Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 March 2007
This is a lovely book. We had it on almost permanent loan from the library at one stage and my daughter insisted that I read it nearly every night because she enjoyed it so much. With charming illustrations and well chosen words John Burningham conjures up his characters of a slightly put upon father, an interfering grandmother and a lonely little boy who enjoys wonderful adventures at night in his magic bed. Delightful and touching.
on 7 August 2008
I love this book, and the children do too. A very happy story but not sickly sweet. Relevant illustrations and a book that can be read and read again. Also a great bed time story. Buy it!
Georgie needs a new bed. He chooses a nice second hand bed, much to his grandmother's disapproval. However, the bed is a magic bed and, once Georgie finds the magic word, he can fly on adventures. He finds tigers in the jungle, witches in the sky and sometimes he swims with the dolphins (which is why his bed is sometimes wet in the mornings...). Then when he goes on holiday his grandmother switches his beloved bed for a nice new one from the shopping centre. Can disaster be averted? This is a lovely story, very imaginative and clever.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 10 March 2014
My son would probably get more out of this if he were older. It reminded me of a younger Bedknobs and Broomsticks, which is another wish-fulfilment tale for imaginative children.

A boy goes out to buy a new bed and comes back with one the shopkeeper says is magic. And lo and behold, when he tries it...

My little boy loves the adventures but was confused by some of the family relationships - his mums boyfriend (I think) takes him to buy the bed, they all live at grandma's house. While this does reflect modern family life, an older child would more quickly latch onto this idea.

We love John Burningham and are working our way though his back catalogue. This is a lesser known example but highly enjoyable.

We can't work out the magic word though... My son is scared to try in case his bed flies away but it would be fun to see what children come up with: "m . . . y".
on 1 February 2009
This is everything I used to imagine being able to do as a child. My sister and I both had flying beds and lots of adventures. I bought the book for my young sons a couple of years ago and they loved it too.

Great book which brought back great childhood memories!
on 4 September 2011
Just getting into John Burningham books & this one is particularly lovely. The illustrations appear simple but are beautifully subtle. The story is lovely for 2 year olds as there is not masses of text on each page and my boy wanted to get into his magic bed straight away! Love it.
on 7 January 2013
My 4 year old granddaughters like this story, and the idea of being able to fly above the houses in the bed. I liked the interfering granny getting rid of the bed when the family were on holiday, replacing it with a proper new bed. I thought the ending a bit weak (did he fly the bed back to his bedroom, if so how could that be explained to grown-ups) but the grandchildren don't notice there might be a problem so that's ok.
on 9 December 2012
I bought this for my reception class to complete a unit of work. It is about a boy who outgrows his cot and buys a new 'magic' bed from an antiques shop. At night the bed takes him on adventures all over the world. Lots of discussion to be had from this book.
on 12 July 2013
I bought this for my 3 year old twins but my 5 year old loves it too, they relate to a small boy loving something that isn't perfect and love the thought that their beds might be magic and take them on a journey one day
on 11 September 2013
I am a class teacher and this was the perfect story for my interview! it got me the job ( along with my lesson plan).
You need a large post box for it to be delivered as I had to collect mine due to large size.