1,302 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books I've read in ages
At first glance, this book might seem like a gimmick book - the idea of a man who time travels to various parts of his own, his wife's, and other's lifetimes seems like a plot gimmick that won't hold up beyond the first chapter, but it's not! In fact, the whole time-travelling thing is just a vehicle for one of the most moving, tragic love stories I have read in quite a...
Published on 29 Jan 2004 by Liz

3.0 out of 5 stars Hard to wrap your brain around.
Although this book is not one of my favorites, it is interesting and worth reading. 'The Time Traveler's Wife' is about a man who has a bizarre ability to travel back and forth in time but has no control over when and where it will happen. During one of his time traveling moments, he meets the love of his life when she is just a girl, and they proceed to have a friendly...
Published on 31 July 2007 by maya j

5.0 out of 5 stars Flawless, 29 Mar 2005
Ella (London, Europe) - See all my reviews
I have just finished 'The Time Traveller's Wife' and I am still reeling from the fact that there is no more left for me to read. I enjoyed the book so much I just didn't want to finish it, and tried in vain to put off reading the last few chapters, as a pathetic attempt to make the experience of reading the book last longer!
It was one of the most original, touching stories that I have ever read in my life. The tale of Henry and Clare's romance was so unique and intensely interesting that I will have trouble ever forgetting it.
The words 'time-travel' would normally stir up thoughts of science-fiction and Michael J. Fox, but the book effectively uses the concept as a way of playing out a romance over the course of several years. Henry has a rare condition that causes him to randomly time-travel to different points in his life, something which he has no control over. As Henry moves back and forth throughout different decades, Clare must wait for him, patiently. Never sure when he will appear and never sure of when he will disappear, Clare's love for Henry reamins a constant, steady force in a world of instabilty and disruptiveness. As the years pass and their love grows stronger, Clare must learn how to cope with a lover who never stays in one place for very long.
A complex intelligent novel, Niffenegger's first work of fiction is a rare thing - a truly orignal story that keeps the reader gripped to the very last page. What's more, the book is a deeply romantic love story which raises intelligent questions about the concepts of time, fate and destiny. I am not an overly-romantic person, but I must confess that I was blown-away by the story of Henry and Clare's love for each other, and I was moved to tears more than once. Clare is an adorable character, beautiful and intelligent, an artist with a passion that burns as deep as her long, auburn hair. Henry, whose chaotic life provides the axis for the entire novel to revolve around, is deeply constructed by the author, a man whose life is never steady, yet who remains grounded by one thing - Clare.
Absolutely stunning - you have to read this book

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 21 Aug 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: The Time Traveler's Wife (Paperback)
Let me start by saying that this is not the kind of book I would normally consider buying. It's a love story for gods sake! Why would I, a Tom Clancy, Steven Hawking, Film Studies text book, Terry Pratchett reading male get into reading a female centric love story for?
I bough the book because it had such good word of mouth, award nominations, I had just finished reading Cloud Atlas, and lets face it, finding it very cheap on the shelves of a well known supermarket!
It was only as once I had actually opened the cover started reading the book that I "got" the reason for the hype.
I could not put the book down, as I was constantly drawn to find out what would happen next to the two protagonist. The fact that the story was told through at least 3 strands of linear-ish time as seem from the point of view of only one of the characters made it even more interesting as you try to peace together in your head a timeline of events both backwards and forwards from the "now".
I even got into the emotional side of the book, as you are taken under the characters skin and find out what makes them tick and why. I really felt for the characters, their fractured, sometimes troubled relationship, and the contradictions that Henry's time travelling have for all the people Clare and Henry encounter during their lives.
I think because the theory and practice of time travel where considered so coherently as part of the plot, and not just as an excuse for the couples unusual relationship, that I really took to the book. It spoke to the scientist, the adventurer and the analyst in me, and allowed the love story to be part of the whole in a way I enjoyed and appreciated when I would not have normally done so.
A very good read, and enjoyably thought provoking.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Book swept me away..., 13 Jun 2007
This review is from: The Time Traveler's Wife (Paperback)
I bought this book to read on the Beach. I did not expect to enjoy it as much as I did. This story literally swept me away.. I could not put it down and when I did put it down (to eat, shower, get changed etc!) I did not stop thinking about it. I sobbed at least three times. I did not want it to end, and when it did I sobbed again. The writing is beautiful and the characters fully rounded and believable. Amazing. Buy it.!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Time Traveler's Wife, 14 Jan 2005
This review is from: The Time Traveler's Wife (Paperback)
This is a most entertaining and highly original book. It is essentially a love story involving Henry and Clare. Henry suffers from a genetic disorder which causes him to time travel against his will, locally, at random . Although he meets various people, including himself whilst time travelling and interacts with them, he cannot change the course of future events. Henry and Clare first meet whilst he is time travelling. He is in his forties and she is a child. They become friends and eventually meet up in real time and marry. They struggle to maintain their relationship despite Henry's sudden absences and erratic behaviour. I found it best not to try and put events into chronological order because it can be confusing at times. This does help the reader to empathise with Henry and Clare's struggle to maintain their relationship. An excellent read, I highly recommend this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Unmissable!, 19 April 2007
Ms. N. R. Carr "nicolac34" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Time Traveler's Wife (Paperback)
I happened by this book whilst trying to kill time on my lunch break in the local library. I read the first couple of pages (remembering some hype about it before) and before I knew it an hour had passed and I couldn't put it down.

Not my usual read (I'm more into crime fiction) but I thought this book was totally amazing. It made me laugh, and ultimatly made me cry. I will be reading this book again and again as I am convinced that I have missed bits first time round!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book you'd wish would never finish, 30 Dec 2006
M. Garcia (london) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Time Traveler's Wife (Paperback)
the book's pace and the great characters makes this book one you wouldn't want to put down.i especially love the way its been written, it captures everything perfectly without being overly convoluted or faffy. the closer i got to the end the more i wished it wouldn't end. i do mourn the end of the book & still wonder about the characters, juxtaposing my life to their scenarios. its a really great book and the best present for anyone,or even yourself!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking Good Read, 24 Mar 2005
By A Customer
I can not recommend this novel enough, definitely the best book I have read so far this year. It is the story of Clare the wife of Henry who suffers a rare genetical condition which causes him to time travel unvoluntarily - sometimes for minuts, sometimes for hours or even days. The timetravelling, which I was initially a bit worried about, is brought brilliantly to life. The rules are laid down so casually that you come to accept them as if you new time travellers yourself. The real theme of the book, time and how it changes us, our loved ones and love itself is put to you in a very entertaining and engaging way. The story is told form the perspectives of the time traveller and his wife which I found worked very well, not only to flesh out both characters in equal measure but also to show how events are viewed completely differently based on the experience in life we have. It also has one of the most heartbreaking endings I have read in a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Astoundingly creative, beautifully sad., 26 Oct 2005
M. J. Cleaver "cleavermike" (Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Time Traveler's Wife (Paperback)
After (like the rest of the world) reading the complete works of Dan Brown I was at a loss what type of book to read next. So I chose The Time Traveller's Wife. I was spell bound. It's superb. Although, as a 46 year old married man with two children I obviously don't do the crying thing(!), I read the last pages alone locked in my son's bedroom and came out pretending I'd got a cold.
If you only read one book in your life read this. If you only read two books, read it twice.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book I have read in a long time, 14 Feb 2007
This review is from: The Time Traveler's Wife (Paperback)
The Time Traveller's Wife tells the love story between Henry and Claire. Claire first meets Henry when she is 6 and he is 36, though he won't meet her for the first time 'til some years later when he is 28 and she is 20. This happens because Henry suffers from a genetic condition whereby he can find himself pulled into the past or the future without warning.

The book is split into three parts, each introduced with a quote - either poetry or prose. Well worth taking the time to read, as I think they add layers to the book, and play in your mind as you're reading.

There are a couple of scenes that I know some people have problems with, but in my opinion there is nothing gratuitous here, everything is in context. The characters behave in wholly believable ways in the situations they find themselves in. Both Henry and Claire do things they perhaps regret; but these are human beings and as such are flawed creations. Through it all, you never doubt the deep love they have for one another.

If it were possible to give this book more than five stars I would. By turns uplifting, heart-rending, bittersweet and hopeful. It is a story that stays with you long after you've put the book down. And because of the complexities and depth of the plot it's a story you can come back to, and re-read many times over. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishing., 21 Oct 2005
jsny (North Yorkshire, Uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Time Traveler's Wife (Paperback)
I was initially put off by the poetry that I didn't understand at the beginning of the book and the rather perplexing idea of time travel so I thought to myself - just read on dear and let it all wash over you and it might sink in eventually (like watching The Matrix!!) and sure enough by the end of chapter one I was hooked. I loved this book for the humour, the characters, the ideas, the romance, the originality... one could go on and on. I can't understand one reviewer who said the characters were unappealing. Which ones? Flawed maybe as we all are but not unappealing. I fell in love with Henry and Clare and was heartbroken with the last quarter of the book. That is not to say the book is depressing as such - it is just about love - the highs and the lows. Extremely thought provoking. Loved it.

The Time Traveler's Wife
The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (Paperback - 6 Jan 2005)
6.04