5.0 out of 5 stars Forget your preconceptions...
I don't review often on Amazon, but I had to make some comment on this book - because I think there's every chance a superb novel will get overlooked because of who its author is...
I confess, my hopes weren't high either (it was an impulse purchase as part of one of my regular book-splurges). A book by a guy from the great American pantomime of professional...
Published on 30 Aug 2004 by Stuart Bishop

2.0 out of 5 stars Lumpy and unconvincing
I found the premise of this book interesting an although it was in no way boring (there were certainly enough statement events in the plot to keep you interested) I just couldn't enjoy this clumpy book.
Published 13 months ago by A.Lewis

5.0 out of 5 stars Defending Mick Foley, 3 Jan 2007
Elspeth Richardson "Social Reader" (New Zealand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tietam Brown (Paperback)
I don't usually write book reviews, but I do like to read them AFTER having read a book, to see if I agree with the critics. Having read a few on this book, I just felt the need to defend Mick Foley and his writings, incase any innocent readers were swayed by their unfavourable reviews. Indeed, all the reviews by actual READERS have been favourable, and I feel this is more important that the 'critics'.

The critics have concentrated on the violence and sexual references in this book, to which I wish to say 'pah'. Sure there's some violence and some sex but nothing that battered my eyelids. Perhaps I'm just becoming numbed to all that kind of stuff, and I wouldn't expect my mum and dad to find this a 'good read', but it's hardly breaking boundaries of social acceptability.

The book itself was a damn good read and I read it in under a week. I felt attached the the characters and was sorry when the book ended. To me, that's a GOOD BOOK.

5.0 out of 5 stars Teitam Brown made me Cry, 27 July 2003
This review is from: Tietam Brown (Paperback)
Well this is not easy for read blooded male to say but this book moved me. I did actually cry whilst reading it, and I am reading it again to make sure I didn't miss anything. Mick Foley is a Wonderful Author Who can use Humour in even the Darkest of Story lines. I was not sure what this book was going to be like, His Autobiographical books where fantastic, but could he make the transition into Novel writing. The overwhelming answer is YES. This book tells the Story of ANTIETAM BROWN IV A.K.A. ANDY,who's his childhood will make anyone seem privilaged, Mick uses Terms and expressions that readers of his first two books will apreaciate.
Tietem Brown is not unlike Mick himself even down to the Missing Ear and some of this novel is pure Foley.
This book will make you Laugh, Sick in the stomach, Laugh, Proud,laugh, Cry and Laugh.
'Foley Is Good' and this Book Proves it!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Foley's first novel is Good, 27 Sep 2003
This review is from: Tietam Brown (Paperback)
Well done to Mick Foley on making his first novel, seem like his 10th. This is a story that will lift you up and drop you, just as fast. For the main character, Antietam Brown V, things either go reasonably right or horribley wrong. You will find it hard to put this book down as you learn of his father and his sick and bizarre habits. You will be as enthusiastic as Antietam as he unravels the past and learns the truth about his parents. You will root for him against the bullying football coach and his steriod pumped team. Ultimately, you will care what happens in this story and maybe, shed a tear at the end.
Like I said, it's hard to believe this is a first novel, Foley makes it seem like it was his full time career forever, never mind his hugely successful wrestling career.

5.0 out of 5 stars A NEW FACE TO MICK FOLEY ( AND A GOOD ONE AT THAT!), 22 Mar 2004
This review is from: Tietam Brown (Hardcover)
This book reveals to all that wrestlers do have brains and that Mick foley has the potential to be one of the greatest novelists to date. this book is a must read for any book fan , not just wrestling fans. It is a dark book about a boys life and to be honest it very emotional. but Mick foleys humer and wit is apperrent through out with a few wrestling mentions. I do not want to give away to much of this book as it will ruin it for many but i guarentee you this is one hard hitting book that you will not be able to put down once you start (beleive me i tried!)Go ahead and read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Is Great!, 21 Jan 2004
This review is from: Tietam Brown (Hardcover)
Absoultely amazing first novel by Mick Foley. As a fan of both wrestling and Mick, I got this book for Christmas, and had it read by 1 am Boxing Day morning. It is an emotional rollercoaster, taking the reader through many twists and turns, and bringing many false endings in before it is through. And for those that are interested in wrestling, there are even a few knowing references, such as JR, the cowboy hat wearing owner of a restaurant. Excellent!

5.0 out of 5 stars Foley really is a god!, 7 Jan 2004
This review is from: Tietam Brown (Hardcover)
As stated by many others, I too was very eager to witness Foley's transition from autobiographer to novelist. And what a transition it was!
Throughtout 'Tietam Brown', Foley takes the reader on a journey of their emotions as the protagonist, Andy, developes his first true relationships. Unfortuantely, as with life, the conclusion is not particularly happy although a glimmer of hope shines through.
Awesome!

4.0 out of 5 stars HAVE A NICE DAY!, 3 April 2014
David (Dumbarton, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tietam Brown (Kindle Edition)
I picked this book up immediately after hearing about it. I was a huge fan of Foley during The Attitude Era at WWF/WWE but I had no idea he was also a writer, and a good one at that!

Even although the main character Andy has been through some of the most horrific and traumatizing experiences you could possibly imagine, I still found myself relating to him and really investing in him till the very end.

Foley has proven that he's just as good with the pen as he was with his mighty elbow.

Buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, but superb nontheless, 12 Feb 2014
Gary Coupe (Nottingham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tietam Brown (Paperback)
I'm not really much of a reader of fiction, and usually prefer autobiographical works, which is how I came upon the title of this book.

Having read all four autobiographical volumes by Mick Foley, I was curious enough about the references to 'Tietam Brown' to warrant my reading of a few reviews, and having spotted it for a reasonable price on the Kindle store, decided to give it a try.

Anyone who has read his 'wrestling books' will recognise the style immediately, especially the humour, and it is obvious that Foley has drawn on several references from his own life in terms the places mentioned in the story. Andy Browns character seems to reflect some of Foley's own growing pains through adolescence too. There is certainly enough that will be familiar for those wrestling fans who are interested in Foley's debut novel.

Whilst some have called the characters shallow, I think this is more to do with how quickly the story 'gets into its stride' - it is remarkably easy to understand why each character does what they do. The plot requires the use of your memory in parts, with the narrative switching from past to present, but doing this seems apt, and gives the feeling that you are listening to the memoirs of Andy, rather than simply being told about him and his life so far.

There are parts of the book which are shocking, and even quite dark in places, but there are also moments of humour and hope. The sexual 'scenes', whilst funny and somewhat disturbing in equal measure, are quite explicit though, and some tough themes are dealt with.

I read the book in the course of one night, over two reading sessions. Having read the first few chapters, I found myself wondering what was going to happen, sharing the hopes of Andy, and a growing impatience at having had to put down my Kindle to charge the battery.

I would recommend that anybody at least give this book a try - there is certainly no reason not to read the sample chapter. Be prepared for some parts that are difficult to read (in terms of the issues and situations dealt with, not because of poor writing) and the odd, unpleasant twist along the way. I expect the vast majority will not be disappointed when they have finished the book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Lumpy and unconvincing, 9 July 2013
This review is from: Tietam Brown (Paperback)
There was a lot of violence which seemed to serve no purpose and had what I felt to be totally unrealistic outcomes, which made a lot of the plot very unbelievable.
The characters often seemed to have no explanation for their behaviour and reacted to things in non believable crazy ways which to me made no sense.
Actually I would say most of the characters were under formed, 2 dimensional and weird.
It felt like the author just had a list of things he wanted to include in his book,and decided to stick them all together in a long rambling row regardless of how they fit together.
The sexual encounters were embarrassing and the way women were portrayed was pretty sad.
I have passed it on to a friend though just to see if I am the only one to think this, as its got quite good reviews on Amazon. Which is puzzling.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not just because he's a wrestler, 22 Sep 2008
D. Shakespeare "Shakey" (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tietam Brown (Paperback)
Don't read this book just because it's written by a wrestler, read it because it's a damn good book! Great narrative, great dialogue, filled with emotion and comedy.

Tietam Brown
Tietam Brown by Mick Foley (Paperback - 1 July 2004)
6.99