5.0 out of 5 stars compelling.. poetic.. and honest
When I read this book I had to carry a pencil around with me to underline phrases and sentences, the odd turn of phrase. I never wanted it to end and I thought he was writing just for me, just to entertain me and to tell me a story. It comes across as intimate - the writing is so emotive and sentient.

To me, this is what travel writing, indeed writing, is all...
Published on 18 Aug 2006 by SWH

2.0 out of 5 stars The writing is good, but my goodness if the was your only ...
I have read several of Colin Thubron's books now, and he has quite the most relentlessly negative view about everyone and everything he encounters. The people he meets are presented either as miserable and hopeless; if they don't actually say this they are made out to be deluded fantasists. If a building is old and ruined this represents decay and neglect, if it is new...
Published 19 days ago by Ms Katalin M Svehla

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 18 July 2014
This review is from: The Lost Heart Of Asia (Paperback)
Glad to have my own copy!

3.0 out of 5 stars central asia, 5 Mar 2014
G. I. Forbes (edinburgh) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lost Heart of Asia (Hardcover)
Thi8s is the story of one mans journey through the 5 stans of central asia namely -Turkmenistan,Tajikistan,Uzbeckistan,Kazakhstan and Kirghizstanshortly after they became independant of tht USSR
I was interested in the book as I had made a similar journey but in the opposite direction.
The book can not be described as a travelogue as it is as much a history book and a reccord of interminable conversations as it is about the places the author visited.and too much of the book refers vto Uzbeckistan to the detriment of the other 4 stans.
What the book desperately needs are pictures -there are none as this part vof the world is most picturesque.
Not recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 17 Aug 2014
perfect

3.0 out of 5 stars Very dense and pretentios at times, 31 Jan 2007
Miss Hannah (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lost Heart Of Asia (Paperback)
There's no denying that Thubron is a wonderful writer; his language and the sense of place he creates is amazing - but i have to admit that i found this very hard work to get through. I found myself so busy trying to get through the depth of his language, that i couldn't follow what he was actually telling me; and had to re-read parts at least twice.

I'm sure it wasn't intentional, but he comes across a little pretentious in his story telling. I really wanted to enjoy this book, but afraid I was forced to give up - which i hardly ever do.

2.0 out of 5 stars A pitiful account of Central Asia, 2 July 2013
This review is from: The Lost Heart Of Asia (Paperback)
Having read Thubron's "The Lost heart of Asia" I am afraid I should not care to travel in the company of mr. Thubron. He seems the sort of companion who enjoys little else of his travels than complaing, belittling the people he meets and deprecating their demeanour. He gives a wistful account of the seemingly ruinous country-stans of Central Asia that left me wanting more of the history and culture of Central Asia, but with a rather unpleasant feeling of having intruded into the personal lives of his unfortunate hosts and guides. Some of his depictions where indeed so personal that I felt violated myself.

Rather than giving an account of Central Asia the book spoke volumes on Thubron's character and mind-set: a Dorothy-esque "There's no place like home". To a European he seems the sort of American tourist of the 90s whose visit would always leave you thinking "good riddance!".
His book is pitiful not only in the fact that his accounts of the "locals" evoke a sense of pity but also that they seem to be the target of his (not very well hidden) contempt caused by the supposedly smallmindedness of the people who invite him into their homes.

Thubron does, however, write beautifully. Buyer beware: This is a very personal travel account of the early 1990s that will offer little information on modern Central Asia. Thubron writes about the places he sees, but in most detail about the people he meets during his travels.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic cover illustrations, 22 Oct 2007
A. Weckmann (London) - See all my reviews
the new cover illustrations by Dorry Spikes (dotspikes.com) are so
beautiful! it's worth buying these books just for that.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a travel book, 5 April 2009
This review is from: The Lost Heart of Asia (Paperback)
The subject matter was very interesting and I learned a lot about the history and culture of the old Russian countries (the 'Stans'). However, to my mind it was not a travel book which entertains and informs; I found it quite hard work and only persevered because it was a book club book. The author also uses excess verbiage; not using one word when ten will do instead!

The Lost Heart Of Asia
The Lost Heart Of Asia by Colin Thubron (Paperback - 1 April 2004)
6.99