5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent
Published on 17 Jun 2004 by SJ

2.0 out of 5 stars A long read...
Published on 30 July 2007 by Cadeyes

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 17 Jun 2004
This review is from: Being Committed (Hardcover)
Anna Maxted looks like a chicklit author on the surface but deals with much darker subjects than run of the mill writers - which she definitely isn't. Her last book, Behaving Like Adults, dealt with date rape yet still managed to be a laugh out loud page turner. I don't know how she does it but I wish I could write like that. Her latest novel tackles with the thorny issue of commitment in a long term relationship. There are a few skeletons in the characters' closets but nothing quite as dark as the last book, which was a bit of a relief. I thoroughly enjoyed this book - largely because it was truly funny - and recommend it to anyone who's read and enjoyed Maxted's previous novels.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it!, 10 July 2004
This review is from: Being Committed (Hardcover)
I bought this after reading a great review of Anna in Heat and I have to say she is a great writer, abive and beyond many others. I've just finished this and will be taking a couple of her other books on holiday with me. It was funny, pacy and like Marian Keyes, didn't patronise (though Marion Keyes latest is slightly too downbeat.) Anna obviously goes for serious issues and keeps it light hearted, in that sense this is a great book. Perfect if your tired of the more typical often poorley written chick lit offerings which give teh genre a bad name. This book shines.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Done, Anna, 16 Jun 2004
Mrs. Karen Merquis "karenmerquis" (Notttingham) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Being Committed (Hardcover)
I love Anna Maxted's books. They all have twists and turns that you just don't see coming. This one is no different. The characters are believeable and you are left really caring what happens to them. I am looking forward to the next one!

2.0 out of 5 stars A long read..., 30 July 2007
Cadeyes (Switzerland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Being Committed (Paperback)
I picked up this book for a second time recently after having tried once before to drum up interest. This time around I did finish it, but what a long read! The main character is opinionated and not very likeable. Half the time you can't wait until someone will finally tell her a thing or two about life and relationships. For the first few chapters the author can't seem to stick to the plot and keeps going off on narratory paths that have little to do with what is going on. Then she has a hard time coming back to the point. It gets a bit better after a while but then at the end you have to plough through pages of psycho-babble, in dialogues. Real people don't live most of their lives in one mind-set and then after a bit of new information willingly throw it all over board and then explain the new version of opinion like soap stars with a short script. There are plenty of books of the genre that are more entertaining, sorry.

3.0 out of 5 stars Rather Disappointing, 3 Aug 2005
Rebecca (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Being Committed (Paperback)
Having enjoyed all of Anna Maxted's previous novels, it was with great anticipation that I began to read Being Committed. From the first few chapters I was disappointed. I found the main female character difficult to connect to. I felt she was unlikable and she didn't learn from any of the trials being set before her. Unlike Maxted's previous main characters, I didn't feel empathy for her, or understanding for what she was going through. I couldn't help but think, "What an idiot!" as she went through similar situations over and over. I still very much enjoy Anna Maxted's books, but just wasn't as fond of this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC - HIGHLY ENJOYABLE, 12 Sep 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Being Committed (Hardcover)
Wow - I have never read any of Anna's previous books, but received this one as a gift. I loved it! I had trouble putting it down - which if you knew me, would appreciate how good it must be, as I am not much of a reader. The twists and turns of her life, struck a cord, and I am sure that everybody could associate parts with their own life. Anna's humour is sarcastic and droll - which makes for an even better read. I am going out to get her other books immediately, and, having read all your other reviews, am going to give Miriam Keyes a go to.
I would highly recommend this book, and would suit any age from late teens to mid 30's.

4.0 out of 5 stars better than 'behaving like adults', 7 Sep 2008
This review is from: Being Committed (Paperback)
Read this book after reading 'behaving like adults' by Anna, and have to say this is much better! I found behaving like adults a bit to dark and unsettling to be honest, but this is brilliant! At times I couldn't wait to read what happened! I very nearly skipped to the end, but didn't want to ruin it.
Some of the storyline is obvious right from the beginning, but other bits are complete twists and keep surprising you!
Overall this is a good read which will keep you up late into the night to find out what happens! Enjoy!

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable but a little disappointing, 14 July 2004
This review is from: Being Committed (Hardcover)
'Getting Over It' and 'Behaving Like Adults' were terrific books, but this one struggled to strike the same chord. Not sure whether the author is running out of real issues to write about. However, she still remains a talented writer and whilst disappointing in view of her recent books this was still fairly enjoyable albeit a bit predictable. I would still rate her up there with Mirian Keyes and Jane Green in the chic-lit stakes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Misunderstood, 1 Feb 2005
This review is from: Being Committed (Paperback)
I would like to reply Meredith commnents regarding Anna Maxted's novels. Although I haven't read her latest I have all her previous books and have read and re-read them many times. I fail to understand how Meredith believes that berevement, eating disorders and rape make Maxted's novels "drivel". Her first novel came out during the time when I myself suffered a close family death and her handling of the subject was both sensitive and truthful and helped me though this difficult period. I think that she's fabulous.

1.0 out of 5 stars Complete drivel, 30 Jun 2004
This review is from: Being Committed (Hardcover)
Why anyone likes this author is a mystery to me. Her stuff is predictable, twee and not particularly funny. I guess it's written for teenagers, or something.

Being Committed
Being Committed by Anna Maxted (Paperback - 3 Feb 2005)