5.0 out of 5 stars A great story!
I loved this book, and I didnt really expect too because it looked too dry; a biograpy of Emma Hamilton! But I picked it up and just could not put it down. Its hard to believe this is the first book by the author, it feels like the well polished work of an aged academic. However it is evident that Kate Williams has done her research and reading.

This book is so...
Published on 29 Jun. 2007 by SJ SMART

3.0 out of 5 stars A great read - but Kindle edition lacks illustrations
I must confess I knew absolutely nothing about Emma Hamilton (other than that she existed) before starting this book, so I cannot compare it in terms of depth or accuracy to any other accounts of her life. All I can say is that it is a fascinating page-turner and a shocking reminder of the total lack of status of women at that time.

A major snag with the Kindle...
Published 22 months ago by Tealady2000

5.0 out of 5 stars A great story!, 29 Jun. 2007
SJ SMART "Smartie" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: England's Mistress: The Infamous Life of Emma Hamilton (Paperback)

This book is so well written that it reads like a novel but unlike one you are just absorbing so much history and gaining a real insight, not just in to Emma's life but in the 18th century. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys good history books in general and/or is interested in the Napoleonic period. The Nelson society give it a very good review as do I. Needs 10 stars really!

5.0 out of 5 stars move over Nelson, 29 Aug. 2007
Mrs. C. Hall "chris" (UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this book for my husband who is a Nelson fan; I did not intend to read it at all, but once picked up I could not put it down. Emma is the most exciting real life heroine,she pulls herself up from the gutter yet remains true to herself.
I have not yet read the final chapters as I know she does not finish well, I am enjoying her glory while it lasts.

5.0 out of 5 stars England's Mistress: The Infamous Life of Emma Hamilton, 17 Jun. 2010
John Mullings "Paperback reader" (Cardiff, Wales) - See all my reviews
Kate Williams is an incredible author. I wanted to learn as much as I possibly could about Emma Hamilton having heard of her but not knowing the background to her life. The amount of detail Kate Williams includes in the narrative shows just how much research she has put into her subject. She not only knows the minutest nuggets of information about the entire life of her heroine, she appears almost to actually live Emma's life. I have found this book to be absolutely enthralling and, having previously read, and learned a great deal from Kate's book about the young Queen Victoria - Becoming Queen - I look forward eagerly to more such offerings. I cannot recommend these books highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put this book down!, 17 Nov. 2006
This book is an absolute work of art. For a week I have been the most anti social person and have been hidden behind the cover of this most interesting and well written book. Not only does it provide a rich social history of the 18th Century but it is a well researched commentary of the life of Emma Hamilton. I would highly recommend this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars The paparazzi seem to have been around a long time!, 29 Mar. 2010
Bluenose Girl (London, England) - See all my reviews
This book was fascinating. Seeing how not much has changed after over 200 years with the paparazzi, "celebrity", gossip and fascination with the rich.

It was interesting to learn Emma's effect on fashion, as well as her talent in PR. She was a smart shrewed woman who made the most of every opportunity when there were few options for women at the time. Which is why her outcome is all the more shocking.

5.0 out of 5 stars social climbing, 15 Nov. 2011
M. Baerends - See all my reviews
Forget about newspaperboy to millionaire, that's just a boring American idea. Emma Hart, later to become Emma, Lady Hamilton made it all the way from hopeless child prostitute in late 18th century London to prestigious ambassador's wife in Naples, then switching to become mistress of the most admired admiral of the time and valued member of the jetset around the Prince of Wales.

This book really seems to have it all. I think it is good history, and an incredible story well told.

The story follows Emma making her way to London from her poor miners' village, still a child almost and predictably ending up in prostitution, then gradually upgrading to 'higher-up' clients and becoming a mistress to one of them. When discarded as mistress to this gentleman she is lucky to be passed on to Hamilton, the elderly British ambassador in Naples, earns her respectability there by marrying him and generally shining in society (even making friends with Queen Maria Carolina) and of course, eventually meets and cordially greets the heroic Nelson.
The tragic part really starts after his death, when Emma's rise is gradually reversed as she drowns in debt.

Again, Williams' writing is great, she really brings Emma as well as others (Nelson, Hamilton, various characters in the jetset of the day) alive. A compelling read!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Part of My History, 15 Jan. 2013
Ms. J. E. Davis "Jane" (Surrey) - See all my reviews
This biography felt very personal to me. Brought up in Merton, our childhood war-wounds were tended at the Nelson hospital's A & E department (no longer there) and my local pub was called the Emma Hamilton (now boarded up). My partner was born near Emma Hamilton's birthplace on the Wirral and he spend two years in Italy. Yes, I knew a little of the history, but the characters were two-dimensional. Whilst I agree with other reviewers that there is speculation at the beginning of the book, so few facts of Emma's early life are known (or have been deliberately concealed). I don't think it was unreasonable for the author to make the point that the odds against Emma's surviving childhood, let alone rising above the ranks of a London prostitute, were extraordinary. For those who know little 18th Century history the background information is essential to understanding Emma's strength and determination. Make no mistake: Emma kicked arse.

3.0 out of 5 stars A great read - but Kindle edition lacks illustrations, 21 July 2013
Tealady2000 (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)

A major snag with the Kindle edition is that there are no illustrations - even though there is a list of illustrations in the contents at the front - and this made me feel cheated. The story stands by itself without the illustrations but nowhere in the description of the Kindle edition does it say that you won't be getting the pictures. So beware if you are getting the Kindle version.

1.0 out of 5 stars Judging by 21st century norms, 18 May 2011
Whoa. I admit to finding it a page turner but every 10 pages I was arrested by a large unsubstantiated assumption, by a gross ignorance especially in relation to hunting, or by judgments, using wholly 21st century norms, upon actions of people who lived nearly 250 years ago.

Additionally in a reversal of supposed patterns - men are judged frequently - women never. Most unbalanced.

It is a work of fiction not biography. I should have recognised this from the image on the cover of the paperback edition I held in my hand.

5.0 out of 5 stars Biography of Emma Hamilton, 7 Mar. 2011
Kate Williams' biography of Emma Hamilton is a very readable portrait of one of England's most celebrated women. You don't have to approve of Emma to become immersed into Williams' interpretation of the way Georgian women were treated. It is almost impossible to imagine how a lowly born beautiful girl could become a titled lady, capturing the hearts of William Hamilton and Admiral Nelson in an age when women were considered as chattels. Kate Williams' has thoroughly researched her subject and pays attention to minute details, yet keeps this biography racey and modern. I very much enjoyed reading the book and recommend it to all readers of biography and history.

England's Mistress: The Infamous Life of Emma Hamilton
England's Mistress: The Infamous Life of Emma Hamilton by Kate Williams (Paperback - 7 Jun. 2007)