5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant
After reading through god know's how many recommended 'Chic Lit' books I was starting to think there were not any good books out there! This book however, changed my opinion. I found it so captivating and exciting that I really couldn't put it down. It's one of those books that fits so brilliantly together at the end, that you sit there going "Ooohhhh! I see....." The...
Published on 3 Mar 2005 by buggliemonsta

3.0 out of 5 stars Good story but didn't like the style of the writing
Published on 13 Feb 2009 by JM

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written and with gothic tendencies this book will have you hooked., 17 Jan 2012
B. Robinson "Wyres" (Lancs, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lake Of Dead Languages (Paperback)
I read this book recently and really enjoyed it. Carol Goodman has been able to draw on her own experiences as a Latin teacher when writing this book. This is a truly engaging story that keeps you gripped as you turn the pages.

History appears to be repeating itself for Jane Hudson's pupils and they appear to be living out Jane's past. Secrets never lie buried for ever and as the story progresses we find out the secrets hidden in Jane's past.

The book is well written and at it's heart is the mystery that surrounds events in Jane's past. The story has gothic tendencies in parts and Goodman writes with some depth and knowledge of Latin and the formation of ice. The descriptive parts set the scenes well and the reader can almost see the events unfurling through the eyes of the narrator. I found myself rushing to read it to find out what happened in the end. I have to admit that I did guess who the villain of the story was but my enjoyment of the story was in no way spoiled by this at all.

Well worth reading if you've not discovered any books by this Author yet, I doubt you'll be disappointed. I know I wasn't.

4.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, 17 Jun 2010
I read this in 2 sittings and went ahead to buy other books by the author. Now, I'm not saying it perfect. There were some issues for me - first, I guessed pretty quickly what was going on. However, I still enjoyed reading it. Second, there were certain sections that were too long and I felt my eyes rapidly searching for the next line that would involve me. All that being said, I loved reading it and I do think its well plotted. The atmosphere is spot on and the characters are multi-dimensional. So I do recommend this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars VERY CLEVER, CANT PUT IT DOWN!, 13 Jun 2002
Jane Hudson is a single mother who as a teenager went through a great deal only confiding in her journal. Years later goes back to the school as a teacher and ends up facing her past yet again.
The book is breathtaking, written in both the present and the past, it is a book you will not want to put down until its finished and then you will wish it hadn't.
It has many interesting twists that will keep you guessing right until the end.
Brilliant read, I would definately recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good story but didn't like the style of the writing, 13 Feb 2009
JM (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Lake Of Dead Languages (Paperback)
I really liked the sound of this book but ultimately I was disappointed. I did enjoy the story and would heartily applaud Ms Goodman's plotting, but unfortunately I couldn't take to the way it was written at all. I found it quite heavy going in places, and didn't even like any of the nondescript characters. Overall I would say it's a good plot with lots of twists and turns to keep you guessing but the writing was too highbrow to make it a pleasure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent story - very well written, 31 Dec 2007
Tracey Priest (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lake Of Dead Languages (Paperback)
Im not going to go in to too much detail as others before me have already done this but I just wanted to say what a fantastic book this was! I planned to read it over the Christmas and New Year break at a slow pace and really enjoy getting absorbed! I did get absorbed but I couldnt put the book down and read it within 5 days!

It really is a book that grips you from the start. There are so many twists and turns in it that you never know what may be round the next corner and you cant wait to find out 'Who dunnit!'.

I would certainly recommend this book to others who enjoy psychological thrillers!

2.0 out of 5 stars Donna Tartt meets Womens Weekly, 30 Jan 2003
By A Customer
Remote college? Classics teachers and their relationships with their pupils? Bachanalian rites? Mysterious deaths? Sound a tad familiar?
This covers a lot of similar ground to The Secret History. What it loses is the amazing quality of Tartt's writing, strong identification with the main characters, plausibility, and real sense of someone who hasn't just read the classics, but who has also lived them. What it gains is a Womens Weekly infusion of relational problems, births deaths and marriages, and, in fairness, a faster pace and a rather greater sense of spookiness. The plotting isn't great - if you haven't spotted the main twist a third of the way in, you've been dosing, and the end sacrifices the limited plausibility it's built up to one twist too many

4.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 16 Jun 2004
This review is from: The Lake Of Dead Languages (Paperback)
This book tells the story of Jane Hudson, who has returned to her old school as a teacher. Events start repeating what happened during her final year and the book tells the story of the present along with flashbacks to the past. Although the story does get quite predictable, it is definitly worth reading. The only thing that stopped me giving it 5 stars was for all the latin and classical stories, which got a little boring.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Lake of Dead Languages (spoiler alert), 15 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Lake Of Dead Languages (Paperback)
First and foremost, do *not* read this book because you love Donna Tartt's The Secret History. That is a completely unfair (to all parties!) comparison and will leave you disappointed. That having been said, I will not compare this book to The Secret History because it would not come out in one piece of that one.

If you've now not lost the interest to read this book, I would happily recommend it completely on its own merit. It is a well-written, interesting book that displays Goodman's (considerable) talent for story-telling and her ability to draw the reader in. The beginning, particularly, moved very well and I found myself getting into this book very quickly.

I do have a couple of niggles though:

While the book is overall well-written, there were a few clunky moves that to my mind belied the author's (in)experience. The identity of the secret vandal at the school was obvious to the reader a lot sooner than it seemed to be to the narrator and that kind of stupidity is difficult to brook in a first-person narrator. The narrator is generally speaking difficult to identify and sympathise with as at times she comes across as inept and passive, and at others makes decisions and choices that make no sense whatsoever. Why on earth would she go out in the middle of the night in nothing but her nighty, in the howling wind and piling snow? Why would she ever even think to give up her portion of the inheritance seeing as she has a child to support and (supposedly) wishes to be independent of her domineering husband?! It is this kind of things that made me groan with frustration as I was reading this book.

I also did not really appreciate the ending: it falls flat both on the narrator's part as well as overall failing to deliver a convincing, well-structured final section. It's as if now that everyone's dead the author can't wait to wrap up and send the manuscript to the publisher.

I did immensely enjoy the author's knowledge of Latin and her way of weaving it into the plot. The classroom scenes where some of my favourite. The author was also very well able to convey the somewhat claustrophobic atmosphere of the all girls' boarding school, and for these offerings alone the book is worth a read. So, I would recommend it as an enjoyable and not too thought-provoking a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spellbinding, 19 May 2002
By A Customer
I recently brought The Lake of Dead Languages, purely by chance I might add (for I loved the cover). I love it. I normally spend my time with my face buried deep in non-fictional books but found that this book haunted me and i couldn't put it down before i had finnished it. It's about a woman that returns to here home town in order to teach where she herself was a student in her youth, but unpredictable events lead to another and you'll find yourself needing, no yearning, to read the next page. It's absolutely spellbinding.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thrilling read, 23 April 2003
Mrs. Fiona Wilton - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Lake Of Dead Languages (Paperback)
An excellent thriller which kept me riveted right until the denoument (which was a little unbelievable but ties things up very nicely). Centers around a girls boarding school and a young latin teacher (Swiss Chalet for grown-ups). Some clever writing and excerpts of Latin which add to the mystery and sense of history (a key theme)and its tendency to repeat itself.
Good for general entertainment -but it wont change your life.

The Lake Of Dead Languages
The Lake Of Dead Languages by Carol Goodman (Paperback - 2 Jan 2003)
7.19