5.0 out of 5 stars Wilt by Tom Sharpe
Published on 8 Dec 2003 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Acceptable
The book wasn't in as good condition as I had been led to believe, but totally acceptable for a light read
Published 10 months ago by Mrs. S. J. Brophy

5.0 out of 5 stars Wilt by Tom Sharpe, 8 Dec 2003
This review is from: Wilt: (Wilt Series 1) (Paperback)
I first read this book some twenty years ago on a train to London about to embark on my career in Higher Education. For the first time in my life I laughed out loud at a book. I sat on the train in public and could not help laughing at nearly every page, until tears streamed down my face. Tom Sharpes sartorial humour had not been surpassed since. Plumbers four, blow up dolls and further educationalists have never been the same since. Hugely funny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Laughed until I cried!!, 22 Dec 2010
This review is from: Wilt: (Wilt Series 1) (Paperback)
I first read this book when I was seventeen. I loved it then and I love it still. Just so funny, dry and sharp witted. An absolute classic. Now off to revisit the rest of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wilt, Tom Sharpe - Sharpe's finest hour, which, considering the comepetition is quite an achievement!, 3 Sep 2010
Victor (Hull, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Wilt: (Wilt Series 1) (Paperback)
This is an hilarious book that will have you curled up in stitches for hours. It tells the story of one Henry Wilt. A nobody, unnoticed by the world and lumbered in marriage to the formidable Eva, he spends his days as a college lecturer trying to keep day release students quiet for an hour and dreaming of being `someone'.

Into his boring life explodes an American couple, who befriend Eva. Suddenly Wilt's life will never be the same again as he finds himself involved with a rubber doll and accused of a triple murder. In typical Sharpe style we start with a set of innocuous circumstances, then gradually via a series of entirely plausible small steps we are suddenly launched into a bizarre and hilarious circumstances. Wilt's world is turned upside down almost without our noticing.

The results, as Wilt tries to find his way out of his circumstances are a joy to read. I cannot even think of his police interviews with Inspector Flint without curling up in laughter. Wilt calls on all his experience dealing with day release classes to run rings round the police, and confound them at every turn. And when he comes to make up a confession, his years of daydreaming suddenly have a use.

It's a screamingly funny book, not as anarchic of some of Sharpe's other works, but the series of character studies work wonderfully, giving a series of well drawn people. This attention to the characters and the clash of the various personalities is the source of much of the humour and works extremely well.

A classic tale and one that will definitely have you laughing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Laughs all the way in this fable of a man of the seventies., 2 April 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Wilt (Mass Market Paperback)
Readers of Wilt today will be amazed at just how "unknowing" the seventies Briton actually was. Wilt's mundane technical college existence (teaching day release gas fitters the joys of Lord of the Flies), is severely shaken when he stands accused of murdering his wife, an action which has dominated his fantasies for a number of years. Complete with a rogue's gallery of grotesque comic creations, this book will make even the most sober-sided of readers laugh out load. Enjoy, and pay attention to the wisdom of Dr. Board.

5.0 out of 5 stars made a very boring summer very funny, 6 Jun 2013
Niall Kelly - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wilt: (Wilt Series 1) (Paperback)
My sister & I were sent down to my uncles country house one summer in Athenry/Galway in the middle of nowhere at the age of 14 and 13 to be taught maths at night when he got home, exhausted. (Martin McGloin - thank you - rest his soul) I stayed in my cousins room who was away at college studying engineering. In his bookshelf, among all the boring engineering books was a small little book called Wilt. Oh how I laughed till I cried:)

I think I can admit that this was the book that got me to read books voraciously afterwards and have done so ever since, now almost 50 !! I passed on this book to my close 5 friends and we all became addicted to Tom's books...and many more since.

Suggest give this book to any 14 year old lad and change his life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, 13 Mar 2014
One of the funniest books I have read. A great start to the Wilt series. Gets more and more ridiculous as you go along

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious!, 9 Mar 2014
This book is therapy for anyone who works in an educational establishment!!! Lunch times are far more enjoyable, every staff room has a Wilt, Mr Morris, and as for Meat 1 and Bricklayers 2.... oh God... long time since I've had such a good laugh, ....

5.0 out of 5 stars hilarious, 26 Feb 2014
D.L.EDWARDS (LEEDS, YORKSHIRE United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
just as funny as I remember when I read it all those years ago.
recommended if you have a funny bone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Genre defining., 14 Feb 2014
This review is from: Wilt: (Wilt Series 1) (Paperback)
I admit I only bought this because Tom Sharpe passed away and I was curious how good he actually was. I was not disappointed. This is farce at its supreme best, often imitated but rarely bettered.

Master of his genre.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book, 27 Jan 2014
Love this book and twists in the plot. humorous, sharp and an easy read.

Starting to read series 2 now, hopefully enjoy it just as much.

ARRAY(0xaf5afa2c)

Wilt: (Wilt Series 1)
Wilt: (Wilt Series 1) by Tom Sharpe (Paperback - 7 Nov 2002)
6.29