5.0 out of 5 stars Very funny

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing special
Published on 12 Aug. 2007 by Lecari

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Very funny, 17 July 2004
This review is from: Dot.Homme (Hardcover)
I read this book, having really enjoyed The Ex Files by the same author. I liked this one even better. This book should act as a serious warning for any girl trying to meet Mr Right on line. I'd also recommend The Mile High Guy (Marisa Mackle), Shopaholic and Sister (Sophie Kinsella) and The Other Side of the Story(Marian Keyes) for readers who like these type of books. In the meantime keep writing those hits please Jane. And I also love the title... very clever!

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing special, 12 Aug. 2007
This review is from: Dot Homme (Paperback)
I bought this with a magazine, so I'd have something to read while at work. Jess, the main character of the novel, works as a researcher for a daytime TV show (they always have glamorous jobs), and for her birthday she's given an account on an internet dating site. Not much of the book is about the men she meets through it and the dates she goes on, though (a bit misleading, in my opinion, since that's what the blurb talks about most). Instead, the majority of the book deals with her relationship with her sister.

There's nothing particularly stand-outish about this book; just typical light humour 'chick-lit.' Some parts were good and unexpected, and it is a good page-turner (even if it was obvious who she would end up with in the end). Definitely better than some 'chick-lit' books I've read, but nothing special. It wasn't awful, but it wasn't amazing - a good holiday read. Probably more enjoyable for women who don't read much, or enjoy reading the articles in Cosmo.

1.0 out of 5 stars An insult to women's intelligence!, 2 Aug. 2005
This review is from: Dot Homme (Paperback)
OK so chick lit isn't trying to be Dickens. But this sterile drivel insults the intelligence of any poor girl unlucky enough to start reading Dot.Homme.
From the end of chapter one it's entirely obvious how the story is going to unfold, and it doesn't fail to disappoint. The book follows the main character, the mindless Jess Monroe (Bridget Jones minus the wit and charm), in her quest for a man.
As the reviewer above quite rightly said, a bit less toadying to her newspaper boss and a bit more work on producing a vaguely entertaining book would have been TIME WELL SPENT by Jane Moore.
Take this book on a long plane journey and save it for the moment when you really want to get yourself off to sleep but are just too uncomfortable. Even if you're in the smallest economy seat by the loo I promise this book will do the job!

3.0 out of 5 stars iv read better, 8 July 2007
This review is from: Dot Homme (Paperback)
i thought this book was going to be worse than what it actually was,it was very cheesy but it did make me lagh sometimes as well,there were a few un-tasteful comments thou which i think can be very insulting to some people like the comment about the thin rich woman saying they spend all day vomiting up what they eat.not nice.anyway i don't regret reading it but I'm glad that i didn't actually buy it either (i got it free from a mag)

1.0 out of 5 stars Identi-Lit, 7 July 2005
This review is from: Dot Homme (Paperback)
Single girl in her mid-30s? Check. Job in the media? Check. Slightly eccentric but solidly middle-class parents? Gay best friends? Oh, and cute boys with well-paid jobs? Check, check, check! I mean, I love chick lit and I just wanna have fun reading it but I can't enjoy it when I can see the clumsy stitching that's holding it together. And they all speak in Bridget Jonesese - "memo to self" etc. I don't need great literature but I do want to feel that the author concentrated more on writing the novel than on writing the fawning tribute to her newspaper's editor. Come on, girl - a little bit of originality for my money, please.

1.0 out of 5 stars Marian Keyes has nothing to worry about here!, 2 Jun. 2007
Anck Su Namin (The Seething Metropolis , UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dot Homme (Paperback)
Another formulaic offering from Jane Moore. Having read the dire Fourplay I vowed I would never bother with another of her 'novels', however I got this free with a magazine and thought that I would see if she had improved.

Moore's writing is dreadful. She may be able to cobble together a magazine column for a low-brow rag but that does not make her in a way fit to be an author. The main character was vile, her friends unlikeable and the hook she used to try and get the reader to care (the sister with BC) was cheap and tasteless.

What offends me most about Jane Moore is that her books read like she has cobbled together all the jokes, one-liners and clever 'in' sayings that she has heard and stuck a bit of paper-thin story in to pad them out. I am glad that I didn't actually pay for this, but miffed that I wasted a bit of my life reading it. It saddens me to think of all the potentially good authors that get overlooked so that people like this get published because of who they work for and who they are married to, rather than any genuine talent.

2.0 out of 5 stars Horribly predicitable, leaving a very empty feeling, 2 Jan. 2006
This review is from: Dot Homme (Paperback)
I wanted to give this book one star, but then I thought to myself that the fact that I continued to read it and get to the end even though I thought it was awful must mean it is okay.
But that is absolutely all it is. And it is only okay because is it very difficult for chick-lit to achieve a level lower than okay.
There are two main problems with this book that left me excruciatingly unengaged. One, it is undeniably predictable. It is no exaggeration to say that half way through the book I was certain who the heroine would end up with. I realise that there are conventions to be stuck to when writing this type of novel but the ending does not have to be so obvious that there truly is no point reading to the end. Then, just when I thought there may finally be a reward for sticking it out, at the end there is another terribly predictable 'twist'. By this point I really wished I’d had the will power to throw the book out of the window.
The second problem is that the main character, Jess, is completely unappealing. I really hoped that she didn't get the guy because she was undeserving of him. Her selfishness has reached such a degree that she needs some professional help. At one point she tells us that she is trying to make others feel good by lying to them about how their boyfriend feels about them, promptly to write abusive comments on this person’s place card at a dinner party.
So, if you have read every other romantic comedy book on the market then by all means read this, but otherwise try something which mixes the conventions of the genre with a good plot, for example, Penny Vincennzi.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book but just be aware, 10 Nov. 2012
Sirina (Essex England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dot Homme (Paperback)
The book started off light hearteed and an enjoyable read but I was taken aback by the storyline changing to Jess (the main character) going through the trauma of her sister Livvy suffering from breast cancer and consequent radiotherapy. For anyone going through this in their personal life it could be quite difficult to continue reading. Just be aware that if anyone decides to buy this book for friends/family going through this condition, it may be worth buying others that she has written as they are generally fun to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A modern tale for modern women, 21 July 2004
This review is from: Dot.Homme (Hardcover)
Having read and thoroughly enjoyed 'Foursome' and 'The Ex-Files', I rushed out to get Jane Moores latest and was not disappointed. It follows a year in the life of one Jess Monroe. It opens with it being her 34th birthday and a 'friend', Kara, has put an advert on an internet dating website on her behalf as a gift. In the end she decides to give it a go and you are left laughing at the results! It is also a touching and poignant book, as it also follows Jess through the trauma of her sister Livvy suffering from breast cancer. All in all, a witty and enchanting read which I'm sure many modern women will relate to in some way.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fab holiday book!, 3 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Dot Homme (Paperback)
I first read this book in 2005 in Corfu on holiday, and found the content so true to life when it comes to dating sites! I was taking a girlie holiday myself after breaking up with an ex, so this book cheered me up no end! I borrowed the book initially but am seeking a copy for myself and am pleased that I have managed to track it down again after 5 years!! Hilarious and I couldn't put it down once I started reading!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Dot Homme
Dot Homme by Mrs Jane Moore (Paperback - 23 Jun. 2005)