5.0 out of 5 stars An essential read for Reggie TV series fans and anyone else!, 24 Mar 2000
C. BALFOUR (Didcot, UK) - See all my reviews
I cannot recommend this book highly enough. I was only nine when the television series,The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin first hit our screens in 1976. I started reading the books a few years later and was amazed that all the best bits from the series were there as well as lots of background and situations that were not in the series. The writing is very clever and very funny, and helps the reader have a clear picture on the personalities of the main characters, of which there are many.
Reading this again has made me realise how much I sometimes hate the stresses and strains of commuter life, but having this to read on my long train journey makes it that much easier.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funniest, saddest and most true to life story I've ever read, 13 Nov 2000
By A Customer
David nobbs is a brilliant writer, and he combines that superb talent with fantastic observations of real life. Reggie's rollercaoster ride through life and the inane situations in which he finds himself, are just as true today as when he was created 30 years ago. Compelling reading, which brings both tears of laughter and tears of sadness.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read, 23 July 2010
This review is from: Reginald Perrin Omnibus: (Reginald Perrin) (Paperback)
An excellent read! I didn't get where I am today without knowing an excellent read when I read one!

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful take on the human condition, 18 Jun 2008
E. Dupuy (Bury St Edmunds) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Reginald Perrin Omnibus: (Reginald Perrin) (Paperback)
I didn't see the TV series when it first came out as I was really young but my boyfriend and I got the DVDs of the series and we have adored every minute of them; so much so that I bought him this book for his birthday. He read it, then I read it and we both want to read it again! It's much deeper than the sitcom as it has depth, but is never self-indulgent. The characters are better-rounded and the story-lines are so beautiful that, though at points challenging, they are continually executed with humour, grace and dignity. A wonderful, timeless take on the suburban condition.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book, 4 Jan 2006
Doktor Futtocks - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Reginald Perrin Omnibus: (Reginald Perrin) (Paperback)
I missed most of the TV series of 'Perrin', but have fond memories of what I did see. This book works as an excellent complement to it; neither the book or the series suffers in comparison to each other and the books add more to those who loved watching Reggie's travails.
David Nobbs is one hell of a writer. Five stars, but only because I couldn't give six.

5.0 out of 5 stars RIP, Reggie!, 16 July 1999
By A Customer
You cannot fail to admire Reggie Perrin-he got where he did by cocking a snook at everyone. He personifies that element of rebelliousness that we all supress, yet wish that we had the courage to explore. Damn the consequences with a 'why not' is his philosophy, and it works, goddammit! The Perrin stories are hilarious, and yet there is more to them than just a series of comic novels. Wodehouse describes his two formulae for writing a novel, and with RIP, David Nobbs has achieved both in one fell swoop. Reggie is the George Goodnight who didn't get the same opportunites; Ronnie Barker summed it up in his review-I laughed and I cried-what a marvellous, funny book.
When Reggie and Elizabeth leave their clothes on Chesil Bank, and are accosted by a tramp who 'didn't get where he got today without asking for 10p for a cup of tea' and who indicates the public telescope, you know what will happen, you hope and pray that it will happen, and when it does, you cheer, for in this crazy mixed up world, there is a little bit of sanity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very funny, but also a reflection on the natrure of life., 4 April 2001
By A Customer
I bought this book and read it ]from cover to cover with barely a pause. Even though it is set some time in the past the repetitive nature of Reggie's life and the pointless things that people around him go to such effort to do are still relevant today.
The book is excellently written and hillariously funny at times but I am sure that secretly we all wish that we had the nerve to break out of the hum drum and do something like Reggie.
However, not necessary the best book to read when you start you first job after college (as I did)!

5.0 out of 5 stars THE FUNNIEST BOOK I HAVE EVER READ!, 28 Jun 1999
By A Customer
This book could best be described as the great english comic novel. It is compulsive reading. It directly addresses the english sense of humour. Following in the footsteps (or leading the way for) TV series like Monty Python and Fawlty Towers. Thought provoking, and at times brilliant. You will not be disappointed. BUY THIS BOOK NOW!

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, and sad. Brilliant., 17 May 2009
Amazon Customer (Uckfield UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Reginald Perrin Omnibus: (Reginald Perrin) (Paperback)
Re-reading this after many years, a teenager when it first appeared, I am struck as much by the pathos as the humour. Nobbs writes brilliantly. He doesn't try to be artful. The prose is straightforward and clear, and all the more effective for it. I've always had fond memories of R.I.P., but now as a man in his mid-forties, I'm struck by how terribly true Nobbs' observations are. I empathise with Reggie. May be taking a trip to the beach soon!

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterclass in Comedy, 31 May 2014
This review is from: Reginald Perrin Omnibus: (Reginald Perrin) (Paperback)
I have actually seen all these episodes many times but everytime I see them I am in fits of laughter and I just cannot get enoughbnof them. I think they are all terrific and Leonard Rossiter is just the best.

Reginald Perrin Omnibus: (Reginald Perrin)
Reginald Perrin Omnibus: (Reginald Perrin) by David Nobbs (Paperback - 4 Feb 1999)
16.99