Cat

4.0 out of 5 stars Great holiday reading
I admit to getting this book free with a magazine (I'd just finished 'Olivia Joules Overactive Imagination' by Helen Fielding, far too quickly).
This book started quite slowly, and read a little like transcribed research at first, but it built itself into a thoroughly compelling read.
A great insight into the Tour de France, and a rather novel writing style as...
Published on 30 Aug 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Undecided
I gave this book a 3, because I cant decide quite how I feel about it.

I found the style of the book hard to read at times, and there was an awful lot of Tour de France info, which I just plain didnt understand (I have no interest in the Tour de France!). Aside from that, once I was into the book, I was desperate to find out what happened and the second half...
Published on 30 May 2008 by dizzyshelly

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great holiday reading, 30 Aug 2004
This review is from: Cat (Paperback)
A great insight into the Tour de France, and a rather novel writing style as it's quite 'shrink and patient' style!
Buy it, read it in two days flat, and enjoy every page as it whizzes by

4.0 out of 5 stars Got me into the Tour De France, North is by far the best!, 18 Feb 2002
mjplay@essex.ac.uk (Colchester, Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cat (Paperback)
I read this having read Chloe, Sally and Polly. This book has helped to strengthern my love of Freya Norths writing. As with all her other books I found that I could identify with Cat easily and found that I couldn't put the book down. I now want to go and see the Tour De France and try to get as close I can to Cat's experience of it. Another emotional and witty master peace by the extremly talented Freya North.

4.0 out of 5 stars since when was the Tour de France this exciting?, 9 May 2001
This review is from: Cat (Paperback)
possibly one of the best books I have read. The setting of the Tour de France as a vehicle to recover from lost love, makes an un-put-downable fourth offering from Freya North and her best novel to date. Cannot wait for 'Fen', just to find out what happens with Ben and Cat, which Freya will undoubtedly allow us to find out in tiny snippets, alongside news about Pip and Alex. One question though, how many women will now have a fixation with doctors and cyclists because of reading this book? I for one will be taking a great interest in the Tour de France this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous!, 10 July 2000
This review is from: Cat (Paperback)
I was trapped in Waterloo Station, waiting for a train, when I realized that I had nothing to read for the coming three-hour trip. I dashed into the nearest bookstore and grabbed Cat off the shelf at random. I read the synopsis while waiting to pay and decided that the book looked interesting enough to last the trip. Once I was on the train, I pulled it out again - and didn't put it down for the next three days. I was utterly charmed by Freya North's description of the world of racing and by Cat, the smart, sassy woman who had me loving her by the second page. I eagerly followed her tragedies and triumphs and came away with a new appreciation for the grueling Tour de France. I have yet to come across a book I liked as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Freya North at her best. Romance and bawdy sex scenes., 8 Dec 2000
This review is from: Cat (Paperback)
Cat captures the atmosphere of the Tour de France from an interesting perspective. Only Freya North could turn a sports documentary into a romantic and sexy tale of boy, (well man), meets girl, (almost woman) and will they won't they. The love story itself varies its pace to match the Tour race. At times a frantic sprint, then a gentle ride, then an uphill struggle whilst misunderstandings are worked out, then a rush down into the forests below. The course of this particular tail of true love, like the Tour, runs through sunshine one day, storm clouds the next, and then into fragile mists at its peaks another. The laps sprinted around Paris at the end of the Tour are in many ways just as anti-climactic as the separation. But, not to worry, there's always the Vuelta, and sunny Spain, and a renewal of the passionate affair. Okay, it has its kitschy moments, the language is frequently coarse, as is some of the sex, but that it seems reflects the Tour itself. And, believe me by the end of the book you'll know more about the goings on amongst the cycling stars than a gynecologist knows about what goes on in a uterus. 150 years ago Cat would probably have been Elizabeth Bennett; but this is set in 1999, and we have cell phone conversations and sex made at several times the pace letters were written to Darcy; and a claustrophobic family atmosphere of sports journalists instead of the Bennetts themselves. This good yarn doesn't rattle; it can't. Every joint is lined with Lycra.

5.0 out of 5 stars Had me hooked on the Tour de France, 6 Aug 2001
This review is from: Cat (Paperback)
I loved this book, This was my 1st Freya North book I read. Made me watch the "Tour De France" this year and like Cat & her sisters I was totally blown away by it all! If I hadn't read this book I would never have watched the Tour or read any of her other books. I can't wait 'til the books about Cat's 2 sisters are published

5.0 out of 5 stars since when was the tour de france this exciting?, 10 May 2001
This review is from: Cat (Paperback)
after reading 'chloe' and 'sally' by freya north, i chanced upon 'cat', and found it to be by far the best novel of the trio. using the setting of the tour de france for this genuinely funny love story gives the novel more depth than the usual romantic yarns which fill the best seller lists. whilst hoping against hope for cat to find the solace she is deperately looking for, I found myself eager to find out how Luca or Stefano and Vasily placed in the stages. All the twists and turns that Freya litters so liberally made this book un-put-down-able. can't wait for 'fen'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tour De France brought to life via Cat's love of the sport, 7 Mar 2000
This review is from: Cat (Paperback)
Having thoroughly enjoyed Polly, Cat was next and was completely 'un-put-downable.' Freya North really gets you involved with all the characters and brought the Tour de France, for me, to life. A sport I once thought boring, I now cannot wait to follow this year. Not only does the author deal with her characters but concentrates too on the entire sport. Her style of writing is young and fresh and just what is needed for today's woman. SUPERB. I now need to read Sally and Chloe - keep it up.

5.0 out of 5 stars What A Giggle! :)....., 28 Nov 1999
This review is from: Cat (Paperback)
.....I now feel like I have experienced the Tour de France in all its glory, [not to mention the blood and sweat!]. Freya North has done it again, following in the sassy tradition of Sally, Chloe and Polly is Cat, a twenty-something female, slightly unsure of herself being thrown into a mans world. All the characters in this new book are given so much vitality that you really begin to believe that your there, following the greatest cycle race in the world. You catch the excitment and experience the loss. I know that come next year I will be watching the race on TV. For anyone that enjoyed the first set of books this is a must read. I, personally, cannot wait for the next two in the series. Hurry up!

5.0 out of 5 stars I couldnt put the book down!, 6 Jan 2000
This review is from: Cat (Paperback)
Once again, Freya North, has written a masterpiece! I have read the other books, and couldnt wait for her latest novel, and I wasnt disappointed. Cat, is about a reporter who feels like a bit of an adventure to get the job she has been dreaming about, and to do this, she has the chance to cover the Tour De France. So she enters the "Mans World" and boy does she knock them out.
If you were not interested in the Tour De France before, you will certainly will be afterwards, her research shows, and the details she goes into, will amaze you!
I look forward to the next book!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Cat
Cat by Freya North (Paperback - 1 Jun 2000)
Used & New from: £0.01