Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 December 2008
I bought this after seeing it recommended as a modern children's classic, which it most certainly is. It is a very touching book that helps a parent deal with the sensitive issue of bereavement. It stimulates a 2-way conversation between adult and child about the subject of love and loss, which is not something that can be hidden, even from a child.

My four year old got a lot out of it, as did I.
on 14 October 2001
John Burninghams award winning book Grandpa is a beutifully written and illustrated tale about the close and imaginative relationship between a little girl and her Grandpa and how this relationship enriches both their lives.
It tells of the highs and lows of the relationship showing how such closeness can overcome hurts and ultimatley how missed he is when he is no longer there.
It has now been made into an award winning animated film by the makers of "The Snowman" with the inspired voice of Peter Ustinov.
on 6 February 2009
What a beautful picture book. I bought this because my father is getting very old and my 2 year old adores him. She's still a little young to understand it but everytie i get to the last page my eyes well up! A lovely refreshing change to all those repetitve books about baby animals not going to bed/getting to sleep etc.
on 1 May 2013
As a Grandad of three years standing I am in the same position as the Grandpa of this book. This is a childrens book in the classic mould illustrated by a famous book illustrator. It contains none of the Disney-style modern world and concentrates on the real relationship between a little child and an old man, with a lovely laconic text and various psychological insights. The last page has the little girl standing looking at Grandpa's empty chair. This could be taken as a cue for a conversation between parent and child about death. Be prepared to talk about this (or maybe tear the last page out?) (only joking). Signed: New Grandad.
on 14 February 2012
It was lovely to find this wonderfull book.
It has precious memories for me and I will pass them on.
Love it!
VINE VOICEon 26 November 2012
*could contain spoilers!!!*

I first laid eyes on this book where I work ina day nursery and was charmed immediately. The lovely tale of the realtionship between a little girl and her Grandfather is moving beyond belief. Not least because i just lost my beloved Grandad and the piucture of the emty chair at the end so resonates with me I had to take a moment to catch my breath. The two love to play. Pretending to make ice cream or spending a day at the beach. One day, Grandpa is too poorly to play what will happen to their relationship? so charming it's a must read for any child and a great reminder that Grandparents are a true gift.
on 19 March 2014
A good book for discussing the death of a loved one over a long period. Beautifully illustrated, gentle and supportive for parents who also need to come to terms with death.
on 24 April 2014
I think this book is great for children who have lost a relative. It says more with the pictures than it could with words and helps children to talk about their feelings.
on 11 May 2013
beautiful colours my granddaughter Pippa loves it and enjoys reading it with her Grandpa. A special book for reading together
on 17 February 2015
A beautiful, simple, honest and straight forward way to introduce the children to death. My eldest son cried because he didn't like seeing the empty chair without grandpa in it and, frankly, neither did I. I can't recommend it enough and my nine year old agrees. We asked my youngest (who is four) what he liked about it but he said "nothing". Might be best for ages 5 and over although I think it's suitable for aged three upwards from experience.