5.0 out of 5 stars First Class explanation for children of all ages.....
Published on 29 Mar. 2006 by Mrs. Sjdalton

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice story for really small children.
Beautifully illustrated, funny and sweet. However, not very informative. Ideal for toddlers with siblings on the way or slightly older children asking vague questions. Not a 'facts of life' book though. Bought for my 8 year old and read to my 5 year old instead.

Published on 19 Oct. 2012 by Gingham Ribbon

5.0 out of 5 stars First Class explanation for children of all ages....., 29 Mar. 2006
This review is from: Where Willy Went (Paperback)
I really struggled with my children's constant questions about where babies come from - because although I want to shelter them from most things I felt that this was a subject they should grow up with knowing what a lovely natural step it is in life rather than becoming a sordid joke in the school playground...this book addresses absolutely everything I wanted it to in such a great way. My children 6 and 4 read it and said 'Oh ! is that what you did mummy ?' and that was the end of the questions.....after all those sleepless nights of wondering what to say !!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful!, 7 Aug. 2010
Amazon Customer "LS" (Stratford-upon-Avon, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Where Willy Went (Paperback)
Not believing in lying to kids but wanting to make sure innocence is still preserved, I panicked a bit when my 5 year old started asking questions and was unsure how to tackle the subject, what words to use and how much detail to get into - as well as finding the correct illustrations to help! This book ticked all the boxes! Better still - he seemed satisfied with the "story" and did not go around telling all his friends "gory details" and thereby landing me in awkward situations with other parents!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Book Review, 14 Sept. 2009
This review is from: Where Willy Went (Paperback)
This is a fantastic book - just right for my 6 year old to answer the questions he was asking in a fun but accurate way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great child friendly book!!!!, 6 July 2008
This review is from: Where Willy Went (Paperback)
I bought this for my 4 year old boy. After having his baby brother and with alot of friends having babies the 'mummys tummy' answer was no longer working. This book was just the trick it is funny even for me and provides a perfect explanation which is honest but still child friendly. I love this book!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great way to tell kids where babies come from, 6 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Where Willy Went (Paperback)
My little girl who's five had started asking things like, 'Where did I come from' and 'Where was I before I existed'. So I began explaining in my own way about how babies are made - just starting out with the sperm and egg part. Thankfully, she didn't ask at that point how the sperm got the the egg! So I decided it might be time to let someone else explain that in a well thought out manner. Having read all the positive reviews of Where Willy Went, I opted for this and am so glad I did. It is such a sweet story, explained in such a clear, innocent manner (with the sex part alluded to but in a way that allows a parent to give as much or as little added information as they feel appropriate). My only slight quibble with the book (and this is being very pedantic - but is something that my daughter raised) is that it poses the question (after the little girl is born and grows up) where did Willy go? Nobody knows, it says (but goes on to say that, like Willy, the little girl is good at swimming) - this makes it a bit confusing if you're trying to make a child understand that a sperm and egg make up a person. In fact, my daughter said that surely Willy became the little girl. So she got it, but only because I'd previously explained how babies are made, not because of the book making it clear. Other than that though, this is a fantastic little book with great illustrations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant - bought for 7 year old, fun and extremely helpful!, 15 May 2012
This review is from: Where Willy Went (Paperback)
I really didn't know how to address my 7 year old daughters questions and I really wish I would have just told her when she was ALOT younger. I had told her how the baby comes out of my belly when she was about 4 years old because she had asked and that was the end of that but I think because I had waited so long with these questions it all got a bit awkward and embarrassing. I bought Hair In Funny Places, Where Willy Went and Mummy Laid An Egg and she read them in that order. We all sat down, me, her daddy and her 15 year old sister and she read the books aloud and giggled and laughed and looked confused all the way through. She then asked tons of questions and we went through the books again and that was that.

I honestly don't know how I would have done it without these books, she's asked for further books as she still doesn't understand how the baby grows from nothing and where the baby gets it 'bones and hair' from so she is still a bit confused but loves reading the books as she said that she has learned so much. 5 stars! ---> *****

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Brilliant, 20 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Where Willy Went (Paperback)
This book is a rare example of an honest, factual account of reproduction without going into uneccesary detail presented in a child-friendly manner. The book tells the reader that sperm comes out of the man's body and goes into the woman's body when they join together to make a baby. It shows the sperm come from the testes and the egg from the woman's tummy. There is no mention of the physical act of sex other than the couple are in a bed together; this is not a necessary part of the answer to 'where do babies come from?' for a small child.

I was also very impressed that the couple are Mr and Mrs - another reviewer was not happy about this and thought there was another way to show that sex happened in a stable relationship. I disagree, I accept that my children may not marry before they have children but I intend to teach them that babies should be born in a permanent stable relationship that and marriage is just that; I cannot personally think of another way the author could have described that in a manner that small children would understand without some kind of adult level discussion of relationships.

My husband and I have always tried to be as open and honest as age-appropriate with our children whilst preserving their innocent and childhood as much as we could. Our daughter is nearly 7 and our son is 9 and I think this book does this perfectly.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice story for really small children., 19 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Where Willy Went (Paperback)

All the same, really lovely little story and fun to read together with little ones and for that it does an excellent job.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great way to explain the facts of life to small children, 10 Oct. 2007
Mrs. E. J. Lister (Shipley, West Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Where Willy Went (Paperback)
This book is fabulous! My 5 year old started to ask about where babies come from last year when I was pregnant with his baby sister; at that time he was happy with a quick "from mummy's tummy". As more and more mum's at school are having babies he has started to ask again and I felt that I needed something simple and none threatening to help him understand. This book is just the ticket. It is written in language they understand and it is funny. I would definatly recommend this book to anyone struggling with the best way to tell their child the facts of life without scaring them half to death!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for all parents who want to begin talking to their children about the facts of life., 3 April 2009
This review is from: Where Willy Went (Paperback)
A must for all parents who want to begin talking to their children about the facts of life. Brilliantly written in a fun way that children will love and understand. For parents, you have the piece of mind that the book gives your child enough information they need but still maintains their innocence. My son is 8yrs old and we gave him this book to read now at this stage in his growing up because he could confidentally read himself. Definately rate this book 10 out of 10 its an excellent read for both parents and children.

Where Willy Went
Where Willy Went by Nicholas Allan (Paperback - 2 Feb. 2006)