4.0 out of 5 stars Please Open Secrets
Published on 4 Feb 2003 by Lindsay Finnie

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
Rather disappointed in the stories - sometimes found them dull and nearly always confusing. She does write well but .................. won't be picking up another book by her in a hurry.
Published 8 months ago by Victoria Mackenzie

4.0 out of 5 stars Please Open Secrets, 4 Feb 2003
This review is from: Open Secrets (Paperback)
On the whole, I have to confess my annoyance at the short story; I find it amazingly difficult to immerse myself in the plot, where you know 20 pages later, you'll be met with a happily rounded- off story and little to mull over. So thank God for Open Secrets! In this, Alice Munro twists and pulls the short story genre until it is as unrecognisable as it is unpredictable- so very rereshing!
In Open Secrets the stories do not revolve around plot, allowing the reader to become connected through location, character relations and intrigue rather than linear events. For example, the title story centres on the small- town gossip of a local girl's murder, and while we don't ever find out the truth of events, a woman's intuition and the insight we get into small community life tells us more than we can articulate. For it is this that makes Munro's collection so marvellous- the fact that we can read a story and arrive at a feeling, rather than a conclusion, articulating not the truth, but feminine ideology and selfhood.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 23 Nov 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars still to re-read, 22 April 2014
This review is from: Open Secrets (Paperback)
So I don't have anything to add to this at this moment other than i'm looking forward to revisiting these stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Only One Munro, 12 April 2014
This review is from: Open Secrets (Paperback)
I read a great deal. I try to find authors I think I will respect and very often I'm bitterly disappointed therefore it was a pleasure to open another collection of stories by Alice Monroe. A couple of these have popped up in other collections but that isn't a problem, I reread her constantly. I get the feeling these are earlier, they're a little more bizarre, there are more changes of scene and time than usual but they're equally satisfying. A great writer - enough said.
Pedro.

3.0 out of 5 stars Really didn't wok for me, 7 Feb 2014
This review is from: Open Secrets (Paperback)
Lots of hype and I wanted to enjoy this book. I found it hard to read, at times confusing. Still, I got to the end!

4.0 out of 5 stars The amusing virgin, 6 Nov 2013
This review is from: Open Secrets (Paperback)
I read this book because I saw the author had won the Nobel Prize. I found it hard going at first,but this author does grow on one. My favourite is The Albanian Virgin. Munro favours rural types and however thorough the description they can be dull. Sometimes this had the feeling of a set book about which one would be expected to write essays. She sometimes describes people in too much detail. There is little humour and a lot of dour people. The Albanian Virgin is an exception, and is very clever and even great. I'm not sure whether to read more, but may do so.

5.0 out of 5 stars pleasure reader, 5 Jan 2013
Consumer A "ReaderAAA" (England. UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Open Secrets: Stories (Hardcover)
These stories are quite complex. There are 8 short stories in all and very varied. Regrets, yearnings, secrets, hopes and aspirations, the past, the future and adventure. Alice Munro is different in that after reading her work one often re-reads it and each story is memorable,

4.0 out of 5 stars Open Secrets, 1 Feb 2009
This review is from: Open Secrets (Paperback)
Wondefful evocation of old rural Canada. Strong characters, some stories humdrum others real gems both written 'eloquently'

2.0 out of 5 stars review re Open Secrets by Alice Munro, 27 Feb 2014
This review is from: Open Secrets (Paperback)
The book was described as being in good condition, but actually the front cover was damaged and that area covered with a removable white label.This does not give a good impression at all.

Open Secrets
Open Secrets by Alice Munro (Paperback - 9 Mar 1995)
6.29