4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not as funny as Mark Watson.
I bought this book as I am a big fan of Mark Watsons stand up. I enjoyed the book and by no means was it a chore to get through. On reading this book of his alone I would say he is a better stand up than writer. I think that is fair.
It was a good read but I was a little unconvinced.
Published on 24 July 2009 by Mr. N. Murray

3.0 out of 5 stars Rather too Light
Published on 10 May 2009 by Quicksilver

3.0 out of 5 stars Rather too Light, 10 May 2009
Quicksilver (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: A Light-hearted Look at Murder (Paperback)
'A Light-Hearted Look at Murder' is a readable, entertaining novel, written by master of under-stated comedy, Mark Watson. It tells two stories, one of which follows Alexandra, a disenfranchised twenty-something, who is discovering that life after university doesn't quite live up to its billing. In an attempt to add some substance to her life, she volunteers for a 'write to a convict' scheme. Before long she has struck up correspondence with a German prisoner, Andreas, who sends her his memoirs. Andreas' life story makes up the novel's second narrative.

The thread dealing with Andreas' life at university and his improbable career as a Hitler impersonator is by far the stronger of the two storylines. I found the sections involving Alex to be weak. They seemed to be little more than filler, used to pad out the novel between the more intersting tale of how Andreas ended up in prison. The characters in both narratives, though quirky, were two-dimensional, and felt like rejects from a Jonathan Coe novel. If you haven't read Coe's far superior What a Carve Up! (Penguin Celebrations) then I suggest you start there. To make matters worse, Watson's blurb writers have done him no favours. Their claims of 'seriously dangerous lookalikes', suggests sinister skulduggery that just isn't there.

There are some very funny moments in this book, most notably, when Andreas, Bingo calling dressed as the Fuhrer, undergoes something of a crisis. Not only is this section hilarious, it is an incisive look at the boundaries of acceptable comedy, and examines the hypocrisy of the chattering classes. Unfortunately, sections of this depth were few and far between and overall though it was pleasant enough to read, I found that 'ALHLAM' rather lacking in substance.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not as funny as Mark Watson., 24 July 2009
This review is from: A Light-hearted Look at Murder (Paperback)
It was a good read but I was a little unconvinced.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a wonderful book!, 10 Mar. 2013
This review is from: A Light-hearted Look at Murder (Paperback)
I bought this book after one of Mark's comedy shows and didn't read it for a while. When I did though, I couldn't put it down! I absolutely loved it! I really enjoyed Mark's writing style and thought the story was enticing, imaginative and creative. I would definitely recommend this book and I'm going to order some of his other books. Well done Mark!

4.0 out of 5 stars ... I always know that I'm going to get a good read with a bit of wry humour, 3 Feb. 2015
Ms. K. J. Phipps (Manchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Light-hearted Look at Murder (Paperback)
I have become a bit of a Mark Watson fan and I always know that I'm going to get a good read with a bit of wry humour. If you've read any of this other work, this is as good as that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 18 Nov. 2014
Brilliant read, highly recommended

A Light-hearted Look at Murder
A Light-hearted Look at Murder by Mark Watson (Paperback - 7 Aug. 2008)