5.0 out of 5 stars Warning: do not read in public
As a keen cyclist (well, 50 miles a week) and a huge Tour de France fan, I was looking forward to this as a substitute for Channel 4's absent coverage of the race this year. What I didn't expect was that as well as being an informative, inspirational and - yes - moving account of a splendidly hopeless amateur's attempt to "do the Tour", French Revolutions would...
Published on 9 Aug 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars French Revolutions: Cycling the Tour De France
OK if you are an ardent cyclist and Tour de France fan but for me personally Spanish Steps was a funnier and better read all round. I guess I was hoping for more insight into the towns visited.
Published on 3 Oct 2010 by La Chenie

‹ Previous | 1 2 313 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book, 15 July 2001
By A Customer
I read 'Continental Drifter' and thought the central idea was silly, even though the author is obviously talented. I just asked myself why bother with such a silly idea for an entire book? This is different altogether - a very funny but quite serious book, along the lines of 'A walk in the woods' by Bill Bryson. Both men (almost middle-aged) start out trying to be funny about their respective athletic activities but gradually you (and they) realise how much they enjoy them, and how deeply they start to seep into their identities. I really liked this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great read!, 10 Jun 2002
This review is from: French Revolutions: Cycling the Tour de France (Paperback)
I was attracted to this book by the cover only, but having started to read it, I found that I couldn't put it down! A delightful insight into one man's struggle with himself his bike and the French. Excellent, and very funny!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious and inspiringly down to earth, 29 Aug 2001
Not only is this book extremely entertaining, but also surprisingly informative for anybody interested in the history of the Tour de France or cycle touring. As a cyclist I could relate to many of his experiences, often making his experiences even more hilarious. Above all, I found it extremely refreshing to read a book about cycling, written by someone who did something genuinely inspiring, yet isn't a professional, but actually a pretty average cyclist.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly entertaining read, 15 July 2014
Diane H. Smith "DiDi" (Oxon, UK) - See all my reviews
Bought this for my dad who used to love riding his bike but at 91 tends to limit himself to reading books and watching the Tour de France on television. He loved the book and said it made him laugh out loud several times. I have bought him two other Tim Moore books so hope they are all as enjoyable as this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, well written and inspiring read, 5 July 2014
I wasn't sure what to expect from this book, I'd not heard of the author previously and it could've been a scientific tome. Instead it proved to be a narrative from a true pro road racing fan who had not tried to emulate his heroes until his mid-30s. There was some all-opening detail of how things used to be in pro cycling. I wasn't sure when the book was set (2000) until a little way in to the read - there are some sections that show there age (references to the French Franc, a heroic Armstrong) but these take nothing away from the story of Moore's ride.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for Tour de France fans, 17 Feb 2007
This review is from: French Revolutions: Cycling the Tour de France (Paperback)
I have been lucky enough to follow a few Tours in my life usually on my own and on a motorbike with very little luggage and this book reminds me of the emotions I went through on those journeys. There was none of the pain obviously, but the scenery and constant weather watching brings it all back. The villages he describes come alive for one day in the year just because this amazing event is passing through. Until you've been up Ventoux, it's hard to imagine how anyone could cycle up it after being in the saddle all day but the author's references to the late Tom Simpson was also poignant reminding us of how he died 40 years ago on that mountain. This book is funny, descriptive and a great read for anyone who is in awe of cycling as I am and for someone who has never really ridden a bike before, I think he did rather well. Who cares if he cheated? All he did was face the stark realisation that the men who compete in the Tour de France are totally dedicated sportsmen with a passion most of us will never know.

5.0 out of 5 stars genuninely funny, 19 Oct 2001
Tim Moore doesn't just cycle himself around the route of the 2000 Tour de France, he takes us with him strapped to his paniers. This book will have the tears rolling down your cheeks with laughter, but it's touching too, and inspirational for all those bored with sitting on their backside behind a computer. Funnier than Bill Bryson...

5.0 out of 5 stars one-liners and pedal turns in equal measure, 22 May 2003
This review is from: French Revolutions: Cycling the Tour de France (Paperback)
Moore's dry and consistently self-deprecating humour gives a new perspective on both the folly and grandeur of the Tour de France, making this a very human account of one of the most inhuman challenges in world sport. For lovers of the Tour there are plenty of historical anecdotes thatshow the many faces of the Tour over the years. Admittedly, residents of some of the many villes d'etape that he passes through, and in particular hoteliers and restauranteurs, may be less than flattered with the light that they are cast in, but then ultimately it is Moore himself who comes in for the harshest treatment, this account giving a brutally honest, and hilarious appraisal of the cheating and failures (both endemic in the Tour past and present) that counterpoint the many successes and achievements on the road to the Champs Elysees and to becoming a 'Giant of the Road'.
Like all great travel books, and this IS a great travel book, the reader is drawn along and into this epic and foolhardy adventure by the easy narrative which flows almost as easily as the liquid refreshment that accompanies the cycling.

5.0 out of 5 stars I think this is the funniest book I've ever read, 10 Oct 2002
C. Reid (Edinburgh and Tampa) - See all my reviews
I laughed out loud more times than I can count. Could be a seriously embarrassing book to take on a plane or train journey, unless you don't care about disturbing your fellow travellers with your chortles.
The book is about a journalist's journey around the route of the Tour De France, taking in most of the stages covered by the professionals, a couple of months before the race itself.
Moore is a very engaging writer, and very open about his (rather pathetic) need to identify with past and present Tour De France heroes - even though he's new to cycling, in his late thirties, and not (at the start of the book) particularly fit.
Probably you'll understand and relate to the book best if you're a follower of the Tour (expecially the Phil Liggett/Paul Sherwen combo on Channel 4/ITV), or a keen cyclist, or both.
Reminiscent of early Bill Bryson, I thought - but (for me) much funnier.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Funny Book, 6 Aug 2014
Jane (Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
Like many other reviewers I found myself giggling out loud whilst reading this book. It is extremely well written and very funny. There is also a lot of very interesting background info re the Tour de France (or Tower of France - read the book!). I read it whilst the 2014 Tour was on which seemed even better if possible. I ordered "Gironimo!", Tim Moore's book about riding the 1914 Giro d'Italia route, before I finished this one so I could immediately move on to Tim's next cycling adventure. If you like a laugh, can appreciate the struggle of an ordinary mortal trying to complete an extraordinary cycle tour and have even a very basic interest in cycle racing I can't recommend this book highly enough.

‹ Previous | 1 2 313 | Next ›

French Revolutions: Cycling the Tour de France
French Revolutions: Cycling the Tour de France by Tim Moore (Paperback - 6 Jun 2002)
Used & New from: £0.01