5.0 out of 5 stars An Extremely Entertaining Read
This is the first book I have read by Anne Rice and I found it a wonderful read. I know the subject is a long way away from the novel that she usual writes, but she has obviously put a lot of thought and a tremendous amount of research into a book I found most enjoyable, and held my attention until the very last page.

The book gives an excellent portrayal of...
Published on 9 Nov 2006 by J. Chippindale

2.0 out of 5 stars Worthy But Dull
Anne Rice novels would not normally be my thing but I was fascinated by the idea of a fictional imagining of the early life of Jesus, about which we know so little. I've read a reasonable amount of non-fiction relating to the bible and early Christianity and this seemed like an appealing alternate perspective on the whole area.

Unfortunately I found the...
Published on 26 Jun 2008 by John Crothers

5.0 out of 5 stars An Extremely Entertaining Read, 9 Nov 2006
J. Chippindale (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Christ The Lord: Out of Egypt (Christ the Lord 1) (Mass Market Paperback)

The book gives an excellent portrayal of the life and times of Jesus Christ and provides a well constructed portrait of the man Jesus himself. I say the man deliberately because although the book is a work of fiction its belief is in the faith that there is a God, a being who created the universe and all the things in it. It's belief is that Jesus took on human form and dwelt among his people.

The source of the book is not only the bible and gospels, but also history. It attempts to show the life of the boy Jesus as it happens from day to day. I found it both compulsive reading and to a degree thought provoking, although the book is not a religious book in the true sense of the word.

4.0 out of 5 stars I'd recommend it, 5 Jun 2010
My first problem with this book was knowing how to classify it. I ended up putting it in both spirituality and fiction, since it certainly contains elements of both. Anne Rice, the author of numerous, very commercially successful vampire books, has had a religious conversion (reversion really) and written a novel about the childhood of Jesus. These are the missing years of his life, since (except for one description of Jesus in Jerusalem as a child) the gospel accounts jump straight from infancy to the beginning of his public ministry as an adult.

How accurate is this? Who and how could anybody possibly ever know? It does consider an interesting question. If one believes the traditional Christian notion of the Incarnation (that Jesus was both fully human and fully divine) at what point and how would the child Jesus realize this. This book is Rice's take on this question. There is also an afterword that gives more information on her decision to return to the Catholicism of her childhood and to write this book. I'm sure long time fans of her previous work would find this interesting.

Ovrall, it's a pretty quick read and I'd recommend it to folks who are intersted in this type of thing

4.0 out of 5 stars My first Rice book, 15 Nov 2006
Mr. Kevin Hargaden (Maynooth, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This is the first Anne Rice book and honestly, I only bought it because its subject matter (Jesus) is of particular interest to me. Anne Rice novels would not be my bag, usually.

But this is a really very good novel. It does what a Rice novel ought to do- it sucks you in and gets you turning those pages. But it does so on the back of the most fascinating content you could hope for- the childhood of Jesus. It amazes me that we so rarely mine the New Testament for creative inspiration but maybe it will come back into vogue now.

It will give people, Christians and non-Christians, a grasp of the drama involved in the events of Christmas. Often people find the New Testament flat and boring- the ancient biography genre they are written in can seem remote and arid. Its a good thing then to read novels like this to get a sense of:

a) Just how plausible and coherent the whole thing is

b) Just how fascinating a story it really is

c) Just how relevant it can be for life lived today.

She explains herself really well in two post-scripts at the end and that would be a better jumping off point for interested readers than I could ever offer. If you are interested at all in ancient history, the origins of Christianity, the validity of Christianity or just good rip-roaring, easy to read tales, then I strongly recommend this.

2.0 out of 5 stars Worthy But Dull, 26 Jun 2008
John Crothers (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews

Unfortunately I found the narrative to be tedious in the extreme (the endless references to the whereabouts and well-being of baby Esther being just one example), the pace too slow and the characters to be either very thinly sketched or downright bizarre (Cleophas being the most obvious example). As the story wore on, it became increasingly difficult to summon up the enthusiasm to keep picking the book up again. I doubt very much that I will continue with the subsequent instalments as, no matter how worthy the subject matter, a book that doesn't inspire you to keep turning the page has failed in its basic function.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Brillant Novel from Anne Rice, 1 May 2007
M. Burton (Essex) - See all my reviews
Now religion isn't my favourite thing in fact when it comes to discussions of religion and the existance of God I get on my high horse and state my view.

So when it came to reading this book I was a bit dubious. A book about Jesus isn't exctly my ideal book.

But never judge a book by its cover.

Which I didn't and found that I loved this book so much. The plot gripped me so much I just couldn't put it down.

Everybody knows the story of Jesus and his birth and what he did in later life but not many people know the life in between. Which is exactly what this book shows. It shows Jesus as an innocent naive seven year old who knows nothing of who he really is. It also shows people not believing in the birth of Jesus Christ. It is very realistic and very cleverly written.

Another fabulous book by Anne Rice. A definite recommendation!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment, 29 April 2006
Lucia (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
I am a huge fan of Anne's work and have read everything even the Sleeping Beauty series!!! I was disappointed with this book, I was really looking forward to it but felt it didnt seem to have the depth of any of her other novels.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Astonishing Biography of Jesus the Child, 1 Jun 2007
Anna Abrahamyan "Annathens" (Belgium) - See all my reviews
Anne Rice's latest novel is a produce of her long, meticulous research. Its worthwile status as a possible classic is clearly earned due to an original style of staying on a balanced line beween divine and ordinary descrptions of the early years of Jesus.

Jesus is presented in a way as it most truly and probably was. Until today, the Mediterranean cultures, especially those of Aramaic and Assyrian origins, live in extended families and share the food and generations old stories in conditions of simple yet envious lifetime. And Anne Rice successfully transposes the traditional realities of the time in great detail - the everyday life of Jesus' family, the struggle the Jewish people were going through in their attempts to recreate their identity as a nation led by the wisest of kings, the respect for the female and male elderly in the family, even the food almost exotic (lamb garnished with figues).

A family's journey in the search of justice and peaceful life passes through series of advantures that seemingly are stamped forever in a child's memory. And his intelligent take of the changes happenning in all directions turns him into a most intelligent being. Thus, at the point where the known story begins, the one of Anne Rice ends, filling the gap of memory. A powerful read, I recommend this book to all those curious about history of religions.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stick with what you know, 10 Nov 2009
I feel somewhat disappointed, I have long since looked forwatrd to reading this, I have loved her previous work but this lacks her usual passion. I can't help but think that she should have stuck with vampires ghosts and the like. I certainly won't be reading the next one. If like me you love Rice's usual beautiful narrative and wonderfully inventive story lines then stay away from this book.

It is said that she did masses of research, but I don't feel this comes through here at all, especially if you compare it to books by the likes of Bernard Cornwell for example.

4.0 out of 5 stars Other materia, same quality, 12 Oct 2006
David Villalabeitia Sanche (Barcelona, Spain) - See all my reviews
First I was amazed about the completly change on the materia. (Only if you know about the books under Anner Rampling and A. Roquelaure it is less susrprising).

Christ life on his less known years (the childhood) if the new focus of Rice`s books and I really this first chapter of what I`m sure will be a complete collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spellbinding, 3 Aug 2006
Anne Rice's story, told in the first person, chronicles an unusual period in the life of Christianity's leading figure - the childhood of Jesus Christ from his exile in Alexandria and the first year of his return to Palestine. It is a brilliant and poignant story, made all the more moving by being told from the eyes of an extraordinary child.

Rice's author's note makes no bones about the fact that Jesus is the ultimate immortal and ultimate outside. But his experiences are totally different from that of her other creations, Lestat and the vampires. Rice clearly remains faithful to the version of events preserved in the pages of the Bible and the Apocrypha and, perhaps surprisingly, she manages to remain true to her sources whilst weaving a fantastic novel from them. She manages to create the entire atmosphere and feel of 1st century life, from the family's nomadic lifestyle to the fear of living under Roman occupation. Along the way, she includes a savage rebellion, a massacre in the temple, several visions, a sea voyage and a dark dream in which the young Jesus is questioned by the elusive Lucifer. Rice's characterisations are no less vivid, with the Virgin Mary remaining something of a mystery but her husband Joseph standing out as a particularly caring and genuine individual. Through it all, Rice manages to convey something of what it must be like to grow up gradually realising that one is divine without ever slipping into melodrama. A fascinating and page-turning account of the childhood of history's most famous man.

Christ The Lord: Out of Egypt (Christ the Lord 1)
Christ The Lord: Out of Egypt (Christ the Lord 1) by Anne Rice (Mass Market Paperback - 2 Nov 2006)
6.99