5.0 out of 5 stars Magical
Published on 26 Mar. 2007 by S. Sidorowicz

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit scary
I loved John Burningham's little book for toddlers when my children were small, and was pleased to see his books for slighly older children - I bought several. This book was a bad choice for my granddaughter, who sometimes has bad dreams. (Don't they all?) I think the idea that when you go to bed you might end up anywhere is potentially the stuff of toddler nightmares...
Published on 27 Sept. 2009 by M. Beaton

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical, 26 Mar. 2007
S. Sidorowicz (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Magic Bed (Paperback)
This is a lovely book. We had it on almost permanent loan from the library at one stage and my daughter insisted that I read it nearly every night because she enjoyed it so much. With charming illustrations and well chosen words John Burningham conjures up his characters of a slightly put upon father, an interfering grandmother and a lonely little boy who enjoys wonderful adventures at night in his magic bed. Delightful and touching.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Book, 7 Aug. 2008
This review is from: The Magic Bed (Paperback)
I love this book, and the children do too. A very happy story but not sickly sweet. Relevant illustrations and a book that can be read and read again. Also a great bed time story. Buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Magic Bed, 10 Aug. 2010
S Riaz "S Riaz" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Magic Bed (Paperback)
Georgie needs a new bed. He chooses a nice second hand bed, much to his grandmother's disapproval. However, the bed is a magic bed and, once Georgie finds the magic word, he can fly on adventures. He finds tigers in the jungle, witches in the sky and sometimes he swims with the dolphins (which is why his bed is sometimes wet in the mornings...). Then when he goes on holiday his grandmother switches his beloved bed for a nice new one from the shopping centre. Can disaster be averted? This is a lovely story, very imaginative and clever.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love the magic and the idea, 10 Mar. 2014
K. J. Noyes "Katy Noyes" (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Magic Bed (Paperback)
My son would probably get more out of this if he were older. It reminded me of a younger Bedknobs and Broomsticks, which is another wish-fulfilment tale for imaginative children.

A boy goes out to buy a new bed and comes back with one the shopkeeper says is magic. And lo and behold, when he tries it...

My little boy loves the adventures but was confused by some of the family relationships - his mums boyfriend (I think) takes him to buy the bed, they all live at grandma's house. While this does reflect modern family life, an older child would more quickly latch onto this idea.

We love John Burningham and are working our way though his back catalogue. This is a lesser known example but highly enjoyable.

We can't work out the magic word though... My son is scared to try in case his bed flies away but it would be fun to see what children come up with: "m . . . y".

5.0 out of 5 stars The Magic Bed is Magic!, 1 Feb. 2009
This review is from: The Magic Bed (Paperback)
This is everything I used to imagine being able to do as a child. My sister and I both had flying beds and lots of adventures. I bought the book for my young sons a couple of years ago and they loved it too.

Great book which brought back great childhood memories!

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic bed is a lovely story!, 4 Sept. 2011
This review is from: The Magic Bed (Paperback)
Just getting into John Burningham books & this one is particularly lovely. The illustrations appear simple but are beautifully subtle. The story is lovely for 2 year olds as there is not masses of text on each page and my boy wanted to get into his magic bed straight away! Love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Granddaughters like it., 7 Jan. 2013
Latenighter (South-East England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Magic Bed (Paperback)
My 4 year old granddaughters like this story, and the idea of being able to fly above the houses in the bed. I liked the interfering granny getting rid of the bed when the family were on holiday, replacing it with a proper new bed. I thought the ending a bit weak (did he fly the bed back to his bedroom, if so how could that be explained to grown-ups) but the grandchildren don't notice there might be a problem so that's ok.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical, 9 Dec. 2012
C. L. Steel (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Magic Bed (Paperback)
I bought this for my reception class to complete a unit of work. It is about a boy who outgrows his cot and buys a new 'magic' bed from an antiques shop. At night the bed takes him on adventures all over the world. Lots of discussion to be had from this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars My children love this book, 12 July 2013
This review is from: The Magic Bed (Paperback)
I bought this for my 3 year old twins but my 5 year old loves it too, they relate to a small boy loving something that isn't perfect and love the thought that their beds might be magic and take them on a journey one day

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for my interview, 11 Sept. 2013
This review is from: The Magic Bed (Paperback)
I am a class teacher and this was the perfect story for my interview! it got me the job ( along with my lesson plan).
You need a large post box for it to be delivered as I had to collect mine due to large size.

The Magic Bed
The Magic Bed by John Burningham (Paperback - 4 Mar. 2004)