5.0 out of 5 stars Unfair description!
Everything I could say about this book has already been said; I think it is a lovely read and I was sad to finish it. Then I was pleased to look on here and discover that there are more!
Published on 13 Jan. 2009 by K. Morrison

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I remembered it.
Published 26 days ago by Mr Pen

5.0 out of 5 stars Unfair description!, 13 Jan. 2009
K. Morrison "kirmildew" (Lincs, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Duncton Wood (The Duncton Chronicles) (Paperback)
My main reason for reviewing here is to complain that the "product description" for this book is grossly unfair. It's not a description of the story for the benefit of a new reader, it's a hatchet job review by somebody who clearly disliked the book for whatever reason. All of the subsequent reviews show that the reading public love this book, so why is the author stuck with such a nasty, biased review serving as the Amazon introduction to this great book?

5.0 out of 5 stars Little known masterpiece, 8 Mar. 2010
Oracle - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Duncton Wood (The Duncton Chronicles) (Paperback)
Duncton Wood is a novel that verges on perfection. This harrowing and beautiful work tells an epic tale of the nature of good and evil and enduring love. Duncton Wood is one of those rare books that can make you both laugh and cry. It's superbly plotted and the twists and turns of the narrative are shocking and heart rending. The descriptions of the landscape are evocative and the characters are truly memorable. Even the minor players will stay with you for years to come.

So why such a fine book currently out of print? Presumably because the main characters are moles. If Horwood had only set his story in some ancient or post-apocalyptic human subterranean community, Duncton Wood would be one of the most critically acclaimed books today.

But that doesn't change the brilliance of this novel. Suffice to say there can't be many out-of-print novels which have so many positive reviews as this one.

Duncton Wood is much, much more than an obscure cult classic and is undoubtedly one of the best novels I've ever read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definatly recommended!, 27 Jan. 2014
B. P. Sleath "torq42" (Herdecke) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Duncton Wood (The Duncton Chronicles) (Paperback)
First read this book as i was around 18 years old and loved it.
Knowing not everything you like as a teenager still seems as good when you are older i was not sure if it would be worth re-reading now 30 years later.
I should not have worried.It is still one of the best books i have ever read and i have read alot of books in my life.
Don't be put off that it is a book about moles. It is by no means a childrens book and although it is often compared to Lord of the Rings, the only similarity is that Horwood and Tolkien are both great storytellers.
Everything in life is a matter if taste so recommending anything to someone else is always difficult but if you have at least a little imagination and are open to the idea that moles could have a society, then you will love this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A life changing book, 17 Jan. 2007
P. S. Dixon (Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Duncton Wood (Hardcover)
I read the original Duncton wood when it came out and the subsequent books as they came out.

Nothing can prepare you for the depth, complexity, and pure emotional attachment of these books. Ok, for some people the characters being moles may be offputting .. I know that when ever I enthuse to friend about this series their eyes glaze over when I get to that part. But dont be put off, these are very deep, emotional and spiritual books about love, obsession, corruption and community. When you have read these, books about Hobbits and Goblins will seem silly and shallow!

William Horwoods style is quite unique, I have never read any other book where you are never quite sure whether a character you have started to really relate to and enjoy, will suddenly meet a grizzley end.

Horwood also has the ability to create some of the most evil characters ever imaginable... for those of you know .. Mandrake!! and yet you understood why they had become how they were, and felt sympathy and understanding for them ... a unique talent.

I would say that these are not for children, I read the first at 15, which is about right.

These books have a rare beauty and special quality about them that cannot be put into words ... if you want a quick read to get you into Horwood, buy his biography ' the boy with no shoes ' this documents his austere, troubled childhood and illustrates his relationships with various people, his mother ( shades of Mandrake!!) Grandmother (love of life and caring nature) Mr Bubbles ( at one with nature ).. it is very remaniscent of the style of Duncton and obviously a factor in its existence

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible moving story, 20 Oct. 2003
P. Arias Fernández "blonde_helen" (Seville, Spain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Duncton Wood (Paperback)
A wonderful beginning to the first Duncton trilogy, The Duncton Chronicles, Duncton Wood tells the moving story of a system under threat from a new and dangerous religion, of the courage and love between moles, and of the fight between right and wrong. A book to be read, a type of Watership Down with moles, but better, and more gripping. Don't miss it!

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as LOTR and should be more widely known, 6 Dec. 2010
I'll keep this brief!
Just simply one of the best ever books I have ever read and dispite the thickness of this book, you will be left wanting more and more.
Luckily, there are 6 books in total in regards to Duncton!

If you like Lord of the rings and other such books which create their own world but stay true to human emotions/interactions & aspirations you will LOVE this book.

don't be put off by the whole 'mole' idea if soppy animal stories are not your thing, because this book is anything but.

Uplifting, full of character and a real sense of journey is what this book IS!

Would be a hard read for younger children, as this story is not sugar-coated but told like a good true story would be. Teenagers and older will love it.

Buy it and try it - you won't be disappointed!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I remembered it., 6 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Duncton Wood (Hardcover)
This book has not aged well. When I first read it as a teenager, I found it riveting stuff, a sort of Watership Downs for moles. But a reread finds it to be overly long, and far too much paragraphs devoted to such activities as crossing a field. I started reading it as a bedtime story to our daughter but stopped because A. we both got bored, and B. occasionally it deals with certain adult topics not really suited to a bedtime story.

You may love it. It certainly spawned a lot more books in the series. But for me, this was best left as a memory.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Modern Classic, 28 Dec. 2008
This review is from: Duncton Wood (The Duncton Chronicles) (Paperback)
The descriptions of the English countryside, the wide variety of characters and their interaction and the sheer depth and range of the 6 Duncton books make this series of 2 linked trilogies a reading experience that can rarely be equalled. They are far more adult in tone than Watership Down and possibly do not have as much back-story as Tolkien's 'The Lord of the Rings'. Unfortunately all the Duncton books are out of print but at least they can be ordered through Amazon. There is a richness of language and ideas that transcends most novels and these two talpine trilogies contain examples of love, courage, darkness, sadism, inspiration, tragedy and triumph. I can recommend the entire set of books to every reader and the fact that the characters are moles is incidental due to the fine detail and quality of writing. The description of the moles and their lives is faultless; their emotions and incidents in their lives could apply to humanity. The only books that have kindled such a grip on this reader and a belief in the characters is the Quest for the Faradawn trilogy by Richard Ford.

5.0 out of 5 stars Audio format please!, 12 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Duncton Wood (The Duncton Chronicles) (Paperback)
This series is an inspired masterpiece! Why still no audio book format? I don't read much now due to my eyes. I miss this saga terribly. Please Amazon, William, the publisher, someone PLEASE release an audio book version! The audio book world is being deprived of one of the best fantasy epics of our time!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best series of books I have ever read., 4 Dec. 2006
This review is from: Duncton Wood (The Duncton Chronicles) (Paperback)
I have never read another book like it.

Seriously, I am a reader, I read everything I can get my hands on. Nothing is as magical as this book and the ones that follow.

If I could compare it to anything else, it would have to be Lord Of The Rings - don't get me wrong, there are no goblins, elfs, dwarfs or wizards. But in the sheer scope its similar. In fact its bigger, the Duncton books are truly epic.

It's a book about moles.. Ok, so when it was recommended to me I thought.. 'Moles?!?! why on earth would I want to read that!?'. However under the unrelenting pressure of my mother to read this book, I gave in. I'm glad I did. Firstly this is not a book for children! Murder, rape and incest are some of the themes and the books are pretty gory at times.

This is not a book for the impatient. It's long.. and the books get longer. But if you are the type of person who can stick with a book you will find your reward.

It will make you laugh out loud and it will make you cry. You will paint the landscapes and characters in your head. Once the book has got hold of you, you won't be able to let it go.

...And when you get to the final conclusion and have turned the last page you will want more.

I cannot rate this book highly enough. I'm happy to say that if I could only ever read one set of books again for the rest of my life, it would be the Duncton books.. If you can find a copy.. buy it!

Duncton Wood (The Duncton Chronicles)
Duncton Wood (The Duncton Chronicles) by William Horwood (Paperback - July 1985)
Used & New from: £0.01