4.0 out of 5 stars Truly gripping stuff, a great read.
Having read most of the financial thrillers including Liars Poker, F.I.A.S.C.O, When Genuis Failed, and Rogue Trader i was captivated by this story, and read the whole thing non stop in about 5 hours!
Published on 7 May 2004 by Mr I Soo

2.0 out of 5 stars Finance for teenagers
Published on 27 Nov. 2011 by Miks

4.0 out of 5 stars Truly gripping stuff, a great read., 7 May 2004
Mr I Soo (Glos England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ugly Americans (Hardcover)
Imaginatively written with technical terms clearly explained it is a must read for anyone interested in both finanical markets and individual traders state of mind and mentality. A textbook and thrilling novel mixed into one!

4.0 out of 5 stars An entertaining read, 30 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Ugly Americans (Paperback)
This is a pretty entertaining read accessible to anyone regardless of profession. There are very few references to finance that require any knowledge of the industry. You will not find any 'golden nuggets' here. Simple Index re-balancing trades and geographical arbitrage are pretty much the big trades of the book. The best part is the ambiance and the picture the book paints of the local culture in Asia and how that compares to the equivalent in the west - this for better or for worse has not changed much. One has to only look at the recent Mizuho bank scandal where they loaned money to the Yakuzza to see that. While it has parts to it that seem a little far fetched...makes a for a very entertaining fast paced book. Worth a read...and I hear there is a film in the making.

2.0 out of 5 stars Finance for teenagers, 27 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Ugly Americans (Paperback)
I loved his first book, Bringing down the house, when I read it. After having read Ugly Americans I am afraid to re-read that book because this plot is really terrible. Ugly Americans are not only poorly written, as pointed out by other reviewers. What annoys me the most is the total lack of insight in financial and economical matters. The author seems do have done no research himself, just listened to some bragging stories and taken everything at face value (as it is supposed to be a true story).

3.0 out of 5 stars Read this before?, 22 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Ugly Americans (Paperback)
Cinderella story - Ivy league boy makes good in a non too straight environment - falls in love - lives happily ever after.

I've read 3 by this author and all very similar in plot.

On the plus side I enjoyed this but only because I was around on SIMEX when it all unfolded and "BASED on a true story" should be noted before reading.

A nice read to kill a few hours and he does recreate the atmosphere of the 90's Asian exchange well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Disturbing, 23 Jun. 2014
Ag siúl (Galway, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ugly Americans (Kindle Edition)
We know all of this behaviour happens. We've heard all about it in films such as Inside Job & Wolf of Wall Street. I have also worked in Japan and we did hear about some of this behaviour but this was really disturbing. It is definitely worth the read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok read, 7 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Ugly Americans (Kindle Edition)
A little slower than his other books, similar concept. Fine easy going read, just left you wanting a little more substance.

2.0 out of 5 stars Weak book, 20 July 2005
This review is from: Ugly Americans (Paperback)
The plot is distinctly thin, although nonetheless gripping. The trouble is, Mezrich just isn't a very good writer. He stretches out this book with the most cliched and redundant descriptive passages and the dialogue he includes is total cheese and I don't believe that the people he's describing really talk like that. If they do then they're really not worth glamourising. Also endless references to various characters Ivy League credentials wears thin quickly.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ferrari in Bermuda?, 10 Jun. 2008
Mr. A. J. Lea - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ugly Americans (Paperback)
This 'true' story fell down immediately for me when he describes the hedge fund trader based in Bermuda who has a ferrari.

Bermuda, an Island with a speed limit of 25mph, and restrictions on engine size as well as overall car size resulting in the fact there are no Ferraris in Bermuda.

Why make this up?

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Story, 4 Jan. 2013
I. Gambardella "G30" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ugly Americans (Paperback)
I have now read several Ben Mezrich novels and all are very entertaining.
This is no different and the story line grips you, not the longest book for perfect for a holiday!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, same story, 31 May 2006
This review is from: Ugly Americans (Paperback)
Having read "Bringing Down the House" I was quite excited to read "Ugly Americans" and I was a bit disappointed mainly because it is pretty much the same format. Ok, it's a different topic, but deep inside it has the same story. And I have to say it is not as fast paced as I thought. However, it gave me a good insight into the financial business, its life style and Japanese culture. The thing I like from Mezrich's books is that you end up thinking that the stories really happened (which although the author says it's a true story I certainly doubt that it happened). All in all and ok book, that will entertain you and won't take you too long to finish it.

Ugly Americans
Ugly Americans by Ben Mezrich (Paperback - 7 July 2005)