Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 4 August 2007
I first bought this book on a whim, after reading several of Murakami's other books about a year before. However after the long (but thoroughly satisfying) slog of 'Wind Up Bird', i was unsure how much i wanted to read another murakami and have my life taken over again by his magical writing style. Im glad i opened the door to him again however as this is one of his best.

In the usual vein of poetic, if sometimes meandering stories intertwined, this book makes great reading. Be prepared to lose yourself in the book, then be prepared to miss the characters long after the book has finished.

A Must read for murakami fans, a must read for modern literature fans and a must read for anyone who likes being enveloped and transported to a world similar but different from our own.
on 15 December 2014
Really compelling. Interesting merge of plots. Thoroughly enjoyed reading it.
on 18 August 2014
Wonderful, magical, lyrical. The prose is beautiful, the story enthralling.
on 8 March 2006
If 'The Wind Up Bird Chronicle' was the first of Murakami's novels that you read, it is difficult not to compare his other works to that masterpiece. Most have something interesting to offer, even his more sombre, melancholy works like 'Norwegian Wood'. I found myself unable to get more than half way through 'Kafka' before giving up, thinking to myself that it was all too familiar territory and not really caring what happened to the characters. It was almost as if an inferior writer was attempting a pastiche of his themes and style. I would point readers unfamiliar with his work to his earlier novels if they are wondering why this gifted writer has been lavished with praise.
on 13 April 2015
Love this book and it was in perfect condition when I received it.
on 3 July 2006
This is a great book, written in a fantastic style so typical for Mr. Murakami. The whole plot is excellent, with two stories of two different people whose path will cross at some point in their life. I found the idea about a man with a special skill of understanding cats, and a teenage boy, who is trying to find his self, just great. I couldn't wait to progress from one page to another. I am still surprised by sexual openess in Murakami's style in his books.
on 2 October 2014
Much shorter than IQ84 but just as pleasurable and fun to read!
on 5 May 2006
Really mind boggling, fun, clever and surreal. The characters are truly great. I loved this book, it is the best of the four books I have read from him (I read the others after having read this one first). But then again, after having lived in Japan for several years I can get inside the story and the characters easier than most readers.
on 23 June 2015
Loved this book and have now bought more of Murakami...
on 3 February 2015
My favorite book along to "Sputnik Sweetheart"