5.0 out of 5 stars The first Regency I read , it got me hooked!
Published on 16 July 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Hard to get onto the storyline
It was hard to get into the storyline of this book, but then it's the first time of reading any of her books..
Published 10 months ago by Jennifer Robinson

5.0 out of 5 stars The first Regency I read , it got me hooked!, 16 July 2000
This review is from: Arabella (Paperback)
I found a battered copy of this on the crewroom floor at work and as I was at a loose end I read it . I was hooked on Georgette Heyer from that moment . On her way to London Arabella seeks shelter in Mr Beaumaris' house having no idea who he is . He thinks it a ploy on her part and she overhears his not very flattering opinion of her . She decides to pay him back by pretending to be an heiress who would never be interested in him , little knowing that she will meet him everywhere in London and her heiress tale will spread like wildfire . Conseqeuntly , she has all the fortune hunters after her but the only man she really wants is Beaumaris . She can never marry him and keep up the pretence but how can she tell him the truth and not loose him ?

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book - Ulysses is the next great Character!, 13 Nov. 2005
Helen Hancox "Auntie Helen" (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Arabella (Paperback)
Arabella is one of my favourite Heyer books and part of its charm are the amusing conversations that Beaumaris has with the little dog Ulysses. The central idea that because Arabella isn’t interested in Beaumaris, that piques his interest and makes him pursue her, works quite well except it’s never entirely clear what it is about her that DOES attract him. Yes, she’s pretty – although younger than his usual lady, but she is also innocent and unworldly and therefore makes mistakes that he appears (rather surprisingly) to find charming; she foists young orphans, mongrel dogs and penniless brothers on him (not usually guaranteed to snare your man) and she withholds the truth of her fortune from him – not knowing that he already knows it.
Beaumaris starts the book seeming jaded, bored – the typical rich Heyer hero (although untitled this time), but he seems to become more and more amiable as the book goes on, going against his better judgement in order to humour her in many areas (such as Jemmy the Climbing Boy that he takes in). His conversations with the dog are fantastic though – Heyer occasionally includes dogs in her books and she always gives a wonderfully affectionate and amusing portrait, such as Lufra in the book Frederica and Bouncer in The Reluctant Widow.
The book is a great fun read, with lots of interesting characters well-drawn. For me the only real disappointment is that we never really know quite why Beaumaris falls in love with Arabella, apart from her innocence and freshness, and also why he is so sure that she does really like him when she has given him so little encouragement.
Despite these negative comments, read it and enjoy it. It’s well worth it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Ulysees Steals the Show., 12 Aug. 2008
Kit (Dewsbury) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Arabella (Paperback)
I seem to be chain-reading Heyer's Regency romances at the moment, and this one has been my latest. I very much enjoyed it, but the book only really came to life after the rescue and Beaumaris's subsequent adoption of Ulysees the mongrel. His relationship with Ulysees and also that of his staff is joyful. (While we are on the subject, a mention must also go to Painswick, Beaumaris's fastidious valet - a very camp David Walliams should play him if ever there was a dramatisation.)

I did find it a bit hard to believe sometimes how Beaumaris always seemed to know everything, but maybe that's just fustian nonsense on my part.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite Georgette Heyer (so far, and I've read lots), 23 May 2000
This review is from: Arabella (Paperback)
This is my all-time favourite Georgette Heyer novel and indeed one of my favourite novels full stop. It is a fairytale combination of a sweet, lively and infinitely likeable heroine in Arabella and a hero which is the closest I've found to Mr Darcy in the appealing hero stakes in Mr Beaumaris. The storyline is charming, the characters captivating - this is definitely one which you will look forward to re-reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite Georgette Heyer's, 28 July 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Arabella (Mass Market Paperback)
This has to be one of her funniest, the characters are so full of life and yet it is all done so lightly, with no heavy handedness. The hero and heroine are, as ever, very interesting characters, and I personally find the hero's unrepentant mischievousness much more appealing than any plaster saint.
Though the 'conversations' with his dog has to be the highlight of this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Sparkling Regency Romance, 15 Mar. 2011
Damaskcat (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Arabella (Kindle Edition)
It's a long time since I last read `Arabella' and I had totally forgotten how good it is. Arabella is the daughter of a Yorkshire parson who is invited to London for the Season to stay with her Godmother. Arabella's family are not well off and her mother has been saving for years so that she can have new clothes for her stay. During her journey to London accompanied by a neighbour's governess their carriage breaks down close to one of the properties belonging to Mr Robert Beaumaris. Arabella is not impressed with this gentleman because she over hears him and his guest talking about her.

Her reaction to the overheard comment stores up trouble for herself as she suggests that she is an heiress. As a result she is a huge success in London and Mr Beaumaris goes out of his way to make her popular. I loved both Arabella and Robert and actually had a lot of sympathy for her much tried Godmother. The dialogue - especially between Robert and Arabella is marvellously done being both amusing and natural.

One of my favourite characters is Ulysses, the mongrel dog - but to explain how he comes into the story would spoil the plot. I think `Arabella' is one of my favourite Heyer romances and Arabella herself one of my favourites among her younger heroines. She knows her own mind and has very definite principles which she will not go against. But she is not put off by society's conventions and doesn't believe any of Robert's deliberate flattery. If you have not tried Georgette Heyer before then this book would be a good one to start with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful, perfect for a teen's first Heyer experience, 29 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Arabella (Paperback)
Arabella was my first book of Georgette Heyer's and even though I have read others now and enjoyed them. Arabella is still my favourite. I fell in love with the Austen-esque style of writing straight away but soon forgot about this because the of the storyline and characters.

They made me smile so much and the plot about a young Vicar's daughter taking London by storm in her first Season as she quickly learns about the ways of high society was just my type- it was the kind of thing that I see myself writing about!

Arabella was a wonderful heroin, not seemingly perfect, as is the problem with some girls in romance novels) as she was innocent and and sweet but also lively with a nose for fun, which made her very likeable. She was very caring and intelligent too and did not stop as would have been expected of a society girl at the boundaries of class when it came to helping someone. Also, her naivety of fashionable society and the little `mistakes' that she made kept the book very lively. I like the way that she is represented on the newest version of the cover at the top of this post as being very thoughtful and elegant- it's very beautiful.

The hero of the book was Mr Beaumaris, the most eligible bachelor in London who made the story come to life with his mischievous ways, teasing of Arabella and the funny little conversations with a mongrel dog. He was handsome and elegant, the London trendsetter whom everyone looked up to with a witty sense of humour.

Arabella is filled with lovely historically accurate details that gave me the perfect introduction the Regency Romance Genre. I have now also read Cotillion and The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer, which I recommend too.

I think that it should be on the reading list of every teenage girl (or anyone else looking for an introduction to historical romance.) It was so charming and light, leaving you in such a happy mood- it is now one of my favourite ever books (and it's very rare or me to say that!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably my very favourite Heyer, 9 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Arabella (Paperback)
I am somewhat disconcerted to see that this gets such lukewarm reviews from other reviewers, as I would probably say that it is my favourite of all the Georgette Heyers! So why is that? Well, unlike the other reviewers I have no difficulty at all in seeing why Beaumaris falls in love with Arabella - I adore her too! Not only is she (of course) stunningly beautiful (one of the dark beauties, not the "guinea gold" ones, in case you are interested), but she is plainly very intelligent (her ready understanding of the new world that her trip to London enters her upon, and her playing those rules to her best advantage) and most importantly she is a very good person, with strong principles for which she is prepared to fight (the scene when she rescues a chimney sweep who falls into her room is hilarious, and touching). I for one can readily see that for a basically good man, beset by temptations to selfishness and selfindulgence, a very beautiful and forceful conscience would make an excellent wife! Beaumaris' process of softening, through exposure to Arabella's unspoilt nature (and the charming blandishments of Ulysses) is a pleasure to follow.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite Georgette Heyer, 24 Aug. 2002
This review is from: Arabella (Paperback)
This is without doubt my favourite Georgette Heyer. Beaumaris is the perfect hero - handsome, elegant and incapable of refusing the demands of the lovely Arabella. But he doesn't gush his feelings - he just gets on with it, so you know how he feels by how he acts. You always know what the result will be, and because it is so well written, you can thoroughly enjoy the journey towards it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 5 Dec. 1999
This review is from: Arabella (Paperback)
I would highly recommend this book to all Heyer fans. I find Arabella my favorite heroine out of all the Georgette Heyer's books I have read. Arabella is a naive, but extremely spirited young lady. Therefore when she feels herself slighted by the arrogant Mr Beaumaris she has no scruples in putting him into his place. However the tables seem to turn and Arabella gets into a number of scrapes which seem to place Mr Beaumaris the leader of the little 'game' that they play. Very witty and really a very charming book

Arabella
Arabella by Georgette Heyer (Paperback - 7 Oct. 2004)