5.0 out of 5 stars Back to the past
this book is brilliant and as my mother came from the same area and was born around the same time I could identify so easily with the character, it gave an insight as to people lived at the time and how differnt life could become. Lovely to read some history and names I could identify with. Definately worth reading!!
Published on 6 Nov 2009 by V. O'Leary

3.0 out of 5 stars Good enough for me to want to read about his father
My wife bought me this book on the basis that Tony Parsons is quoted on the front cover "The must read book of the year" I have always enjoyed Tony Parsons books so it was a logical purchase.

I have to say I really struggled with the first 100 pages and it took two or three attempts to get into the book - separated by months.

I did eventually get...
Published on 10 Feb 2008 by Mark Beech

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to the past, 6 Nov 2009
V. O'Leary (Surrey England) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 12 Feb 2003
Sinead Clacy (Guernsey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I was absorbed by this book. It is a love story on two levels; the first being the tale of the author's parents, and the second (and most touching) being the love between a mother and son. Mr Morrison is very honest in this book, it must have been painful for him to write and I found it a poignant read. I have ordered his book "And when did you last see your father" and am looking forward to reading it soon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellence in a couple of hundred pages, 17 Oct 2003
A. Madan - See all my reviews
This review is from: Things My Mother Never Told Me (Paperback)
The scene opens up in the chaos of World War II, Blake Morrison didnt know that his mother was keeping secrets from him...When she died, he discovered numerous letters written between his mother and father. Frankly, they were not at all what he had expected! Blake discovers that his parents relationship was difficult and that his mother changed a lot during that time. His mother changed her name firstly and then her religion! The whole story revolves around Blake and how he went onto discover the truth about his mother and father...and some other characters...It is a page turner, the reader wants to read on and on, never stopping, it is a classic book, but sometimes gets boring. Overall, it deserves a round of applause!

5.0 out of 5 stars best book, 14 May 2013
This book was one of the best I've ever read, gripping from start to finish and I didn't want it to end

4.0 out of 5 stars Searching for mother, 22 April 2011
This review is from: Things My Mother Never Told Me (Paperback)
I thought this was an engaging book - you can feel the frustration of a man whose mother kept so many secrets, and his delight at finding the correspondence between his parents during the war. It really made me think how much our future generations will lose out by not having those packets of letters to read - texts and emails just aren't the same!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Interesting, 16 April 2011
This review is from: Things My Mother Never Told Me (Paperback)
If you are like me and are as endlessly curious as I am about the lives of ordinary people in ordinary towns and cities, then I am sure that you will enjoy this book.

Blake Morrison has written about his mother who, it turns out, he hardly knew at all because she never talked about her early years in Ireland. Morrison's mother led an interesting life, being born and brought up in rural Ireland, then training as a doctor and working endless hours in English hospitals during the war. Letters between her and Morrison's father detail this period of their lives, bringing to life the ups and downs of the war years in a way that I feel privileged to have been given the opportunity to read.

For me, the book worked on a number of levels - first, as previously mentioned, in the portrayal of the ordinary lives of a bygone era, secondly, as an entertaining read and thirdly, as an outstanding tribute by Morrison to his mother. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting read, 19 Sep 2010
E. Braben - See all my reviews
This review is from: Things My Mother Never Told Me (Paperback)
I suggest you read 'When did you last see your father?' before this one as it put this book about the author's mother in context. I love Blake Morrison's writing and his books are a delight to read for his writing style alone - poetic and personal.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good enough for me to want to read about his father, 10 Feb 2008
This review is from: Things My Mother Never Told Me (Paperback)

I did eventually get into the book and whilst I didn't find it a great read - I am interested enough to buy the book about his father if that is recommendation enough.

It is worth the effort to get into it.

Things My Mother Never Told Me
Things My Mother Never Told Me by Blake Morrison (Paperback - 3 July 2003)