5.0 out of 5 stars Forget your preconceptions...
I don't review often on Amazon, but I had to make some comment on this book - because I think there's every chance a superb novel will get overlooked because of who its author is...
Published on 30 Aug 2004 by Stuart Bishop

2.0 out of 5 stars Lumpy and unconvincing
I found the premise of this book interesting an although it was in no way boring (there were certainly enough statement events in the plot to keep you interested) I just couldn't enjoy this clumpy book.
There was a lot of violence which seemed to serve no purpose and had what I felt to be totally unrealistic outcomes, which made a lot of the plot very...
Published 14 months ago by A.Lewis

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Forget your preconceptions..., 30 Aug 2004
Stuart Bishop "Stuart" (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tietam Brown (Paperback)
I confess, my hopes weren't high either (it was an impulse purchase as part of one of my regular book-splurges). A book by a guy from the great American pantomime of professional wrestling, writing a novel? Well, forget everything you may think in advance, and give it a go. This is a fantastic read from the small-town USA/coming of age/off-beat character school of literature. Think John Irving and Richard Russo, and you'll be somewhere in the right ballpark. No, honestly - trust me. Sympathetic characters, off-kilter plot, fantastically paced and plotted, and just enough weirdness.
Give it a chance, you won't be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars tietam brown, 30 Sep 2004
This review is from: Tietam Brown (Paperback)
I gotta be honest with you, i have never ever reviewed a book before in my life. In fact i have probably only read about 5 novels before this! But when i closed the last page in this book i wanted to tell people about this amazing novel.
It is very powerful and moving, the characters are truly believable and the story plods along at a nice pace.
There are some nice jokes to keep you amused and some true downhearted moments. If you are thinking about buying this book then you really must. And if you are not thinking about buying it then you really should.
I hope that Mick Foley will not stop at just this one book as he truly has a gift for telling a good story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Foley starts of his novel writing with a Bang! Bang!, 11 Aug 2004
This review is from: Tietam Brown (Paperback)
If you have read Mick Foley's first 2 books (his autobiographies) you will have a fair idea of what to expect in the way of humour, but not in the way of content and subject matter. This book is hard to put down once you pick it up due to the way and style it is written in; which is relaxed, almost as though Mick is narrating it. It is a strange but yet wonderful tale of a young 17 boy named Tietam Brown re-living his past experiences and future endavours. The tale carries Foley's great sense of humour that was portrayed in his wrestling career and his autobiographies. This book would make a great film. If you like Foley, you'll love the book, hell, even if you don't like or even know who Mick Foley is (but still have a sense of humour) you'll love the book. Bravo Mick, I can't wait til your next book is out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Moving Debut Novel From 'The Hardcore Legend', 7 Mar 2006
This review is from: Tietam Brown (Hardcover)
As a keen reader and WWE fan, I was interested in reading this. I had previously read Mick Foley's previous titles but didn't know what to expect in his debut novel. However, my intrigue was soon replaced with excitement and eagerness to turn the pages and learn the rest of the story, just after the first chapter.
Foley achieves a great deal in his first attempt, by creating what every author intends on doing. He creates interesting characters, a great unfolding story and does so by making use of many traits. The book contains humour, horror, romance and even gives us a hint of history.
Unfairly, a lot of people judge the book before they even read a sentance, just because the fact the author is known for competing in the sports-entertainment industry. Whoever does this is making a huge mistake as Tietam Brown is one of the most refreshing and compelling novels that I have ever read. The book will make you laugh, cry and generally become involved, it's not to be missed.
I don't want to spoil the plot for you as the unexpected nature of the novel is what makes it so special. All I can say is expect the unexpected and get ready for a novel you will not forget in a hurry!

5.0 out of 5 stars A suprising, riviting, quirky and disturbing book., 4 Aug 2003
Mr. A. J. D. White - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Tietam Brown (Hardcover)
I must admit to being a fan of wrestling and particularly of Mock Foley, I have both of his autobiographies and found them to be unputdownable. However the only reason why I bought this book was for a chance to meet the author and get him to sign it for me (I would probably have got it paper back sometime, maybe).
On picking up this book I found I was quickly sucked into a very believable world that Mick has created, I was equaly shocked rivited and amused by his writing. This is not a book for the faint of heart as it will reduce you to tears of fear, frustration and anger as you get pulled into the very disturbing world of Andy Brown who lives threw some of the best and worst things that can happen to a person.
I really don't want to tell you to much about this novel as that will spoil it, I had to stop myself a couple of times from reading the epilogue half way as I just had to know how things would work out, but as this book only took me about 6 hours to read I managed to stop myself. Whilst I may have read it quickly I lived a life time doing it.
All I can say is if you want a book to make the grey matter work, the heart cry and sing I can't recomened this book highly enough. Yes it is brutal in places so be warned.
One last thing that I feel I must mention is the humour in this novel as it is fairly constant, efvery few pages I got the feeling that Andy / Mick was giving me a sly glance and wink, telling me that it was ok to cry or laugh as life is about both.

5.0 out of 5 stars Defending Mick Foley, 3 Jan 2007
Elspeth Richardson "Social Reader" (New Zealand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tietam Brown (Paperback)
I don't usually write book reviews, but I do like to read them AFTER having read a book, to see if I agree with the critics. Having read a few on this book, I just felt the need to defend Mick Foley and his writings, incase any innocent readers were swayed by their unfavourable reviews. Indeed, all the reviews by actual READERS have been favourable, and I feel this is more important that the 'critics'.

The critics have concentrated on the violence and sexual references in this book, to which I wish to say 'pah'. Sure there's some violence and some sex but nothing that battered my eyelids. Perhaps I'm just becoming numbed to all that kind of stuff, and I wouldn't expect my mum and dad to find this a 'good read', but it's hardly breaking boundaries of social acceptability.

The book itself was a damn good read and I read it in under a week. I felt attached the the characters and was sorry when the book ended. To me, that's a GOOD BOOK.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fact or Fiction No-one Better, 20 April 2004
This review is from: Tietam Brown (Hardcover)
Mick Foley has written two excellent autobiographial accounts about hislife in the wrestling business but his debut novel blows both those booksout of the water.
The tale of Andy Brown is a touching book whichreally shouldn't be ignored by the reading public as it's full ofinteresting surprisingly complex characters. 'Tietam Brown' is a triumphand if it was written by a former wrestler i have no doubt it would behearlded as an immediate classic.
Andy Brown is having regular teenage problems throuhout the book andalthough there seems to be a lot of mick foley tied upin Brown(that greatear joke from have a nice day is reused to great effect and a dig at hisold self in cortland) the author refuses to become the centre ofattention.
Great for wrestling fan and non-fan alike though thewrestling fan may notice one or two private jokes thrown in for theiramusement(the steak house name?).

5.0 out of 5 stars My new favourite book, 10 Sep 2006
S. E. Benzie (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tietam Brown (Paperback)
Everyone in my household has read this book and we all have different reading tastes. I would recommend this book to anyone - my father is 50, my brother is 20 and I am 18 (female) and we enjoyed it equally. It's funny, sad and pretty weird at times, it feels light-hearted and dark all at once and I think that's why I love it so much!

4.0 out of 5 stars A wrestler who can write...........well I'll be damned, 7 Aug 2004
Piero (Sydney, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tietam Brown (Paperback)
I have actually only read about 100 pages of this book, but I am enjoying it so much I had to offer my thoughts so far.
On a wave of enbthusiasm for the book I went trawling through the morass that is the Web today, to see if there were any more books by this Foley character. And what do I discover, but he's a (semi?)retired wrestler.
I have always bagged wrestling as a childish, over-choreographed farce fit only for the amusement of mad people, but I will have to reassess my opinion - at least of the participants. Jesse Ventura may be a Governor, but then look at Arnie.....
I digress - this book is great. I have been given a few hints via other online reviews of how dark this tale becomes, but the humour has had me laughing my way though train journeys and gleefully reading excerpts to my work colleagues. His characters are vivid and lifelike, and his portait of the long suffering, but wry and intelligent Antietam/Andy is moving, insightful and all too real; you can almost see him sitting next to you exposing his innermost thoughts as you read.
I can only hope that Mr. Foley gives wrestling away altogether to write more novels. His style is confident and assured, and for a first novel undeniably impressive. I have to sheepishly admit that I am reminded of the 14 year old hero of Vernon God Little, though we shouldn't be handing any Bookers to Mick yet.
Bravo, and keep on writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Absolute Masterpiece, 19 July 2003
Mr. I. Hazeldine (Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tietam Brown (Hardcover)
Having read Mick Foley's biography I was keen to find out how his writing skills would hold up in his first novel. All I can say is that this man is very very gifted. I picked up the book this morning and could not put it down. Having read it all in a single day I can honestly say that I have never read such a touching, powerful and at times downright funny story in all my life. I urge everyone to read Andy Brown's tale - you will not be disappointed. I can't wait for Mick's next literary masterpiece. Absolute class.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Tietam Brown
Tietam Brown by Mick Foley (Paperback - 1 July 2004)