Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now

Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 August 2004
This book is fab. I couldn't put it down no matter how many family protest I got, "when's the tea ready", or "aren't we going out today". Even though it races between to different times, the 1950's and present day, it doesn't loose you by trying to be too clever. I loved the charactors even the one's where there was not too much to like. I was gutted when I finished it as I hadn't enjoyed a read like that for ages. Well done to the authors!!!!!
on 24 July 2004
On picking up this book, I assumed it would be quite a light hearted easy going read, which was what I was looking for. So I was surprised to find that it was not only that, but a very deep, engrossing story.

The story is based around a family living in a small village in the 1950's, and with each chapter it goes to and from then and the present day. You find out different aspects of the family's life from both sides of the story, and I found myself rushing through each chapter just so I could get to the next one.
With each chapter you get a deeper look into the secrets hidden by the past, which in turn shows the main characters to be more real and complex than imagined.
The story is both happy and sad, and you really feel for the characters with the things they are going through. With so many twists and blows its hard to imagine that this can all happen within one story, but it does and it works.
I really loved this book, and am very glad that it turned out to be alot more than I had expected. I would recommend it to anyone.
on 23 December 2011
I read We Are Family for some light-hearted escapism, but instead found myself engrossed by a story that flits back and forth between present day and a village in the 1950s. Overall, the story is about the secrets that families keep, the skeletons in the closet, but the way that the two Rees draw out the mysteries is very fresh and engaging. I loved the characters - and I think I found myself longing to get back to the tale from the 1950s more than that in present-day Majorca (although both strands of the tale were very entertaining).

The characters were very strong, and I believe that both female and male are strong because we have a dual-sex writing team. It makes for realistic motives and reasoning from all the characters, which helps to engage the reader.

The ending was a little too neat for my liking, but that doesn't detract from what was an exceptionally compelling read.
on 4 May 2004
This really blew my mind. I was expecting a moving, funny story from these two. But this is that and lots more as well. It is half set now and half set in the 1950s and tells the different love stories of the members of one family. I totally fell in love with the characters...especially Rachel and Tony. I dont want ot give it away but the ending is amazing and will take your breath away and I defy anyone not to read the last hundred pages of the book in one sitting. Its that exciting!
on 14 August 2005
I thouroughly enjoyed reading this book. I like the way it is written, split into the 1950's part of the familys story and the modern part of it, but both are written alongside each other so the stories are revealed together. Very cleverly written.
The plotline in the '50's is the best part, a very convincing romance and keeps you guessing on the full story. I really liked the characters in this half of the story. I really wanted to know what happened to them and this part of the story compelled me to read on.
The modern plotline was less convincing and I found it difficult to agree with the behaviour of the characters, they were less likeable. This part of the story was less beleivable and lost my interest at some parts.
I really wanted to learn more about the lives of the characters in between the two settings as I liked the earlier characters so much more and they had changed a lot by the later storyline. Overall a great and compelling read, the fantastic '50's story more than makes up for the slightly dull modern part.
on 16 March 2012
Absolutely fabulous book! I love these authors.. Every book of theirs that I have read has been fantastic. Books that you can not put down and once the book comes to an end you are disappointed!
on 7 December 2007
This is by far the best book I have ever read, I have read all of the other books by the authors, but this one had me totally gripped, I couldn't put it down and didn't want it to end - keep up the fantastic writing Lloyd and Rees.
on 26 June 2006
I've read most of the books written by these authors, but don't feel that this was their best. The story jumped between the past and present, and at times it did get slightly confusing over who was who and what was happening where.

I was also a bit disappointed with the ending, as everything seemed to come together just a little bit too neatly. I think it should have been drawn out a bit more to make it more realistic.

But this book is well worth reading, and I did enjoy the story.
on 12 June 2006
Flashing between past and present, this is the story of three generations of a family torn apart by both prejudice and natural disaster.

The love, lies and tragedy that make up the fabric of this family make for a moving, captivating, and (surprisingly) a relatively `light' read. I loved it.
on 11 August 2005
I am still reading this book but have to say how fantastic it is. Lloyd & Rees write brilliantly together, He knows the male mind so well and she knows us girls to a t!
This book is great and i highly recommend it