Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now

Format: Paperback|Change

on 9 December 2013
I hoped it was a little longer, but I like the illustrations, which state parallelisms between LOTR and The Hobbit stories.
Also, I wanted it for my EFL classes, but I consider its language maybe too high for my pupils.
on 29 November 2010
If you have read Hobbit and LOTR, this might be a bit of a surprise. Bilbo's farewell to Middle-earth as a short poem with illustrations from Tolkien's favourite illustrator Paulinen Baynes. The perfect little gift for Tolkien fans of all ages.
on 7 November 2012
A coda to The Lord of the Rings, Bilbo's Last Song is a poem of twelve four-line stanzas telling the tale of the old hobbit's passing from Middle-earth into the uttermost West.

Each stanza is allocated an entire left-hand page. Framing the twelve verses are twelve different pairs of overarching trees, painted in colour by Tolkien's favourite artist, the late Pauline Baynes. Beneath, on and above the trees are a wonderful variety of creatures lent by the British countryside - fox and badger, beaver and stoat, hedgehog and otter, frog and squirrel, weasel and rabbit, bat, blackbird and owl, all animated by the keenly observed spirit so characteristic of Pauline's work.

Opposite each stanza, on the right-hand page, is a colour vignette of a stage of Bilbo's last journey. We see him in his room at Rivendell, speaking to Elrond, mounting his pony, riding through woodland, encountering Frodo and Sam, coming to the Far Downs, meeting Cirdan the Shipwright, arriving at the Grey Havens, greeting Merry and Pippin, setting sail, passing the horizon and coming at last to the glory of the Undying Lands.

At the foot of each page are a series of smaller colour vignettes depicting the great adventure of Bilbo's that Tolkien recorded in The Hobbit. In the edition which I own - a hardback published by Hutchinson in 2002 - there is also a frontispiece showing Bilbo at his writing desk, together with a title page portrait of Bilbo resting after a walk and an inexpressibly lovely endpaper painting of Elrond's company watched by fox, deer, badger and squirrel as they ride through a golden-leaved autumn. Six pages of notes relate each illustration to the relevant passage in Tolkien's stories.

Pauline's gentle, graceful art has been an unfailing joy to me since I discovered it in the Chronicles of Narnia more than forty years ago. In this exquisite, jewel-bright masterpiece, reminiscent of the illuminated mediaeval manuscripts that she revered, her unique craft and gifts find what must surely be one of their most beautiful expressions.
on 20 September 2014
Charming, well illustrated. What a lovely thing to do with this poem. Don't expect it to keep your mind busy for long, but keep it on the bookshelf, or coffee table, for those quiet moments when only a bit of good literature will do. And it does, over and over again.
on 2 November 2014
I am a fan of Tolkien and was not entirely sure what to expect from this song. It is far shorter than I expected and I was unsure why it is being sold as in it's very own book. However, the art work is very good.
on 5 January 2003
Consider when you are buying this that, for the price, you are getting one short poem by Tolkien, plus a few pictures. I didn't think it was a great poem, and the pictures I found very poor indeed. Bilbo's furry feet make it him look like he is wearing a pair of carpet slippers. I think the amount of enjoyment most people will get from this book will be next to nothing. Unless you absolutely must own everything the author ever did, take two minutes to read it in a book shop, put it back on the shelf and save yourself the money.
on 19 October 2014
It's an amazing story by Tolkein. Book in amazing condition esp being paperback. It is written in a child's Str do dobt expect it to be an epic like the trilogy! Is pictured and speech marked as if a comic book! Is amazing though! Obviously!
on 28 November 2012
My daughter is a fan of Lord of the rings and I thought she may like this. She has special needs, so needs pictures.
This book is just great. Its for her Xmas gift so I hope she likes it swell.
on 5 August 2011
I'm a massive Tolkien fan, so for me this is a little gem... If you're not a huge fan of Tolkien's works you're probably better off finding the poem on the internet.
on 9 July 2015
I liked it, it will make a lovely 'extra' gift to put in stockings at Christmas...( yes,, I am already thinking ahead and books always figure large on my Christmas list.)