5.0 out of 5 stars whowwwwwwwwwww...what a read
..you're married,your husband goes off with a model and you are left with the decision what do I do now...why not set up a company..you've no money,no home..but you go for it..
Published on 30 Aug 2001 by Helena Kawalec

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
Published 1 month ago by Amanda

5.0 out of 5 stars whowwwwwwwwwww...what a read, 30 Aug 2001
This review is from: A Woman of Our Times (Paperback)
That may seem to you a typical start of any book..but there is nothing typical with this one..you are taken in a whirl wind of excitement, hurt, defeat, deception and above all successssssssssss!!!! Not being sexist or anything, but this one is for the ladies..you'll love it..as do all of my friends and mum included. Easy to read but you won't put it down!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 14 Aug 2014
This review is from: A Woman of Our Times (Paperback)
Disappointed by this one from Rosie Thomas. Could not believe this is by the same author as the wonderful Iris and Ruby and The Kashmir Shawl. I adored these beautifully written and researched books and have recommended them to many people. This is just not in the same class in terms of writing or research. Did not like the story either. I don't have to like my heroes but I need to identify them in some way, but I just found Harriet a totally vile individual, selfish in the extreme and materialistic. The author has tried to redeem her at the end but I am afraid it was far too late. I have since learned that this is an early book from the author and I am relieved by this, as she has certainly come a very long way since this was written.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not one of her best, 8 Jan 2014
This review is from: A Woman of Our Times (Paperback)
One of Rosie Thomas' earlier novels and perhaps therefore not one of her better ones. Could not be bothered to read it all although some might enjoy it as an introduction to her work.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK but not one of Rosie Thomas's best, 14 Oct 2013
This review is from: A Woman of Our Times (Paperback)
This is quite a big book - my copy is 547 pages - and an interesting read, but you have to accept that it is a novel and overlook the bits that seem rather unbelievable [for example, can broken bones heal in less than six weeks?]

Harriet Peacock is a natural entrepreneur - she could probably sell hamburgers to vegetarians - and she's prepared to work hard for as long as it takes to achieve her ambitions. But she's a bit short of common sense and makes some bad decisions which have terrible repercussions for herself and more importantly, other people.

This is by no means one of Rosie Thomas's best novels, but there is a taste of things to come in the section when Harriet goes to Los Angeles. The description of L.A. in the Spring, with it's clogged freeways, beautiful houses in the hills, flowers and sunshine, really brings the place to life, whereas the settings in London and Kent are but pale sketches in comparison. Travel writing - or more accurately, stories set in foreign locations - are Rosie Thomas's genre. She has a brilliant eye for detail, sense of place and atmosphere.

"A Woman of Our Times" is OK - but it doesn't leave you wishing for a sequel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Guaranteed, 26 April 2012
This review is from: A Woman of Our Times (Paperback)
A speedy delivery, book in good condition. Rosie Thomas is one of my favourite writers and to me is always a guaranteed read. Every woman of any age should give her a try, they will then be hooked just like me!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not in as good condition as advertised, 3 Jan 2013
This review is from: A Woman of Our Times (Paperback)
Was advertised as very good condition but was a bit worn, however at the very good price this is acceptable

A Woman of Our Times
A Woman of Our Times by Rosie Thomas (Paperback - 3 July 2003)
Used & New from: 0.01