Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 August 2015
This book, for the most part, is genius and expertly paced with memorable characters, a compelling and original plot and laughs aplenty. I just think it loses a lot of steam towards the end and the pacing throughout is infrequently disjointed. HOWEVER, this is still an intriguing and witty novel which I very much enjoyed.
on 11 January 2016
was bought as a present
on 29 September 2015
very pleased with item
VINE VOICEon 10 February 2014
A very humorously written story about the very darkest of events, the attempt by history student Michael Young and scientist Professor Leo Zuckermann, to change history by ensuring that Hitler was never born. Of course, things go wrong and in the alternate world an equally ghastly turn of events has taken place, surrounding an alternative and more rational and successful Nazi Leader, Gloder. It all comes right in the end and history is set back on its proper course. The central characters are believable and likeable. My only criticism would be that it does drag a little in places and perhaps takes too long to get really started. Also, it wasn't clear why some sections were written in film script rather than normal prose. A good read overall, though.
on 30 March 2011
I cannot imagine that anyone but the delectable Stephen Fry could pull an idea like Making History into a fully formed novel; with believable characters, with such an authentic storyline, so that it was sooooooo hard to pop my book mark in and turn the light off each night.

Stephen Fry I bow down to you, you are truly and effortlessly a big, bold, bleeding, brilliant, boffin of a writer, that it would appear you can make manifest any subject or idea into a wonderfully, whimsical, world wind of a book, that I loved, loved, loved.
on 23 May 2014
To put it simply, I did not enjoy this novel. The many and tiresome references to a "brave new world", quite obviously suggested by the title, lessen the effect of a novel which had potential. The mixture of forms - drama and prose - delivers a varied pace which, in a novel this long, is pleasant respite. Fry's expected sparky style is absent outside of the first 100 pages.
on 14 January 2016
Bought as gift
on 21 January 2008
A most enjoyable book from a man who is a guiding light in media. Cleverly written. An absolute joy.
on 27 October 2014
Not one for me... found it impossible to get into reading (for my organisation's book club)... pity, I love Stephen Fry (on TV) but clearly not his style of writing as I had a similar experience reading one of his auto biogs (which I downloaded initially thinking that was the book we were meant to be reading).
on 5 January 2011
Stephen Fry never fails to amuse and astound his readers and this novel is no exception. This story, his only science fiction work, offers a unique insight into the past and what it might have been like if things had been different. Fry excels himself with his classy wit and original plot, to create a work of pure genius. Unmissable.