5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book and I am 50+
Published on 30 Sep 1999

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't live up to its potential.
Published on 23 Jun 2011 by T. Wahaid

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book and I am 50+, 30 Sep 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: How To Live Forever (Red Fox Picture Books) (Paperback)
I found this book by accident in my local library and was immediately captivated by the illustrations, which are absolutely superb. They have a magical quality which matched the whimsical story, and I spent ages just finding all the visual jokes and giggles contained within them. A must-have for collectors of beautiful illustrations, and great fun to read and explore with a child. So I'm buying it. Janet S.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book (for all ages), 10 Dec 2009
D. Rowland (Lancashire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How To Live Forever (Red Fox Picture Books) (Paperback)
I am a primary teacher and I first came across this book some years ago when a boy in my class chose it from the school library. I made a mental note to buy myself a copy and have only just got round to it having stumbled across it on Amazon - and I am so glad I did. This book is just stunning. The illustrations are fabulous works of art - intricate and imaginative - and many hours could easily be passed taking in all the detail. The story is wonderful too. The whole thing just gives me goosebumps! I love picture books and this is easily one of my favourites. In fact I'm just about to buy another copy for my mum (who loves books and art - perfect!). Definitely a must have for all collectors of picture books. An absolute classic, I can't rave about it enough...

5.0 out of 5 stars How to Live Forever by Colin Thompson, 2 Aug 2009
This review is from: How to Live Forever (Hardcover)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I loved everything about it, illustrations and the story. There are so many things to see on each page, and you are "forever" finding new details. I've had the book for three weeks, and I pick it up every few days. I have only just noticed Peter running through the blue and white garden, and the crushed paint tube which resembles a sleeping crescent moon (on the red lacquered shelves).

It is a magical story about a library that comes to life at night, and a young boy's quest to find a book that has been missing for 200 years.

It is a truly excellent book, and a modern day classic. Adults and Children of all ages are sure to love it. We did, and our ages range from seven to eighty two!

In fact, I've enjoyed it so much that I'm going to buy the hardback version too.

5.0 out of 5 stars My 6year-old son loves this book!, 16 July 2009
This review is from: How To Live Forever (Red Fox Picture Books) (Paperback)
He has made me read it to him every night for the past week - he loves the story (the idea of immortality and why you might not want to live forever..pretty philosphical stuff!) and also loves Colin Thompson's drawings - I recommend his other books, particularly Paperbag Prince.

5.0 out of 5 stars A thought-provoking tale that gives me the shivers. (the good kind), 21 Jun 2008
R. Healy (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How To Live Forever (Red Fox Picture Books) (Paperback)
I love this book. A delightful and wonderful short story with some simply amazing illustrations. Buy it. You will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am so grateful to this book!! A great start to teacher training., 10 Oct 2009
A. Whatmore "Trainee Teach" (Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How To Live Forever (Red Fox Picture Books) (Paperback)
I am just setting out on Teacher Training and I used this book to get some reluctant readers hooked on books. The story is great; full of fantasy and mystery! But better still, the illustrations are so amazing and detailed, I would defy anyone not to start looking for characters in this fantastical world that Colin Thompson has created. Going to the library will never be the same again for me or hopefully my class, and for my first reading to my class of 7 and 8 year olds...it worked, they were pleading for me to leave the book behind YES! Result.

Don't be afraid to explore life and death with children; they have interesting views, after all it is part of life. One boy confessed living for ever would mean everyday filled with chocolate and he would never be bored!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't live up to its potential., 23 Jun 2011
T. Wahaid "thehonesttruth" (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How To Live Forever (Red Fox Picture Books) (Paperback)
It was the bright and detailed cover of this book that first drew me in - as you can probably tell from the image above, it's very busy, with lots of tiny little details to look out for. I spent ages staring at the cover alone, with each passing of my eyes over the page revealing a new and surprising little detail - a tiny skull lurking in the corner, or a flock of flamingoes casually strolling about between the books, while a chicken pecks at her feet for corn. I love really detailed illustration like this - and luckily this style of illustration continues throughout the book, with each double page spread being a feast for the eyes.

There are a couple of pages that stand out for being a bit different - one page, describing a scene set in the Orient, is an excellent representation of Chinese Willow Pattern design - however these pages are different because it fits with the story.

The story itself started off excellently - a library that comes to life at night, with people and animals coming out from the books (which themselves turn into houses) and the main character Peter resolving, with his pet cat Brian, to find the book so they can both live forever . Sadly though, at about halfway through, the pace of the book seemed to slow down considerably . The ending of the book was particularly disappointing - not the ending itself, so much as the way it was written, which was incredibly vague and lacking the rich detail of the earlier pages in the book . My daughter had started to get bored of hearing the story towards the end and had wondered off, which I suppose speaks for itself.

Overall, I felt quite let down by this book - the early pages had seemed so promising, and the illustrations throughout were gorgeous. It's just a shame it lost pace and ended poorly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love, love, love..., 21 Mar 2014
K. Stephens (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How To Live Forever (Red Fox Picture Books) (Paperback)
Cannot recommend this book highly enough - surprised I haven't reviewed it already! (maybe I have…)
Fantastic illustrations, the more you look, the more you see - lots of detail to notice time after time.
For book lovers the whole idea of a library springing to life in this way is so very appealing.
I've used this book with primary aged children 6-11 to spark some great discussions.

5.0 out of 5 stars fab book., 5 Feb 2014
This review is from: How To Live Forever (Red Fox Picture Books) (Paperback)
Love the book detailed drawing is fab, a great read will be buying more.
great price, product details and postage.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful Childrens book, 14 Nov 2013
This review is from: How To Live Forever (Red Fox Picture Books) (Paperback)
This is one of my favorite books, every, the illustrations are intricate and compelling, and the story is engrossing. I read it as a child and I will read it to my children.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

How To Live Forever (Red Fox Picture Books)
How To Live Forever (Red Fox Picture Books) by Colin Thompson (Paperback - 5 Mar 1998)
5.24