4.0 out of 5 stars Fry's usual surrealism in a country setting
I can only describe the twists and turns that this book takes as shocking. Not hit you in the face shocking, but enough to make me hitch my breath as I travelled out of London on the train.

Fry is simply delicious in his writing style - clever, sharp and descriptive only to the point of necessity.

Not as outlandish and fiesty as the Star's Tennis...
Published on 13 Mar 2007 by Geraldine Powell

3.0 out of 5 stars Yeah! - Just OK!
Reads a bit like a Micky Spillane novel - thought it might have been a bit "deeper" from someone with the brain power of Stephen Fry!
Published 18 months ago by R. H. Clements

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant read, 17 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Hippopotamus (Kindle Edition)
Its cleverly written, very descriptive and delightfully self -deprecating of Mr Fry himself. Recommended to anyone who enjoys Stephen Fry.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent read..., 18 Sep 2011
This review is from: The Hippopotamus (Paperback)
i foundn this book really enjoyable. the story is about a journalist whose best friend's young lad thinks he's the next mesiah. the journalist has been tasked to find out if this lad is in fact a new messiah or a hoax. a really great read and fry at his best - i highly reccomend this...

5.0 out of 5 stars 100% fantastically funny, frolicsome Fry, 30 Mar 2011
Mrs. R. Burnett "R. Burnett" (Glastonbury) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Hippopotamus (Paperback)
The Hippopotamus is so amazing. I loved the book's premise and being a Glastonbury resident I adored this subject matter being addressed in a rational way and it harked back to Victorian charlatans, but addressed the subject in such a fantastically funny way.

The main protagonist; Ted Wallace what can I say - I shouldn't love him, but really I couldn't help but to fall totally and completely in love with this character. He is so rude, incredibly miserable, but still intensely adorably bad, in a very good way. Laugh, seriously I really haven't laughed so much in ages. Stephen Fry never fails to not just tickle, but to assault my funny bone. Seriously read it, love it and you won't put it down until Stephen Fry, via the loveable Ted Wallace tackles you into comedy submission.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good holiday read, 8 Feb 2011
This review is from: The Hippopotamus (Paperback)
Beautiful use of language and syntax as always by Mr Fry. Very funny and rather rude, this isn't a particularly "deep" book that makes you think, but an enjoyable caper perfect for reading by the pool. And for the low prices sellers here will offer, it is most definitely worth it!

5.0 out of 5 stars filthy fun, 8 Feb 2011
M. Stubley Marc (france) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Hippopotamus (Audio CD)
Excellent product quality, well packaged. One of my favourite ever books and this full cd version is perfect. Stephen Fry is a naughty boy to come up with all this weird stuff in one book, never since the godfather has a " horse " scene been more cringeworthy. Fast paced, intense story. Along with the liar this is Mr Fry's best work.

5.0 out of 5 stars An unexpected pleasure, 26 Jan 2011
Mrs. Y. M. Mariess "Yazzphoto" (channel islands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Hippopotamus (Paperback)
I had no idea what to expect as I tried my first Stephen Fry novel. A few sharp intakes of breath, as I was reading such *unexpected* pleasures!

My, oh my! When quizzed by my husband, I tried to outline the story, and it sounded so tawdry and nasty. But it's definitely in 'The way they tell 'em'.

And, by golly, Stephen has a way with the telling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book, 29 Feb 2000
This review is from: The Hippopotamus (Paperback)
I think this book has it all really...it is funny, sexy as well as having a brillaint story line too...well worth a read.

2.0 out of 5 stars over rated, over blown and over indulgent, 12 July 2011
This review is from: The Hippopotamus (Paperback)
I enjoy Stephen Fry's work on stage and screen and find him a witty, wise and thoroughly entertaining individual.

Sadly for me this novel is not so much hippo as hog wash.
Maybe I was expecting too much, so I should start again and say if you like an Alice in Wonderland sexed up fairy tale in a county house then this one is for you. Utter nonsense, but without enough absurdity to take it to any level other than the mundane.

God knows I am no author, but I would be ashamed to write something as vapid as this if I had half the brain of Mr Fry.

That said there were some very witty one liners, and I did read it to the end, but wouldn't recommend it I'm afraid. Sorry.
P.S. I love QI

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly enjoyable, 3 Aug 2011
Eirin Mikalsen Orum "avid reader" (Trondheim, Norway) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Hippopotamus (Paperback)
I love Stephen Fry's vocabulary and the way he constructs sentences, there's a playfulness there couple with great knowledge and skill that greatly pleases the language-lover in me. While reading "The Hippopotamus" I found myself marvelling at sentence structures and extraordinary descriptions, and I laughed out loud several times in addition to all the sniggers. Fry is wonderfully un-PC, never hesitating to divulge the obscene and downright dirty, but always doing it with a twinkle in the eye.

The protagonist is disgustingly loveable, and most of the other characters are quite interesting, too. I appreciate the way Fry presents all the flaws of the characters without taking away from their better qualities. And the way he turns the table on the brothers in the end underlines the duality of human nature.

The plot is almost simple, but the theme is quite intriguing to think about even (especially?) after finishing the reading. Readers with strong convictions on one or the other side of this issue might find themselves provoked or even insulted by the developments, but for someone who has questioned her way away from every faith without denying the possibility of something beyond comprehension, the conclusion our protagonist reached was satisfying and easy to live with.

All in all, "The Hippopotamus" conveys beautiful language, intelligence, wicked humour, interesting characters and a theme that keeps you thinking after you put the book down. What more could you ask for?

3.0 out of 5 stars Typical unusual Fry!!!, 15 Nov 2011
This review is from: The Hippopotamus (Paperback)
Really love Stephen Fry on the box interesting, intelligenat and innate so I thought it was about time I picked up one of his novels to give a go!! The actual storyline/plot was not what I expected but the style of writing and the classic humour of a "toff" was hillarious at times and very believable! The main bulk of the text is in letter writing form although at times these letters are so long you forget that its being written to someone which was a bit distracting. Its the kind of story that all works out well in the end for the main witty character Ted Wallace.May need to read another novel to get the full experience of reading Fry?!?

The Hippopotamus
The Hippopotamus by Stephen Fry (Paperback - 5 Aug 2004)
5.59