OK but not great" according to him. Perhaps he is too young, or perhaps it is a bit dated now?
on 17 December 2013
First read this over 30 years ago and then foolishly lent my copy to give another the same thrill. Oh will I never learn - I still do the same stupid thing! Anyway, it is still brilliant. This and Riotous Assembly were the first books I ever read that had me laughing so much that I was gasping for air. Books that I put down for a moment to recover from the (real) pain in my chest from near hysteria. There have been very few others.
In the intervening years a lot has changed in South Africa but even younger readers will be aware of the madness that shook the country for so many years. The legacy will take generations to heal. However, as we still remember, the hilarity of the book is just about as great.
If you can take the pain of the laughter then read them. The very best of a very funny writer.
Tom Sharpe is a brilliantly funny writer in my opinion.
I'd read Porterhouse Blue and wanted more.

You'll certainly get more with this book. Just as funny, if not more.

Anyway, I hope that this review is helpful in some way when making the decision.