5.0 out of 5 stars Not into WW2 stuff
Published on 15 Jan 2007 by Mad Muvva

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but not as good as Burning Blue
Alright, but it did have some major editing faults (characters changing names ... for example Chuck Cartwright became Buck for a few pages then finally Chuck O'Neill) which did destroy my sense of story. I did report the problems to the publisher but have heard nothing yet. The plot did hold my attention and I enjoyed the flying scenes but it wasn't as good as Burning...
Published on 26 April 2006 by Alan J. Penhall

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Not into WW2 stuff, 15 Jan 2007
Mad Muvva (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Pair of Silver Wings (Hardcover)
I bought this book for my husband as he has an avid interest in the wars. He became engrossed and encouraged me to read it. I am glad I did. I clearly didn't read it as closely as the reader who commented on the editing; which is probably just as well because it may have spolit my enjoyment of what I consider to be a well written book. Just enough sentiment; just enough description; just enough love; just enough gore; just enough history. Beautiful and poignant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, 30 April 2006
Russell Irvine (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Pair of Silver Wings (Hardcover)
I didn't think any book could better The Burning Blue by the same author but this has by a very wide margin. The historical accuracy and characterisation is amazing. I thought historians were supposed to be boring. Not in this case.

Where in The Burning Blue I liked and cared for the main characters, I loved them in this book and shed real tears on their behalf. I now feel a deep sense of loss at having parted company. What am I to do? I plan to read the author's other novels as quick as I can but beg him to write more soon.

Please, please, please!

5.0 out of 5 stars Had me flying, 16 Mar 2006
This review is from: A Pair of Silver Wings (Hardcover)
A great read,once in a while a good read comes along after which
you cant pick up another book to read that comes close,this is one of those.
Starting in the present you jump back and forth to WW2 normally
I cant stand this but it works fine in this novel.
I highly recommend this book

5.0 out of 5 stars Emotive and thought-provoking, 18 July 2014
Amazing depth of knowledge and writing skill.
The then and now flitting back and forth keeps the mind perfectly engaged to the subject matter.
Brings home the sacrifice that many made for our freedom, and the profound effect the experience had on them.
I challenge this not to affect you in some way.

4.0 out of 5 stars pair of silver wings, 13 Jan 2013
good story good plot well paced couldnt put it down never sure where it was going next , look forward to the next james holland book

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely story - not just about flying, 2 Nov 2007
A. J. Sudworth "tonysudworth" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: A Pair of Silver Wings (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this one - bags of flying action particularly over Malta and a love story to boot. It just shows that people can be affected by war in different ways - the main character here is just a lad who went to war and fought not just over Malta but with the partisans in Italy - and although he would never admit it, was scarred for life - and its takes 50 years to try and come to terms with it.
The flying action is excellent you could almost taste the dust on the airfields in Malta and the scale and desperatin of the struggle to survive
The brutality of the war in Italy is also brough to life and the happiness and horror he experiences
Well recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 23 April 2014
This review is from: A Pair of Silver Wings (Paperback)
A superb read. So well crafted to the point I felt I was living the story. It makes one think of the extraordinary impact that the War had on so many lives.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read, 6 April 2014
An enchanting and very different book that starts slow but changes pace and drama several times. If you have any connection with wartime fighter pilots and the war in Malta and Italy this is a must read. It is written with tenderness and vitality.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read., 30 Mar 2014
This review is from: A Pair of Silver Wings (Paperback)
A good read. Very moving. Distressing. Puts you firmly in the war years of the 1940s. I recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, 18 Mar 2014
I really didn't like Edward Enderby at first, I found him rather cold and distant, just as the author wanted I suppose. As the book goes on and you read Edwards story though you can see why he was like he was. Brilliantly drawn characters, locations and great story telling. You don't have to be interested in military books to enjoy this wonderful book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

A Pair of Silver Wings
A Pair of Silver Wings by James Holland (Paperback - 2 Aug 2007)
7.99